Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.03.2007, 11:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Question Noob Questions

.. my recent v-synth purchase has encouraged me to learn a bit more, do a bit of reading, ask a few questions etc.. I've also just gone through the Virus Tutorial and its been great to learn more about this monster synth.

I'm more or less taking it from the ground up just now hence these simple (for most of you) questions. Your feedback is deeply appreciated, and I guess this thread might also help a few others too so feel free anyone to chip in your questions/ answers/ hints & tips.

How do you modulate Filter Cutoff to rise and fall over time, perhaps also in a looped tempo synced fashion?

Is it done via the Mod matrix say using an LFO to modulate Filter Envelope somehow?

Thanks man thanks man
Old 12.03.2007, 03:43 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

use the lfo to modulate the filter cut-off lfo 2 has a dedicated slot for both filters, tempo sync the lfo, use a triangle or sine waveform.

Filter eg, you really have to play with the eg amount on the filter to get this right, however don;'t alway stick to positive methods, you can also set the eg to go negative so with a higher cut-off once it starts to affect it it will drop the cut-off.

If you want a long sweep of cut-off then simply make the rate of the lfo lower, like 4/1 the waveform will simply do one cycle every 4 bars

it's best to look at what destinations you have, the modmatrix is what I use because I'm not stuck with dedicated slots and I find it easier to think of, but when altering something common like the filter there is a slot so I use it. Subtle changes are some times better but I tend to just tweak as I'm playing that way you can hear what is going on.

Good thing about using the mod matrix and a lfo is you can say decrease the cut-off you can increase the res a little giving more squeel,
Old 12.03.2007, 08:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Thumbs up

cheers Kris.. you're very helpful
appreciated
Old 12.03.2007, 06:37 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

a side note to the vocals last week I din't forget and did do it Just haven't recorded in to pc yet off work for a couple of weeks so will sort you out soon
Old 14.03.2007, 11:05 PM
Veteran
Veteran

i've been trying to achieve an effect recently though have not had so much luck. Maybe someone can add their bit?

You know when you apply a significant amount of resonance (+75) say to a simple saw wave, and mess with Filter Cutoff you hear those glassy high end harmonics.. really cool.

I've been trying to single those harmonics out on their own and be totally rid of the lower end frequencies but I can't seem to achieve it.

Should I be working under the presmise that everything is possible?
Old 14.03.2007, 11:49 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Can you not just use a second low pass filter in series to remove the low and mid?

Drammy
Old 15.03.2007, 12:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I dont know for sure as i'm not yet accomplished enough with the filters to be able to tell exactly whats occuring.

The closest i've came to it so far and its still way off is by setting up the following using ROM A - 127 (init)

Routing = Serial 4

Filter1 = Low Pass
Cutoff = wavering between 60 - 90
Resonance = 70

Filter2 = High Pass
Cutroff = 0
Old 15.03.2007, 01:30 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopkris40 View Post
a side note to the vocals last week I din't forget and did do it Just haven't recorded in to pc yet off work for a couple of weeks so will sort you out soon
Hey Bishopkris,

Check your PMs matey.

Cheers!

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 15.03.2007, 02:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74 View Post
Hey Bishopkris,

Check your PMs matey.

Cheers!

-Alex
Have done sent a reply, cheers mate
Old 15.03.2007, 11:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

here is a poll without the function.

what do you reckon..

Is it worthwhile using the effects in sound designing?

Yes as much as you want
No not at all
Sure but don't overdo it