Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself If you are new to the forum it would be nice for the others to know who you are and what you do. So please post here.

Old 24.06.2011, 06:55 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Hello from the UK....

Hi everybody,

Just thought I would say hi. I have been doing electronic music on and off for years and tried to get back into it last year but due to being a little restricted on space, my current setup is just a pain to work with (having to work on the PC and then get up to move over to the synths is a pain).

So I'm considering downsizing so that I have one synth/controller keyboard and some racks.

I currently have the following:

- Yamaha SY77
- Yamaha AN1x
- Yamaha EX5R
- Roland JP-8080
- Roland SH-32
- Roland D-550 (for which I'm also the author of a free D50 Librarian at www.d50librarian.co.uk - sorry that wasn't a plug honest )

But I'm thinking of putting some of it back in storage and maybe selling off a few bits)

So I'm very close to buying a Virus TI2 Polar for use as a controller keyboard and the obviously superb sound and synthesis so might be here asking a few questions if that ok. Although the hardest question for myself to answer is which do I go for, a black or a white Polar - such a tough decision

Thanks,

Chris
Old 24.06.2011, 07:37 PM
Definately caught something...
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forums!

Go black is you can still fine one, they look far better than the while Polars

-Fordy

Gear: Access Virus KC, Arturia Matrix Brute, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Nord Lead A1, Roland V-Synth GT 2, Behringer DM 12, Korg Krome, Spark LE.

FX:
Behringer 3DFX2000, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lexicon MX400.

My synth videos on Youtube
Old 24.06.2011, 07:51 PM
New here

Thanks Fordy,

Are the Dark Stars beginning to run out in certain regions as there seem to be plenty left in the UK from what I have seen.

But I have noted your suggestion - Black 1, White 0
Old 24.06.2011, 08:17 PM
Definately caught something...
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

Hi Chris

From what I have seen on Google Shopping there aren't many to be had in the UK and they seem almost as expensive as the Full sised TI 2!

-Fordy

Gear: Access Virus KC, Arturia Matrix Brute, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Nord Lead A1, Roland V-Synth GT 2, Behringer DM 12, Korg Krome, Spark LE.

FX:
Behringer 3DFX2000, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lexicon MX400.

My synth videos on Youtube
Old 24.06.2011, 09:45 PM
New here

Hi Fordy,

Well looking at the general prices in the UK of even the standard TI2 Polar they seem almost as expensive as the full size keyboard anyway. Most dealers seem to be around the same price - so I kinda assumed that was the going rate. If I had space I would go for the full keyboard but I really don't so the Polar is the best option.

What do you reckon the going rate for a normal Polar and the Dark Star should be? Even second hand prices for a normal TI2 Polar are still pretty high but I must admit that buying new is a bit more appealing as I prefer to have a warrenty just in case anything goes wrong (certainly I have read a few cases of people being on their second TI after returning a faulty one)

Thanks,

Chris
Old 24.06.2011, 09:51 PM
Pro
Pro

I'd buy new for peace of mind considering as you say there have been a fair few faulty units pop up here on the forums over the years.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 25.06.2011, 06:11 AM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
I'd buy new for peace of mind considering as you say there have been a fair few faulty units pop up here on the forums over the years.
Hi Feedingear,

Oh good I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that then - it just feels a little safer when you are paying that much for one. I mean I could get one of EBay for like half the price (speaking of which there is one on there now!!) but you have no come-back and if it needs repairing it's gonna cost.

For cases where people have had faulty units I wonder how long it has been before they went faulty i.e. in the first year or after years of continued use?
Old 25.06.2011, 07:50 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
the hardest question for myself to answer is which do I go for, a black or a white Polar - such a tough decision
Hi Chris. For appearance of white version in the hands of a master in a maritime setting see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlXc...eature=related

Old 25.06.2011, 02:26 PM
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Hi Chris. For appearance of white version in the hands of a master in a maritime setting see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlXc...eature=related

Yeah that's pretty good isn't it - I guess white is always gonna be good for boating isn't it.

But unfortunately it's acedemic now as I have ordered the "Dark Star" from Digital Village - chose them as I got a good deal and they do include 2 years extra warranty which brings it up to 4 (including Access's 2 year warranty).

And to celebrate I thought I would choose an appropriate "avatar" image

Thanks,

Chris
Old 26.06.2011, 06:04 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

... and all I ask is a tall ship and a [Dark] Star to steer her by...

(John Masefield, adapted, obv)

I am sure you are gonna find it a blast