Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 13.07.2006, 11:15 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default How do you make the sounds on the virus wider?

How do you make the sounds on the virus b wider? I know if you add a little chorus but thats about all I know. I know when i'm using cubase sx3 I can pan the sounds a little wider without going over the top but the sounds still sound pretty mono. Although they are very clean and beutiful sounding.

Cant you make sounds wider by using offset oscilators or something? i havent got a clue how to do it.
Old 14.07.2006, 12:56 AM
This forum member lives here

How about adding unison and spread? Maybe a phaser? Yeah, you could also detune an osc against another...

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 14.07.2006, 09:43 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Thanks i'll try that. By the way, do you know of a vst or direct x chorus plugin that is just amazing?
Old 14.07.2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj teknovibe
Thanks i'll try that. By the way, do you know of a vst or direct x chorus plugin that is just amazing?
I dont have a VST chorus that I use except for the standard SX one, but it is pretty average. Sorry, cant help you there...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 14.07.2006, 03:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

basic delay based doubling will do.
Old 14.07.2006, 09:48 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
basic delay based doubling will do.
Not really mate cos the higher quality it is the better results you get and crap delays are the same as crap reverb, they just push the audio further to back of the mix.So maybe thats ok for you but I want very high quality effects. I know for a fact by using higher quality effects my mixes have become better sounding since I started using higher quality plugins.
Old 14.07.2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator

Which plugins are you using?

What sort of sound (and in which genre) are you trying to achieve?

Delays or double-tracking will immediately give you 3D depth. As will phasing, reverb, stereo-width enhancers (but be careful to not lose mono-compatibility).

However, you can achieve a lot by layering different sounds together, per musical part. Like using two Pad sounds, and panning one of them hard Left, and the other hard Right. Or modulating the panning, and/or crossfading them. You need to be creative.

Vibrato is also good, and can be very subtle (if you select a slow vibrato frequency) but add greater depth.

Add lots of modulation to the sound, like modulating the pitch of the oscillators, and the filters, but only subtley, and it'll sound less static.

But layering different sounds is where it's at.
Old 15.07.2006, 07:44 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

I usualy use the Waves Doubler\Tapdelay\Audio damage Discord (brand new! also does eventide type harmonizing :P ) for doubling

by basic i meant settings,you may choose the hw or software of your liking...
Old 15.07.2006, 11:00 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

How good is the waves doubler? Is it a kind of chorus? I'm trying to producer trance leads and pads etc.. I have the vengeance soundset so i'm in no need os sounds but wanna widen them a tad so to fill out the songa little. Also, on my virus b, I wanna layer some pads over the top of some arpegio patterns but dont know how to activate the arpegiator for the arpegios but not the pads, I can only seem to find how to activate the arpegiator on the whole.

How many different sounds is good to layer? I was thinking about a pad panned hard right and left on the synth, an arpegiated pattern and then over the top a high cut saw arpegio pattern to use these layered sounds as the basic ryhtmn of the track.
Old 15.07.2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Duplicate a trackand pan the tracks opposite. Then add random quantisation.