Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.05.2011, 02:57 AM
New here
New here

Default Do I need an interface?

Hey guys!

First post,don't kill me please! I just got a Virus Rack (b?) from ebay.
(470 US $).

I use a Yamaha MM6 for a MIDI controller keyboard and listen straight out of the virus front headphones jack.

Later I would like to try some sound sets but really I have no clue how to go about loading banks or patches onto the virus.

To add to my ignorance,I admit I am a real moron when it comes to dealing with computer programs. It took me about a month of fiddling with nuendo2 before I managed my audio signal to show up in it. (still don't know what did it but it works now)

My question is: To be able to load some sounds into the virus will I need a midi interface? If so, could someone suggest a decent one to get?
If not,what do I need?

What if I found a few sounds that I like in every bank so when it comes to loading a soundset is there a way to save these few presets from being wiped out?
Sorry for the questions! If someone could give me a rundown of a tipical loading process and what's the setup that would be very kind!
I just like to play live for my own amusment and make an audio recording here and there.
( I have a Motif-Rack and been using it this way in multi mode.)

Thank you for your response!

Barna
Old 02.06.2011, 11:52 AM
New here
New here

Hey guys!
So nobody here can give me any advise?
I would still appreciate it if you chimed in!
If not then screw this place! LOL just kidding!
Thanks!
Barna
Old 02.06.2011, 01:28 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Yes you will need a MIDI interface. Something cheap like the ones built-in in cables (commonly called "MIDI-USB cables", are actually interfaces) if there are drivers provided should do the trick. You'd need also a bank manager or a sys-ex sequencer, the Virus is a popular instrument so there's probably a few free ones designed with an interface for it. If you haven't done it yet, I suggest you go to Access' site and get the pdf manual to give it a good read, IIRC there's a good explanation about bank management and how to switch banks and backing up in order not to lose sounds.
Old 02.06.2011, 05:11 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby31 View Post
You'd need also a bank manager
Hey, they're not *that* expensive
Old 02.06.2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

You may have been bundled the SoundDiver OEM CD with your Virus Rack - if so this should cover your patching and librarian needs including importing, uploading, saving and re-organising patches, as well as sound designing (manipulating parameters etc). If you weren't given it I'd be happy to upload it for you.

As mentioned you will need some sort of MIDI interface to connect your PC to VirusRack to use it. Probably the cheapest USB-to-MIDI interface is the 'Roland UM-One' which has 1x MIDI in/out. But I'd go with at least a 2x MIDI in/out interface, such as the 'Edirol UM-2G' or similar as you may wish to use it with your Motif or another unit at some point. I have the Edirol UM-3EX (same as 2G but has 3x MIDI in/out) and it works a charm.

PS. Edirol is Roland. They're currently transitioning all the former Edirol labels to Roland, so the name Edirol/Roland is interchangable even though the products remain identical.
Old 03.06.2011, 02:29 AM
New here
New here

Thank you very much for the answers!

I do have the OEM manual and reading it but the way I see it that it tells me what certain functions and buttons do but not how to actually go through with something, perhaps it could illustrate with an example.

It's ok though I will get used to using it! ( the Virus )

I also have the SoundDiver CD So once I get one of the interfaces I will try some bank backup before I will attempt to load anything.

Built a multi the other day and tweaked the parts for hours to my liking but when I attempted to store it in the location where I started,it took all the tweaks away. The manual actually says that "only the content of the multi edit buffer is saved not the sound programs in parts. These must be saved individually in multi single mode"
I was afraid that it will overwrite the original sounds in their slots so I just let it go for now.

Thanks again!!
Barna