Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 05.07.2005, 09:39 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to Garym
Default Eurythmics - sweet dreams are made of this

sweet dreams are made of this!

- Who am I to disagree???? -

Yes!!!, we all know that classic 80's Vintage rocking masterpiece by the Eurythmics, which is now a legend for generations to remember!. Nothing can beat the awesome classic analog feel / sound of that tune and 80's in general!. I've heard Prophets and JP's of today come close!, but the big question is, can our virus do it?, I should think so!. Put Trance & Dance music / Rap & Urban to rest for a while!. Let's focus on the best Music we have had so far, I'm talking alot of 80's!. Digital Screams will love this! . The purpose of this topic is to talk about the sounds used in that song, and similar songs. Let's make this the 80's topic. Post demo's and samples of sounds!!. I am working on the lead sounds used in Sweet Dreams. At the moment only a quick attempt . The virus can emulate this very well!. What do you think about Gary Numan / Ultravox?

Regards

Gary
Old 05.07.2005, 10:46 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

if i remember correctly that lead sound was a unisoned 2 oscilator saw.
if one virus part doesnt sound fat enough use another part and another.
the whole magic of the virus lays in its layering capabilities i belive.
Old 05.07.2005, 11:01 AM

Yes it does!. That sound should be very, very easy to make on the virus. I have already programmed a Gary Numan style lead which sound's like the original one!!. This is where the virus really shines. I am getting a new soundcard soon, expect alot of 80's stuff from me, with a modern twist!!. Gary Numan / Jean michel Jarre / Midge Ure / Ultravox = my idols . To me the 80's sound second to none. "Distinct" is the word you are looking for. Today, people take sounds for granted. Back then, everything was "Fresh" and "New" and unique. Don't get me wrong, Music of today is good, some of it Excellent, but this last two months, I have seen myself getting more involved with producing 80's Music, It is more fun to do, and sounds better aswell!.

The virus is all you need, in any case.

Gary
Old 05.07.2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Sweet Dreams intro saw chords are great. Simple but effective.
Old 05.07.2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I created a patch very similar to the one used at the very start of Chariots Of Fire. (Not the sequenced arp bass, but the other sound that sounds similarly like an overdriven fugelhorn but is much smoother and which kicks off the song at the very start). Actually I didn't mean to recreate it, but that sound in CoF is what it sounds like. The soft Virus reverb really helps, too.

It's one of my fav virus patches that I've made to date. Smooth as a baby's bum.
Old 05.07.2005, 01:23 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
To me the 80's sound second to none. "Distinct" is the word you are looking for. Today, people take sounds for granted. Back then, everything was "Fresh" and "New" and unique. Don't get me wrong, Music of today is good, some of it Excellent, but this last two months, I have seen myself getting more involved with producing 80's Music, It is more fun to do, and sounds better aswell!.

I couldnt agree more m8
Old 05.07.2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ahhh Excellent!!!. I'd love to hear it!!!. I really badly want to show you the very basic patch I just made, probably the closest to sweet dreams you could program in 5 minutes flat!!. Could you post your sounds on here?. I might see if I can record you a quick demo using onboard sound!!

cheers!
Just scribbled any old notes down:-

http://www.gobo.dsl.pipex.com/audio/Svelt.mp3

I should've maybe played harder on the lower notes (as opposed to the higher ones), as the louder you hit em the more overdriven tape-like distortion you get. The patch still sounds kinda dry and dead on its own, so I guess external processing should be applied afterwards.

Back to the 80's, the greatest film soundtrack ever (apart from Blade Runner) in my own mind was the theme to Das Boot.

(brief warning: this small excerpt is louder than the previous clip

http://www.gobo.dsl.pipex.com/audio/DasBoot.mp3

I would LOVE to recreate the powerful sound played at 6 secs and again at 19 secs.

PS > If you haven't already, listen to the rest of Das Boot if you can, it's an awesome track in its entirety. Very atmospheric. I have the full clip if you wished.
Old 05.07.2005, 05:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
Indeed. That song really is a classic. I heard a prophet do this very well. It is very easy to Emulate on the virus. At Live 8, I noticed they were using JP-8000's alot, but I did not manage to see what they were using for Sweet Dreams. It sounded as good, but as always it does sound different live.
Accualy most of the 80s groups which performed their clasics originaly used vintage analog synths like the pro5 and pro1,cs80 and such.
Duran duran used the A6 for example for their famouse pulse lead.
Pink floyd too used a kurzvil workstation insted of the original anlog synths,but i belive that was just for key sounds.
Old 05.07.2005, 10:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Garym: Do not worry as long as you don't sell it
Old 06.07.2005, 07:25 AM

Excellent sounds Timo

very nicely done!