Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.08.2011, 03:19 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Virus TI Aftertouch

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what the aftertouch was like on the Virus TI keyboard. Is there any differences to the aftertouch on the Ti Polar.

My main keyboard at the moment is the Cakewalk A800pro. I like the action, but you require a ridiculous amount of pressure before you get the aftertouch response. Is the Virus similar, or can you use aftertouch without constantly fearing that you will break the keys?

Thanks guys
Your answers will help me determine whether I should get a Keyboard, Polar, or Desktop.

All the best,
Liam
“If there was a conventional way to do it [2001], forget that, and think of something else, go 180 degrees in the opposite direction, think of something new and different in absolutely every category, it made me open up to the idea of what is film” - Douglas Trumbull
Old 13.08.2011, 05:35 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Hi Liam

I have the TI1, not sure if the TI2 uses the same kb but I expect so. I think the aftertouch is very well calibrated and robust. I find it very expressive, mostly, for adding some end-of-note modulation to mono leads, and now it feels like a completely 'natural' expressive element to the instrument. I've been using the Virus constantly for over two years now, and there's no problem yet with any of the keys. Since I play standing up it's possible that I tend to apply even more pressure than if I were sitting, too, and it ain't broken yet!

I've only played a Polar once, briefly, and wasn't really focusing on the aftertouch, so I can't compare the keyboards. I'm sure plenty of the Infekted here will be able to compare, though. And of course you might be checking the feel of the different models out at your local store.
Old 14.08.2011, 01:52 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Hammond, what is your A800 standing on? My A500 tends to bend a little (i have it on an X stand, nothing below it) so that the center octaves need even harder pressure to have the cAT; so probably putting it on a flat, hard surface improves the situation a bit. Stil it has quite little "dynamic" range unless you get used to it...although IMHO it's got one of the best key actions for that price range.
Old 14.08.2011, 03:25 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Roby31 - My A800 rests on a couple of bricks either side. At this stage I don't have the option of putting it on a flat hard surface. Yes mine does bend a little as well. I grimace when this happens. :S

Yes the action on that controller is great. I love it for organs. The best action keyboard I have played is either the Fantom G6 or the Juno Stage.

Suzzy Mackenzie - Thanks for your response. I like the look of the TI keyboard now I just have to find the room for it
“If there was a conventional way to do it [2001], forget that, and think of something else, go 180 degrees in the opposite direction, think of something new and different in absolutely every category, it made me open up to the idea of what is film” - Douglas Trumbull