Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 12.04.2006, 09:42 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj
I don't think virus can do 909 or 808 kick either. Maybe with alot of sampling, layering and processing.
Well, it should be able to do some even stompier rezo kicks. You know, like psytrance etc.
Old 30.04.2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnj
I don't think virus can do 909 or 808 kick either. Maybe with alot of sampling, layering and processing.
I don't think the 808 or 909 can do 808 or 909 kicks either. The 'sound' that we 'hear' is a combination of sound source, pre-amp circuitry, eq, effects processing, post production mastering and clever positioning within a mix. It could be argued therefore, that there is no such thing as an 808 or 909 sound that any of us can point to as definitive.

Witness the countless variations of 909 and 808 kicks that crop up on sample CDs. Which one of those is the most accurate, definitive sound? Or maybe the better question should be, which one do you like? Which one sounds better in your mix?

You can always plug a pair of flat, studio reference headphones into the output of the drum machines in question but, you know what, I bet you'll be surprised at how lame they 'actually' sound! Most people are really disappointed when they hear the 'real' thing.

mr o
Old 30.04.2006, 08:41 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

whats stoping you from geting a raw sound on the virus and going thru the process to creat your own?
dont be afrid to expiriment!
Old 02.05.2006, 01:13 AM
Pro
Pro

To be honest, I don't know what the hell you're talking about mr Orange. Real 808 and 909 sound fucking massive!!! straight outta the box, into yer monitors if ya like. Don't need no eq. I've plugged a 808, 909 and 303 into an analog desk and straight out into a PA with no eq used on the desk and the sound blew everyone's fuckin minds. We'd been playin on that PA for 2 years and have never heard bass as heavy and tight as what came straight outta those drum boxes. Its amazing how things sound when they don't have to be recorded, eq'd, then reproduced again. Plug that shit in live yo!
Old 08.08.2006, 11:24 PM
New here
New here

Has anyone had experience with the JOMOX Mbase01? Its just an analog box that only produces bass. www.jomox.com.

This seemed instresting to me since it would be nice to craft out real analog kicks without spending alot of money. I found it new for $300.
Old 09.08.2006, 01:37 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

this is a quote from future producers, I haven't tried it yet but as long as you have a c or ti you should be ok.

Originally Posted by dvyce
Actually, an 808 kick is made from an osc type called a "bridged T network". It's trail dies off on it's own (unlike a traditional osc) after a period of time determined by the amount of positive feedback applied to it. Plus (and this is important) it's pitch goes flat at the end of its trail off.

Then there is also a click in the attack portion to give it the "beater" sound (the click comes from a CV pulse.)

So, that being said... what many people refer to as an "808 kick" sound is really just talking about some variation on the "bass drop" idea.

It is not based on any oscillators at all and no pitch bend at all (as I see people on FP, and in general, tend to incorrectly claim is the way it is created).

I gave a detailed explanation on how this is created in a past thread... here is a link to it (unfortunately, the audio and visual links I had provided at that time are no longer on my server, but all the descriptive text is still there.)

http://www.futureproducers.com/forum...8&pagenumber=2

read my posts in that thread.

You can also add a short click in the attack of the sound with a little white noise burst (or some other little clicky sound) with a really fast attack and decay and some high rolloff for that added 808 umph.
Old 09.08.2006, 04:52 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

808 kicks are easy on subtractive synths. Think of what an 808 bassdrum is...it's just a resonant filter. The parameters are decay, which controls the decay of the filter envelope, and tone, which controls the cutoff.

So, here is a quick and dirty formula for an 808 kick:

Oscillators down to 0% volume
crank up a 24db lowpass filter to 100% resonance (12db filter works OK too)
turn down the cutoff, or 'tone', to something nice and boomy
for the filter envelope: 0 attack, moderate decay, 0 sustain, 0 release

Now assign a mod wheel to the tone or decay, and tweak to your heart's content. Also, doesnt the virus have compression? That could help too.

I've gotten good results on my Waldorfs. Your milage may vary.
Old 09.08.2006, 12:55 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

The best 909 i've heard done on the Ti was programmed by Khazul
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic