Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 06.12.2005, 06:08 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to Garym
Default Garym

Hi there.

Indeed, it has been a long while since I last posted on here last. Infact, I think the last post was back in August time?, or something. One member of the Forum emailed me to see how things were going....

I am sorry to report that I have given up Music Production + Sound programming...........for what looks to be a long while. Well, at least until I can get my creativity / inspiration back, or a miracle happens. It does make me angry to admit that, because I spent months and all hours trying to gain inspiration and creativity and ways to overcome this. I guess it is alot braver than pretending. My dream was to become a Trance Producer as good as the next (hey, everyone is allowed to dream). Because creativity was not flowing, I Moved onto 80's stuff, but again, was really seriously unhappy with the result.

As for the Virus?, hell yes I will still be keeping *all of my gear*, because something inside me is still trying to fight the block, or whatever it is you call it. This time last year, I was riddled over with excitement and idea's for new music with getting my Virus for xmas and all, (I even paid for part of it). It makes me deeply sad to admit that the virus is now sat ontop of the unit collecting dust . I just can't seem to get that spark which I once had before. I really am not sure what it is, a weird setup if you ask me. The ideas are there, I Know what I want to make, but just can't make it?

But like always, I done my research and questions, found heartless answers to the amusement of others, so I guess there really is no need to cover them again. The virus will always give me some form of inspiration, I want to use it, no really... but right now its like I'm tied up. What ever the outcome out of this, the production gear has nothing to do with it (apart from speakers etc), I have a more than capable setup.

I'm not a newbie, I been playing a long, long time, and by now should have everything needed to adapt to proper production. However...

Laugh if you want, but one thing I strongly need is a kick up the ass, and perhaps fine tuned back into line. I need the spark guys....**

Until something special happens, my gear will remain put away permanently. I'm not giving up, but just to save the frustration (which is what I seem to endure the most more than anything).

Kind Regards

Gary M

PS: have a great Christmas.
Old 06.12.2005, 07:36 PM

Hi Gary,

It's good to hear from you. When I feel like I'm burning out, I get away for awhile or shift gears completely. Some of the other directions I've taken include learning Jazz/Blues piano, composing entire songs with one simple synth (see www.soundclick.com/chisel316 for my One Hundred Percent Series), learning subtractive synthesis (sometimes I can program sounds for days without ever writing an actual song), covering tunes, trying to play the piano like a guitar or visa versa (i.e. guitar synth), learning another instrument, and my latest venture - learning Hammond Organ style playing techniques. If you're totally burnt out, take a break completely (which sounds like what you're doing). There's a lot more to life than music. Sometimes getting away for awhile is all you need to re-ignite that spark.

Peace \/
Dan
Old 06.12.2005, 08:06 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I guess it depends what you objectives are...

Sure, I would love nothing more than to give up my day job and make it producer, maybe even get back to DJing again (but been a very long time since Ive done that).

For me, music production is a therapeutic anti-dote to a really stressful job - a way to switch off. If I manage to release a few tracks a year - thats good, but mostly it keeps me sane and its alot of fun

So if my music inspiration goes to hell (as it often does) then there is allways something to explore or get better at.

Dan - funny you should mention jazz piano - there exactly where Im headed as well - Might get a promega3 digital paino to sit along side the Virus TI

Im finding myself messing around with doing heavily jazz influenced trance or trance influenced jazz/soul (dont ask which as I am clueless ) - if nothing else its different and maybe one day Ill find something that really flows.

Anyway - just because you aint feeling like writing, dont put the gear away, try something really different - can be a real surprise where it might lead

Sometimes you just need to find the right sound again - tastes change and what was hugely inspiring once aint allways going to be inspiring. Maybe listening to new genres will help - I find I need change - sometimes things just get too samey - thats why my gear collection is more less good for anything.

Its worth having something like the Reason soft synth workstaion or hardware equiv to fall back on just to try random stuff and find your zone again.

I guess we all been there at some time for some reason or other...
Old 06.12.2005, 10:26 PM

That's horrible news Gary, but it's not the end of the world. Inspiration is a weird thing that seems to come and go.

If you still have a love for music, then one day you'll feel like picking it up again. Try not to put pressure on yourself about it though.

I know what you mean about "thinking about it". It takes alot of energy, and sometimes this is a problem in other areas of life - just ask my wife.

Good luck mate.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 07.12.2005, 04:43 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

dude!!
just plow right through your block.
just get a complete song done and move on.
it doesnt have to be a masterpiece.

you cant sit there and pine about how you cant do it.
just do it...and never look back.

you are blocking yourself for whatever reason..
lazy,no self-confidence,no disciplin,pressure.........

the only way is to blow straight through the block.

its a momentum thing.
once you have momentum be careful to keep it going.
for me each time i stop it gets more difficult to continue...

inspiration is important..but training is too
and it is possible to train without inspiration..
so make a song with no inspiration...just for the sake of the song itself.
dont get caught up thinking that every song you make is going to be that big song.

bottom line make a song,in a good time frame of say maximum of 2 weeks.

other helpful hints...\

clear out your hardrives of old projects and failed attempts

if others live with you try working with headphones for non vital parts of
creation.

drink sobe adrenalin rush (sounds crazy but i couldnt live without that stuff)

limit your production to a few pieces of gear/software

remix someone elses work

get a countdown app and set a time in the future when you should have the track done and let it stay on your desktop..and watch your time diminish.

get pissed
get mad
get crazy
get even 8O

you can do it.
NO MORE WHINING ABOUT INSPIRATION...
christ Marlin Brando would slap you in the face and say "act like a man"!

GET THROUGH IT!
Old 07.12.2005, 09:11 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Gaz. I hear you bud - been there, seen it & bought the t-shirt. The thing about inspiration is that you cannot guess when it will happen - stressing about it is the last thing you need to be doing.

You need to remember what made you first want to produce music in the first place. It is so easily forgotten, never forget your musical roots. Life only gets more complicated as we get older as we make it so!

There has already been some sound advice from the boys already. May I be as bold to offer more...

On a personal level:

Get away from it all - Two weeks in the sun works wonders pal.
A holiday will give you time to think about what you want from life/music.
Learn to switch off and unwind.
Avoid caffeine after 8pm.
Sleep is a powerful weapon for creativity.
Go and join a Gym - a fantastic way to clear nervous energy and focus.
Don't forget your family and friends - they are not there forever.

On a musical level:

Stop.
Ignore the song(s) you are working on now.
Save all files and songs.
Upload new sound bank(s) into your synth(s) - even randomly perhaps.
Start afresh.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking more is better kit wise.
Learn to get the most you can out the kit you have.
Consider going on a pro music course (we do NOT know it all)
Remixing another persons song is an excellent idea - it's a way back in.
Remix your own work in the style of another ? experiment.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

All the best in the future.
Old 07.12.2005, 09:48 PM

all very good suggestions. Keep your chin up gary, all you need is to get yourself back into that "state" where your creativity just flows. The cool thing is that you were in that state before, so you know it is achievable and that you can get back into it again. And trust me, we all go through the same exact feelings you are experiencing right now. Ok, enough of my nlp rant . . .
Old 08.12.2005, 08:52 AM

Yo Gary

I feel your pain bud....and these are good suggestions. I dont know how realistic it would be for you to implement some of them....but I always find that when one puts all their energy and effort into something (like I did when I was in Englnd team for Golf) I burned out eventually. I totally lost all enthusiasm to train so hard....and everyday became a chore and it was no longer fun. I began to hate what I was doing. Also its like sex. If you have too much sex (like 2 or 3 times a day every day) then after a while it just becomes a little tireing - im trying to get my girlfriend to understand this .

Taking a break from writing and production is a good thing. It will help to restore your desire and passion more quickly. Why dont you forget about writing and producing for the time being and get your self into something different. This is exactly the reason why I got into FM synthesis.....its totally engaging my brain in a different way.....My advice would be to try something new....you've got a good head on your shoulders.....keep it busy but dont put pressure on yourself to achieve all the time....learn to take things more easy....enjoy it....and naturally your performance will increase.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.12.2005, 07:31 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

its funny but the biggest improvement i made in my production was moving to dublin and being without any music making gear for 2 months. i only had my iriver and a whole bunch of my favourite songs. listening to them every day, i built up this vast stockpile of ideas i wanted to test out. anyway, the short of it is that sometimes you can learn more from giving things a break, stepping back and taking a look at what you have done.

glad to see you are getting back into the spirit of things, but next time you feel like throwing in the towel, and trust me on this - ignore that fagot voice in your head that tells you to quit because you will never make it.

thats something we all have to overcome and it happens to everyone. the point is to not quit for any reason! as long as you keep learning new things and keep moving forward, you will get to where you want to be, whether it takes a few more months or a few more years. good luck on making some more dancefloor killers man.
Old 10.12.2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Some great advice above. Take heart that just about every muso's had a darn good few "grrrr, stuck in a rut and bored with it " phases, more often than a few times each!! No-one's immune.

When I feel i'm "going through the motions", merely due to routine, I think "am I having fun here?" and if not I get away and do something else for a while, as there's not much point carrying on with music at that time otherwise it ends up sounding like a dirge, lol. Music, especially for us hobbyists, is a fun passtime, and so when it becomes tiring we're asking too much of it (ie, especially if it's become a "routine", rather than creative spontaneity). A break does you the power of good. Your mind will let you know when it's time to get back in the studio again in it's own time.

What Wandering Kid mentioned, sometimes when you're away from your gear you'll suddenly find yourself thinking up some great ideas/concepts. Even closer to home I get my best ideas when I'm lying in the bath, strangely enough! (not just limited to music tech). Or when I'm laying in bed before going to sleep! Or after listening to some good, or new music.

Best wishes mate

Timo