Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 18.09.2006, 10:26 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default getting a track ready for mastering - my first time...

Hey,

What's the best practice for getting your track ready for mastering in terms of the levels of sound etc...

I've been using vintage warmer, UAD plugs and an outboard exciter on my track to make it sound as big as possible, but will that spoil the job the professional mastering dudes will do?

is it best to just deliver a clean sounding mix without beefing up the bottom end and making the high end polished with excitement?

or is anything I do to make the sound richer and warmer just going to add to the quality of master?

I'm getting myself hyped about having a track that's good enough to be mastered (after about 8 years of practice - damn I'm slow...)

so, in my heightened state of hype, I'd love to hear from anyone who's been though this process and can tell me what it's like to send and receive from a pro mastering studio...

cheers,

pseudo
Old 18.09.2006, 04:27 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Personaly this is how i finish a mix:
peaks: avarage peaks are between -6 to -4 db you dont have to get it any louder and then be forced to use a limited on the 2Bus to get thos nasty digital distorted +0db peaks under control.
The mastering engineer has better tools and methods to geting it loud and squashed.

stereo enhancment- avoid it,he will take care of that side aswell.

2Bus compression: that i usualy like to do just to "glue the mix" usualy 1.5\2:1 ratio with 2-4 db of GR.

EQ on 2Bus: if you really feel like you need it ,use it but use it gently because it will be hard to correct in the mastering stage if your Eqing is not what the mastering engineer has in mind.

ah and the format of course ,44.1khz 24bit Wav

good luck
Old 18.09.2006, 08:18 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

wicked, thanks tomer

how much sexier does one of your records sound when it comes back from mastering?
Old 18.09.2006, 10:06 PM

You need to speak to the mastering engineer to find out what the ME expects. If you're tracks are at 24bit, leave them at 24bit, but yeah, just find out from the ME what is best for him/her.

As for additional processing, why not bring in both versions? There's no harm in bringing in multiple mixes and going through them with the ME.

Alot of the time, if your tracks are well mixed, the difference between the non-mastered and mastered versions are very slight. Overall loudness, and some fine tuning to make the mixes translate onto other systems.

I've only been through the process twice, both with mid-level ME's, and I think next time I'll really go to town and book in with one of the top guys. It really is a great experience hearing your track being played through a pair of $20k monitors in a $100k treated room.

Be sure to speak up if you're hearing something you dont like.

Have fun mate!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 19.09.2006, 11:49 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Hey,

I got in touch with LOUD recordings, and they recommend delivering three mixes. One without treatment, one with half treatment, and one as big as I can get it. LOUD are regarded as one of the best in the UK, but I'll not be able to actually go down to their studio

Actually, maybe I'm lying... My mum lives in the same town as their studio.

"No, really mum, I'm coming to visit you because I want to spend some quality time with you... honest..."
Old 20.09.2006, 12:51 AM
Pro
Pro

My advice, Leave at least 5db of headroom

Don't do any dithering

Don't use any exciters

Use as little comression as you can get away with

The first two are absolutely essential
Old 20.09.2006, 06:30 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

ta Gopal..

Your drumstation 2, do you recommend it? I'm looking for one and can't find one
Old 20.09.2006, 11:59 PM
Pro
Pro

Pseudonym, I love my Drumstation 2, it is probably one of my best purchases so far. If you listen to the track "Drunken Strut" in my soundclick link you'll hear it in action. It is completely unprocessed in that track. No compression, no reverb, just subtle eq on the mixing desk. If you want to write techno or electro or something similar and you want authentic 808 and 909 sounds it simply cannot be beaten. Would cost 5-6 times as much for the real things that sound EXACTLY the same. I just wish it had a 909 style step sequencer.
Old 21.09.2006, 11:02 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

right then...

where's my Drumstation 2!?

So, what's the difference between a Drumstation, and the D-Station?

-- damn cool track btw

I can't believe that's with no compression etc... It just sounds right - cuts through your mix, has plenty of bounce and bottom... grrr -

I've spent days trying to make my kicks sound right with EQ and compression etc, and even the Virus has some ace kicks, but I just can't get it sounding right like that immediately does...

woe is me
Old 22.09.2006, 01:08 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

hey,

got myself a drumstation coming tomorrow...

bit of flash cash and a friend who didn't want theirs anymore - yee ha!