Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 23.11.2005, 10:18 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
PS - why do people keep wanting the Virus' hypersaw to emulate a JP's supersaw? I dont think its possible because the oscilators and filters have a totally different tone.DS
Finally somebody who understands what I mean.
Old 23.11.2005, 12:23 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hi,

Why do I hope that the TI with its hyersaw can emulate the JP8000? Simple, the JP8000 isn't available anymore and hard to get second-hand (and I don't like to buy second-hand gear cause you never know if there aren't any hidden defects in it or something), but also the JP8000 with only 2 parts multi/8 note polyphony is really outdated.

I am the first to say that I wish that Roland would have come up with a follow up to there JP8000, you know, a JP8000 with Virus specs, but this hasn't happened.

So therefore, the TI seems the only powerful synth available right now for emulating the JP8000.

Even if it can't emulate the above JP8000 demo exactly, could you at least post a demo of how close it can get. For instance, didn't Ben say in some old post that the Hypersaw would have more energy in the high frequencies etc.. I would love to hear that.. why does nobody with a TI want to even try and post good audio demos?! Is that really too much to ask?!

I hope that still somebody will try to help with my question! Many thanks!
Old 23.11.2005, 03:49 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Tell you what. Someone, grab a JP80x0 and TI, take off all the effects, envelopes - everything - make it completely dry. Then make two demos. One with one single Hypersaw oscillator, and one with one single Supersaw oscillator.
Then set up a small and VERY simple MIDI piece - say one different note or chord per bar, for eight bars or so - and then program the filter cutoff to open up, on its own, for both the TI and JP demos (maybe do several of the TI for each filter, ie. standard Virus filter, Moog filter, Moog 1-pole filter etc.). Finally slowly modulate the Hypersaw/Supersaw detune parameters so you can hear how that works/sounds.

Then post the results.

That'd be the fairest way to compare and analyse them, imho.

Surely we can knock up a quick MIDI file for anyone who has a TI or JP to record the raw hyper/super saw in this way?
Old 23.11.2005, 04:04 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

That's what I would like to hear, but why not simply recreate the JP8000 demo song I posted above in the first message of this thread with a TI! That's why I posted it you know! It's a simple melody (2 note harmony, 1 bass note and 1 lead note).

I am really curious to see if the TI Hypersaw has as much energy in the high frequencies then the JP8000 and how warm it sounds. How close it is possible to get to the original. That was really my question.

Isn't there anybody at all with a TI here who can do this please?!! Thanks!
Old 23.11.2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance123
That's what I would like to hear, but why not simply recreate the JP8000 demo song I posted above in the first message of this thread with a TI! That's why I posted it you know! It's a simple melody (2 note harmony, 1 bass note and 1 lead note).

I am really curious to see if the TI Hypersaw has as much energy in the high frequencies then the JP8000 and how warm it sounds. How close it is possible to get to the original. That was really my question.

Isn't there anybody at all with a TI here who can do this please?!! Thanks!
To your first point. People just can't be arsed to spend the time doing that.....especially when they're over worked in a studio as it is...

To your second point. Your not the only one who's been curious to find this out....and Id have to say....that from what Ive heard and know about the Virus it will not have the same energy in higher frequencies that your after. The Virus sounds warmer than a JP8000 because it has less high energy frequencies coming through!

I'd say its very unlikely the hypersaw sounds anything like the supersaw. You have to realise the both synths have very different 'sounding' oscilators and filters. If you really want the JP8000 supersaw sound....then buy one and grit your teeth to its 'limitations' and save yourself ?1000 whilst your at it. The JP is not old in historic terms......its barely 7 years old. Try buying polysynths that are 25-30yrs old.....now that really does make you second guess

Hope someone can provide the answer your looking for

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 23.11.2005, 10:51 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Without doing a demo for you because as DS put it I simply cannot be arsed..... but I have owned several jp8080s and now a TI, and I can tell you the hypersaw sounds close, but not exact.....and you wont get it exact either.

The filter is noticeably different especially with a lot of res added (the TI and all other virus models goto shit when a lot of res is added) and yes its still lacking somewhat in the high freqs but its better than it was on previous models without the hyperosc. The onboard EQ helps with this aswell. Saying that though the jp80xx filter sounds more digital to me whereas the TIs is more clean and fluid.

The ssaw does sound more fuller and richer, even when the hypsersaw is at 9osc, 8 unison, full spread with delay on its still not fatter in all the senses of the word. Again tho, because of all those extra options the amount of configuribility you have with the hypersaw gives you a much larger palette to work with to alter the sound, where the 80xx is very limited. And I also think the hyper sounds more natural.....check out TI patch 'butterfly'. A lovely sounding pad similar to something Armin or rank1 would use today.

And so, you can get very close and the hypersaw can easily fill the role of the ssaw and is even better at some applications (the ssaw has a VERY dated 1999/2000 sound to it ) But even the best sound designer wont be able to fool the people who know the distictive jp80 ssaw sound, they are simply different beasts.

Personally if I had to choose I would go for the hyper now. Dont get me wrong, I love the 80xx sound and its been in some fantastic songs...alas the ssaw has been done to death and back now and when I hear a song with it in it just bores me (unless used it some original out of this world way - unlikely) The hyper tho has given us a lot more options for a newer sound.

ten
Old 23.11.2005, 11:25 PM

Okay, I'll bite. This was recorded straight from my Virus b with no other processing. I could probably get a lot closer to the original if I used external processing (i.e. EQ). Ironically enough, there were no saw waves used in the making of this patch

http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...C26PPOBE7TXFBZ

Peace \/
Dan
www.soundclick.com/chisel316
Old 24.11.2005, 12:39 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Hang on... Who said I used Hypersaw in the mp3?

I said I tweaked the patch, I changed all OSC's to saw and used max unison on all OSC's and turned all filters to analogue.

I never made a point that?s the Hypersaw sounded like the supersaw once. I was just replying to a request for the mp3 using that patch.

Most of the highs in the jp mp3 are reverb and effects BTW the same effect you can find on the TI but I did not have the time.

I think the mp3 I made apart from the bug's pops and clicks sounds more analogue than the jp mp3.

FSD: you are right Hypersaw does not sound like supersaw. BUT the TI can still make the same sound with its SAW's with the right tweaks!
Old 24.11.2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

So, absolutely no-one's going to demo the TI's raw hypersaw osc for us?

Is it that crap that you're embarassed, or something? I'm beginning to wonder...
Old 24.11.2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
So, absolutely no-one's going to demo the TI's raw hypersaw osc for us?

Is it that crap that you're embarassed, or something? I'm beginning to wonder...
Its because whenever people ask to hear the hypersaw they envariably want to compare it to the supersaw. Since you will never be able to make the hypersaw sound like the supersaw....why bother trying?

Its like someone asking me...'Screams....can you post a patch off the KC that sounds like a classic Jupiter 8 pad'.......I know this cant be done....so why bother?

The hypersaw is probably good in its own right. Unfairly....people keep on wishing to make these comparisons.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....