Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 18.10.2004, 10:36 AM
This forum member lives here

Hi all......

I have remixed the track, and have updated the link in the first post:

LadyPeroxide-Mandy

This is still a "Rough" mix, and probably needs a little more tweaking, I still havent done the 'multiple listening environment' test, and after listening closely, the vocals may be a little loud. I am handing in the project on friday, so would appreciate if anyone can be bothered taking a listen and giving some feedback/criticisms....

This mix was done with my new monitoring setup, which I think helped alot.

Cheers!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 18.10.2004, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Let's see again. There's something really wrong with this mix. Too loud bass maybe? And why the bass sounds like a subbass. It seems to be made with Virus. Doesn't fit there at all. Drums are too back. Mixing drums is the trickiest part. If they are too back the mix sounds itty-bitty and if they are too loud the whole mix sounds like a drum demonstration. I'd suggest some heavy compression on kick and snare and EQ the drum tracks. Also add EQ to the bass and kick to get clearer mix.
Old 19.10.2004, 12:01 AM

Listening now. Hope I have the latest one though Jase (I downloaded it last Thursday).

I won't comment too much on the song itself, because I'm guessing your work was the recording side more than the track itself.

Drums - Not bad. I'd agree with Juho with adding a bit more compression on the kick. The snare could do with a bit more "punch", but it sat quite well for me. I really like the high-end of the drums - no probs at all here.

Guitars - Again pretty good, but not the strength I was hoping for. I read earlier there was a sugestion about doubling. Did you try that? (I could be listening to an old mix though ). They more boost on this mix anyway. Solo needs to be more forward.

Bass - Doesn't seem to bad actually. Maybe a little back for me though. A little more Distortion may do the trick.

Vocals - The vocals sound nice. I'd like the chorus brought up front a bit though. Also the agressive lines could do with a boost too "your fuckin everything" should be "YOUR FUCKIN EVERYTHING"...Maybe by adding some width on these aggressive parts you would achieve this.

Sounds pretty good though Jase. All recorded at your place?

By the way....If I am listening to an old mix please ignore this whole post! Hehehe
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 19.10.2004, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Bass - Doesn't seem to bad actually. Maybe a little back for me though. A little more Distortion may do the trick.
Ewww! It's already eating everything!

Quote:
Vocals - The vocals sound nice. I'd like the chorus brought up front a bit though. Also the agressive lines could do with a boost too "your fuckin everything" should be "YOUR FUCKIN EVERYTHING"...Maybe by adding some width on these aggressive parts you would achieve this.
I say that distortion is the key here. Little bit distortion here and littlebit distortion there. Layer distortions to keep it clear. This is just too kind mix to work. We need distortion!
Old 19.10.2004, 12:21 AM
Veteran
Veteran

To me the main vocals seem way too loud and upfront...they should be upfront but they drowned everything else out...

peace
Blank
Old 19.10.2004, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
I say that distortion is the key here. Little bit distortion here and littlebit distortion there. Layer distortions to keep it clear. This is just too kind mix to work. We need distortion!
Just remembered one tip. Juho's foolish tips part 2:

Duplicate the vocal tracks. Then add really heavy compression on the duplicate. Really squash it like there would be no tomorrow. Then just add slight compression on the original track. Then you can get a good loud vocal track wihtout totally killing the dynamics by mixing the squashed vocals on the background.
Old 19.10.2004, 04:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!

*Too much bass - I agree.....I ran the mix through a Multi-band compressor and was a little "trigger happy" on the bottom end. This could account for the "Virus-Sub" too.....

*Vocals too loud - yep......I agree too! They need to sit on top, without being too over-bearing. I will try Juho's compression trick.

*Vocals too wimpy - Yup....I think his voice is a little "thin", and the mic we used to record didnt compliment his voice. I will try some EQ or tape/tube distortion??

*Drums too weak - Hmmm....they do get lost a little. I will try some EQ/Compression to pull them up a bit.

*Bass Distortion - There is some there...added with my Bass POD, but in the parts where there is only a bass lick and no other instruments, I have taken out the distorted bass part......it gets a little lost with the distortion of the guitars, so you cant really hear it, though it does fill in the low-end distortion where the guitars dont quite reach. I will bring it up a little more.

HollowCell - Recorded at school on a Digi-001 with Behringer ADA8000 preamps, no outboard/plug-ins during recording, and recorded using an old PC and NS10's......oh yeah, and crappy headphones too! You can hear the click track at the end of the song GODDAMMIT~~~

Thanks again everyone! Appreciate the honesty......

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 19.10.2004, 04:51 AM

Quote:
By the way....If I am listening to an old mix please ignore this whole post! Hehehe
I think you are listening to an old mix....

Quote:
(I downloaded it last Thursday)
Yep...definately an old mix. This new one is VERY different to the old one.....

Old 19.10.2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
*Too much bass - I agree.....I ran the mix through a Multi-band compressor and was a little "trigger happy" on the bottom end. This could account for the "Virus-Sub" too.....
Take easy with the MBC or the mix sounds like crap. I usually don't even touch the band specific gain section of the MBC unless I really, really, really have to. Maybe some really minor settings but not heavy differences. If the mix lacks bass I don't start to add bass gain on the MBC like a madman. Instead I'll bring up the bass and kick on the mix and make a new mixdown. The general rule is that the less you'll have to EQ the mixdown the better. We Finns have a saying: "Can't make a chocolade candy out of shit", which means there is no kind of mastering tool that could save a bad mix. So first get your mix right and take it easy with the mastering process.

Quote:
*Vocals too wimpy - Yup....I think his voice is a little "thin", and the mic we used to record didnt compliment his voice. I will try some EQ or tape/tube distortion??
Analog tape recording is great in this aspect. For example listening to some vintage Hendrix tapes the screams that go distorted sound just brilliant. Can't do that nowadays... *sigh* But you should really try that distortion layering for other channels also than only to bass track. It's a very good trick and can do wonders to your mix. With that layering you'll get the crunch but also maintain the clarity.

Quote:
*Bass Distortion - There is some there...added with my Bass POD, but in the parts where there is only a bass lick and no other instruments, I have taken out the distorted bass part......it gets a little lost with the distortion of the guitars, so you cant really hear it, though it does fill in the low-end distortion where the guitars dont quite reach. I will bring it up a little more.
You'll definetly need to add some distortion on the bass. Now it really sounds like a subbass. You could also try to add some middle with EQ to get some punch on that sound.
Old 20.10.2004, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Yep...definately an old mix. This new one is VERY different to the old one.....
OK, I'll be on the cable again tomorrow to DL the newest one.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut