Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 05.05.2004, 02:55 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Rx7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7000
[Off topic, but does the virus sample in 16k or 24?
Not kilos. Bits. Virus has 24-bit processing with samplerate of 96kHz (correct me if I'm wrong about the samplerate).
Thats awsome, I just went to buy the virus from a site that bills you installments instead of the full payment right away, but all they have is the Indigo, the KC is out at the momment, as soon as it comes in im buying it.

Heres a side question, say the symphony of voices cd, played threw the virus instead of fruity loops, are they gonna sound diffrent, and what makes them sound diffrent, is the virus gonna make the sample sound better?
Old 05.05.2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Heres a side question, say the symphony of voices cd, played threw the virus instead of fruity loops, are they gonna sound diffrent, and what makes them sound diffrent, is the virus gonna make the sample sound better?
No, no, no, no, no, no. Virus is not a sampler. Virus is a virtual analog. You can't play samples with Virus. If you get Virus you'll have to use software as a sampler.
Old 05.05.2004, 04:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you could route single thru the virus via multi output\input card or hw sampler and then it will sound very different
Old 05.05.2004, 04:23 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, no. Virus is not a sampler. Virus is a virtual analog. You can't play samples with Virus. If you get Virus you'll have to use software as a sampler.

Old 05.05.2004, 05:12 PM
Administrator

I'd really advice you to get a workstation instead of Virus first. I can bet my arse on that you need more sampled stuff than analog sounds. And workstation can provide you average leads and pads.

So the case is like this:

You buy a Virus - Excellent analog pads and leads. No sampled stuff (choirs, pianos, etc)
You buy a workstation - Good set of sampled stuff + sampling option. Average analog pads and leads.

So get a workstation and get a Virus afterwards when you can afford it. With price of Virus kC you get very good workstation. For example you could get Motif ES6 or Fantom-X6 for 2200 (There's also Triton Extreme-61, but it's almost 2500,-). A bit above of the price of Virus kC, but those synths are bloody good and they might even provide you enough analog leads and pads so that you might not need a VA afterall.

Edit: And you can always expand the analog sound arsenal of a workstation with sample CD's.
Old 05.05.2004, 05:46 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Ok I hear what your saying, so if the sampler is my top priority, whats pretty much the best sampler the fantom s?

Another side question, When you load up a sample cd into the workstation / synth, does it stay in there as basic patches and then let you save them once you modify them as seperate patches or do they all just disapeer when you turn it off>?
Old 05.05.2004, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ok I hear what your saying, so if the sampler is my top priority, whats pretty much the best sampler the fantom s?
It's a matter of taste. Triton can do sampling and Motif can do sampling. I prefer Roland stuff because of better ROM sounds.

Quote:
Another side question, When you load up a sample cd into the workstation / synth, does it stay in there as basic patches and then let you save them once you modify them as seperate patches or do they all just disapeer when you turn it off>?
They disappear when you turn the machine off. But you can store the samples from CD's to harddrives for fast reload so you don't have to juggle with ten CD's.
Old 06.05.2004, 12:44 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

So if you load a sample and spend alot of time on effects etc making a patch, when you reload it your gonna have to do it all over again>? At least with software when I make something it stays.
Old 06.05.2004, 05:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you just press the save\store button man...
Old 06.05.2004, 06:01 AM

Quote:
So if you load a sample and spend alot of time on effects etc making a patch, when you reload it your gonna have to do it all over again>? At least with software when I make something it stays.
It is just as easy to save Samples and Sample-templates to an external media (if your sampler/workstation doesn't have any internal storage), as storing Samples with-in your software based stuff.

Basicly if you don't save, then you will have to remake what ever had in memory before.

Basicly I'd advise you to go for a dedicated sampler or a sampler/workstation (as many of the other guys have stated).

If you go for a sampler/workstation, you will have (usually) a good selection of sounds already built in (no need to sample new sounds at the start), but then once the built in sounds become tiresome, you have the option to sample in new ones (of course saving them as you go, so you can reload them later, after you turn the machine off.

If you go for a dedicated sampler, you will not have the onboard sounds built in to the machine. In this case you will need to sample them in. Of course these sounds can be saved for re-use to an external media (hard drive, zip or what ever).

Hope this may clear it up a little for you.

Good luck with what ever you choose. Let us know how it goes.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut