Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 27.04.2004, 07:57 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Aye, the unison is oft a factor for me. 2 or 3 voices is absolutely lovely for detuned saw stuff, retaining its clear-cut roughness. Anything more and it turns to mush/noise. I know what you mean, though, on tweaking various patches on the Virus just a little bit takes it into mush-factor. Seems like the Virus has sometimes slightly-hidden 'sweet-spots' that you need to find and take advantage of.

PS > Nice track DS, great background music while you're working. Real 'thinking' catalyst material, that puts your brain into gear.
Old 06.05.2004, 01:56 PM

When i first got the Virus I got into a habit of using unison 'twin' on everything and I mean EVERYTHING!. Now, I use it very sparingly......and only use subtle effects. I enjoy good clarity in the sounds I make now.

Glad my adviced helped ya a bit.

*One last piece of advice. The Virus has really great multimode filters and most people probably use the two filters simultaneously ALL THE TIME......I know I did. Try using one filter.......you will get better clarity on synth strings and some pad sounds. After all......most analog poly's of the 80's only had 1 filter anywayz!

DS
Old 06.05.2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Why didn't these replies get added to this thread?:-

http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/vie...ghlight=#19184

Actually, on look at my post history, a number of posts weren't posted in the actual thread for all to see, but instead remain invisible!
Old 06.05.2004, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Test.

[Edit: Still invisible! Please reply if you can see this post.... ]
Old 16.06.2004, 11:04 AM

Wow I was right 3 times in a row. Thats pretty great!

heheheeeh

DS
Old 11.11.2004, 11:09 PM
Pro
Pro

I would like to ad my 2 cents to this thread. I work in Hi Fi, I DJ hard trance and I produce as well as study accoustics, production and anything that remotely has anything to do with sound.

For a start. Catagorically vinyl is a better format from cd aside from the one problem of its deteriation over time. Vinyl is a true analogue format and is not restricted to any specific frequency range. The limitations often come from the playback equipment. If you watch speakers on a hifi as the turntable plays the intro of a record you will see the speakers moving in and out at quite massive excursions and yet you will not hear a sound. This is due to the fact (as most of you know) that vinyl is not restricted to the 20hz-20khz range of cd. This also applies to the higher frequencies.

I can't hear anything above 20hz anyway so what does it matter I hear you say... Well, those frequencies above our hearing range combined with frequencies in our hearing range create harmonics that we perceive as richening the sound and thus consider it more pleasurable to listen to.

The other huge reason that cd is crap is that the PCM format (Pulse Code Modulation) was a flawed theory right from the start. Sony has developed a new system call DSD (Direct Stream Digital) which is by far a better system and was originally developed as a system to archive sony's studio masters from over the years in a digital medium that would not be degraded over time. After finding the format a success, someone at sony realised that if they bypassed the PCM part of the process and encoded the analogue signal straight to DSD. This is how the SACD format was developed. Unfortunately the equipment isn't available for you and me to be able to record direct to DSD as yet.

This is my humble attempt to dispelled some myths and share some knowledge.
Old 15.11.2004, 08:36 PM

Maybe this would explain the difference in sound between true analog and digital VA?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....