Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 14.07.2005, 10:34 PM

Hey DS,

You should definitely check out the Yahoo group I mentioned in the above post. I know about the SCI Pro One. I'm not sure what Vince used for drums on Don't Go. I decided to make it all on the Virus since it will be my first 100% Virus song (and since I don't have a SCI Pro One). I'm using an MPC 1000 to sequence it so it's also 100% hardware created (except for when I record it to my PC and save as MP3)

As for MIDIs.. they're all over the net. I downloaded a ton of Devo MIDIs last night. But I don't use them for what you might think. I always sequence my songs from scratch. I open the MIDI files in MIDINotate so I can view the 'sheet music' it creates. That's all I use them for -- a reference to the music. I think after I finish Don't Go, I'm gonna have a go at Whip It.

Peace \/
Dan
Old 18.07.2005, 02:22 PM

Hey Gary,

I have a good patch for you to try and create on your Virus -- the lead synth from Berlin's Metro! I heard it on the way to work this morning and was thinking how close we can get on our Virus.

Peace \/
Dan
Old 18.07.2005, 09:31 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
Dan, give me a sample and def have a go!

Currently working on Visage - Fade to Grey, and it is sounding very good!.

I'll have it online tomorow night by 7ish

The reason I am making so many short demo's is because I'm currently sound programming, but plan to do the full covers in 2 weeks or so ! ! !

Regards

Gary
One of my favourites, looking forward to this one m8y
Old 19.07.2005, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
Dan, give me a sample and def have a go!
Here it is...

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2I...B1NGRR5PJ8S8FG

It's the lead synth solo from Berlin's Metro -- most excellent song.

Peace \/
Dan
Old 02.08.2005, 04:31 AM

Glad to hear from you Gary! Send us some tunes when you're done! I'm putting the finishing touches on Don't Go and then I'll post it. I was heavliy into trance before I took a detour through synth-pop land

Peace \/
Dan
Old 03.08.2005, 12:29 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

since a few month i am into 80s electronics and like to listen to a lot of tunes from this era. and have a lot ideas about transforming the 80s formulars into 2005 dancemusic which is realy realy connected imo.
and know a see a forum and many people share the opinion! nice too see. its a way to go..
well, i believe that the advance of classic analogsounds of the 80s is less the sound itself, it comes more with with the lines (1/8 arppegio for example) in combination with the open and honesty played drumsets and the less of overused effects. its all naturally and a little bit rough, thats why i like it very much. and thats why it works good on people imo.
Old 03.08.2005, 08:48 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantik
since a few month i am into 80s electronics and like to listen to a lot of tunes from this era. and have a lot ideas about transforming the 80s formulars into 2005 dancemusic which is realy realy connected imo.
and know a see a forum and many people share the opinion! nice too see. its a way to go..
well, i believe that the advance of classic analogsounds of the 80s is less the sound itself, it comes more with with the lines (1/8 arppegio for example) in combination with the open and honesty played drumsets and the less of overused effects. its all naturally and a little bit rough, thats why i like it very much. and thats why it works good on people imo.
Oh no I dont believe it....someone here apart from me has realised the secret formula of where to take progressive dance music for the next 10 years.

I agree on 80's song composition....but I place GREAT emphasis on the synth sounds used when trying to describe 80's music. Here, check these two 80's videos out 1) Howard Jones 'What is Love' and 2) Howard Jones 'New Song'

Alternatively, listen to some 80's Genesis, Madonna, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears, Thompson Twins etc etc for some great synth sounds. Also, listen to some early 80's breakdance or hip hop and it sounds very fresh.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 03.08.2005, 08:51 AM

Music to my ears sounds 'better' or more 'interesting' when its become slightly dated....Id say that music from around 1997-8 is only now starting to sound quite cool. Maybe its like this for most people?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 03.08.2005, 09:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Genesis, Madonna, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears,
DS
All of those had some great sounds and ideas, I loved any Duran Duran stuff (I was only about 6-9 at the time I think 'View to a kill' was great, very original and awesome sounds, even the song structure sounded very different from most things at that time.

ten
Old 03.08.2005, 03:58 PM

Interestingly, View to a Kill was written and recorded in 3 weeks. Features Jupiter 8.

Even more interestingly....and i dont expect any of you to believe this (but i might be able to get a photograph) but Nick Rhodes has just bought my m8's mint Jupiter 8 off Ebay for alot of money.

DS