Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.09.2010, 12:36 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Red face Just got myself a Virus A

Hello everybody.
Good to be here..
I am Patrick from Austria and i recently bought a defective Access Virus A from Ebay.
Paid around 300 $. Nothing was working it was a real mess. First i had to fix the Value Pot because the last User didnt know how to solder and messed up all of the circuits around the Pot. Next thing was that the Power IC got to hot and the Virus turned itself off after about a Minute. I fixed this with some thermal compound and a heatsink. After that i only saw strange characters on the LCD, so i updated firmware and did a hard reset. Finally it is working and only some cosmetics to do.

Are there any good tutorials on making Music with an Access Virus A ? I only used hardware like Korg EMX and x0xb0x so far so i am not really used to PC Sequencers. I got fruity loops and midiquest XL to test it out. My OS is Windows 7 64bit.
My goal is to make psytrance with this little beauty, i know that Virus C would be a better choice but i am low on money.

I will start reading the whole manual when i got some freetime, hope i can learn all the stuff.

Are there any good things with the Access Virus A other than beeing cheap ? Compared to B,C,Ti and so on ?

I would really like to get a Acid Squelch out of the Virus A. is that even possible ? you know what i mean, that typical Psytrance sound sounding like some high pitched aliens singing along to the bassline ?!

Any help would be so highly appreciated.

Thanks for this Forum, hope it will get me towards my goals
Old 01.10.2010, 05:53 PM
Complete Newbie

Oh my god.. the Virus looks so sexy in between my gear xD

Old 02.10.2010, 01:19 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I think you should seriously consider getting yourself some more sound-proofing. That clearly is not enough.

Lol, jk.

Welcome, and congrats on getting the Virus up 'n' running!

Not sure if it's up to TB303 madness, but you have your x0xb0x for that. However you can still get some decent squelch out of it. Treat it as you would a 303 - akin to a one-oscillator sawtooth (or pulse), velocity modulated low-pass or band-pass filter envelope with ADSR (zero attack, short decay and zero sustain) and keyfollow, a good helping of resonance, filter saturation and of course distortion, and that would place you firmly in acid territory.

The Virus A is fully capable of greatness. It has the core stripped-down Virus sound that runs throughout the rest of them, just with fewer specs, bells and whistles.
Old 02.10.2010, 01:44 AM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for the tipps timo.. highly appreciated