Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 16.02.2013, 12:43 AM
Pro
Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw I Fink Your Freaky (and I like you alot)~!
Old 16.02.2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Would that require yet another mutation? If I add an extra right and left lobe to my brain, would THAT mean instead of EDM it would be IDM producing? Who exactly comes up with these genre` name differentations?
Maybe that would be alien music, or even psychedelic trance?!?

but if you shave just half of your hair, would it be dubstep then?
Old 16.02.2013, 10:52 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Maybe that would be alien music, or even psychedelic trance?!?

but if you shave just half of your hair, would it be dubstep then?
Perhaps, as long as you leave ALL the price tags hanging on all your clothes and your pants hang off your bum! "Dubstep" has like any type of music, some great examples that indeed push the limits in synthesis and sonic enjoyment.
Do not know if you have heard of a German artist named 'EMIKA', whom ALSO worked for years as a sound designer for Native Instruments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlS6Uy4-Re8 I actually liked this enough to buy her CD. This song was originally written by none other than Laurie Anderson. Emika is using Waldorf's Blofeld in provided example and enjoy!

PS--on styles, here's one comment on Emika's style where people are damned hell-bent to classify and categorize every kind of music to where it begins to sound stupendous in then calling something a sub-genre` of yet another sub-genre` as in; "...also isnt trip-hop a downtempo subgenre of electro or electro-dub-triphop?"
When I did visual art and sold my works whilst in college before 9/11 and called back to military again; it was quite funny how people were also hell-bent to try to give a "stylistic medium" name to what I did that was actually nothing more than "Bahaus Abstract Expressionism".
Humans are funny this way. Emika is different and I am glad to see almost one million people have viewed that video since 2010, when I firstly learned about here from Waldorf, actually.
Old 17.02.2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Perhaps, as long as you leave ALL the price tags hanging on all your clothes and your pants hang off your bum! "Dubstep" has like any type of music, some great examples that indeed push the limits in synthesis and sonic enjoyment.
Do not know if you have heard of a German artist named 'EMIKA', whom ALSO worked for years as a sound designer for Native Instruments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlS6Uy4-Re8 I actually liked this enough to buy her CD. This song was originally written by none other than Laurie Anderson. Emika is using Waldorf's Blofeld in provided example and enjoy!

PS--on styles, here's one comment on Emika's style where people are damned hell-bent to classify and categorize every kind of music to where it begins to sound stupendous in then calling something a sub-genre` of yet another sub-genre` as in; "...also isnt trip-hop a downtempo subgenre of electro or electro-dub-triphop?"
When I did visual art and sold my works whilst in college before 9/11 and called back to military again; it was quite funny how people were also hell-bent to try to give a "stylistic medium" name to what I did that was actually nothing more than "Bahaus Abstract Expressionism".
Humans are funny this way. Emika is different and I am glad to see almost one million people have viewed that video since 2010, when I firstly learned about here from Waldorf, actually.
Music is not genre, music is language. But people need names, for convenience. That happens to me a lot as a visual artist to, it's natural - people expect someone to sum up the entire work in two sentences.

Yeah, I've read about Emika on some magazine a couple of month ago and was curious. Will check on her music! The interview was very interesting and she's got a lovely job - no doubts about that eheh. And I do enjoy a lot of dubstep, there's great music out there - I don't even care about the genre, some of those big gritty basses that have come up with this trend are really great and when I first listened I was really impressed with their approach to synthesis... It's all good! I have made some experiments myself on this genre, most specially for breaks and stuff like that.
Old 17.02.2013, 08:07 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Music is not genre, music is language. But people need names, for convenience. That happens to me a lot as a visual artist to, it's natural - people expect someone to sum up the entire work in two sentences.

Yeah, I've read about Emika on some magazine a couple of month ago and was curious. Will check on her music! The interview was very interesting and she's got a lovely job - no doubts about that eheh. And I do enjoy a lot of dubstep, there's great music out there - I don't even care about the genre, some of those big gritty basses that have come up with this trend are really great and when I first listened I was really impressed with their approach to synthesis... It's all good! I have made some experiments myself on this genre, most specially for breaks and stuff like that.
Speaking of great bass sounds; the Virus can certainly go there and using osc 3 as kind of a sub osc with saturation can make one place better monitor's atop the 'wish list'.
Old 19.02.2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, that's for sure. Most of the times, I don't even use the 3rd Osc for Bass patches. I keep it real simple down there.

If they want to appeal to the Dubstep producers (even more) they should really bring more flexibility to the LFO section, allowing user drawn waves, and stuff like that. Same as you find on Massive - which made it a winner for mad modulation of all kinds. Then why stop there, and not allow users to draw waves for OSC section as well, same as you find on Zebra.
Old 19.02.2013, 08:45 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Yeah, that's for sure. Most of the times, I don't even use the 3rd Osc for Bass patches. I keep it real simple down there.

If they want to appeal to the Dubstep producers (even more) they should really bring more flexibility to the LFO section, allowing user drawn waves, and stuff like that. Same as you find on Massive - which made it a winner for mad modulation of all kinds. Then why stop there, and not allow users to draw waves for OSC section as well, same as you find on Zebra.
Not that I am bemoaning the Virus whatsoever, BUT, when working with the DSI MonoevolverKeyboard with it's FOUR freely routable LFO's to even ANY of the wavetable contents, VERY much akin to what waldorf Q can do as well, it simply makes me work harder (in a good way) with Virus's mod matrix, knowing do not have that freedom of more choices.
The Q also allows each of the two wavetables to be utilized AS two sub osc's which can ALSO be modulated by about anything you can think of.

I have a question regarding the Virus "64 Spectral Waves", as have not really dove deep with those as yet; what are some creative and utilitarian uses you have found for them AND inherent limitations of same, please? Also, are those Spectral Waves akin to what korg radias has seemingly same of and korg states they are PCM waves? (sorry about bad syntex) The Virus' spectral waves are obviously not wavetable and wondering if there's a chart I have missed showing each of those waves, rather than having to audition each one? Handful of questions and have been slowly reading through posts on forum years ago and am yet to get an answer of creative/useful ways of utilizing them. Thanks in advance for your experience and knowledge of all things Virii!
Old 19.02.2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran
Veteran

There's been some debate here on that subject. Was able to find this link:

http://www.waf80.de/virus/viruwaves/

it has the graphic representation of the waves. I think they're great for adding a different twist to typical lfo modulation of parameters, giving it some edge - since most synthesizers only have the regular old school analogue waves to choose from. I like to use them for FM sounds as well, with FM mode "wave", some very interesting timbres can be achieved like that.

For example: try using "random" as a source for "waveselect" on a fm patch. make sure the "shape" knob on the selected oscillator is turned all the way left, of course. when you trigger a key, it randomly selects one of those waves to modulate the second oscillator with. or use sample and hold LFO for same destination, for some glitchy madness along with pitch modulation on the second... great fun exploring with that

EDIT

I got that link from this post here:

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=25580

There was ongoing debate about finding names or uses best suited to each of them. My opinion is that they appear to be somewhat random. But there's plenty of them (look in the chart) that share big similarities with more standard waves, like sine. So they could be described like "sine wave drawn by parkinson's hands" or something like that. Thinking like that helps here, I think. You can go for a more unstable sine like vibrato, for example.

Last edited by TweakHead : 20.02.2013 at 01:45 PM.