Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 22.08.2009, 06:56 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default can i tune my virus snow to 432?

if so how do i do it??

thanks in advance
Old 22.08.2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
if so how do i do it??

thanks in advance
Tune A4 of the whole synth = 432Hz instead of 440Hz?

I've just used a tuner and found you'd need to set the MasterTune at -41 from the System menu in order to hit 432Hz on A4. As it's a system setting, this will affect all patches - everything on the synth. Or did you want just one patch affected?

This is on an Indigo though. The Snow may be different.
Old 22.08.2009, 09:09 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

it was the whole synth i wanted to do ive been reading some outlandish shit on 432 tuning (the whole universe and everything is harmonicely set to 432) but thats another story.thanks for your time and your advice mate

trev
Old 20.07.2012, 03:06 AM
New here
New here

hello,

I want to try tuning my ti2 A4=432hz

I just want to verify if Timo's tip.. (-41 on master tuning) indeed has worked for anyone?

not doubting the advice. i just don't have a tuner and know little about such stuff.
Old 20.07.2012, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Just checked again with several software tuners and MasterTune needs to be -42 (not -41) for A4 to hit 432Hz exactly on my Virus.

Might've tested it in TemperedTuning mode last time, which allows a bit of analog drift +/- several percent to affect the oscillators. This time I selected PureTuning when testing in order to get a repeatably accurate digital reading.
Old 21.07.2012, 12:48 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, once in a while someone brings that one up! While it may be true that this tunning is more in accordance with the rest of the universe, I believe it's only trully important when working with some kind of tonal music... Makes no sense when using some modulation technics, like vibratto, if the pitch is changing all the time, how would that make any diference? And you can always pitch the all mix down and see if it turns out to be more "cosmic" or whatever, which in most cases it doesn't... I believe it makes a diference for tonal music, melodies, etc, don't get me wrong here though. And I also think it's an interesting subject and all. But it all depends on the kind of music you're making...

Peace! Cheers
Old 21.07.2012, 01:03 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Question I get 32 cents down

Considering the definition of the Equal Tempered where a semitone is calculated by dividing the octave relation (2:1) on 12 semitones on a equal scale.

Therefore, a semitone, based around the 440 kHz, is calculated by:

st=440*2^(1/12)

And then, you need to solve the equation, for x:

432=440*2^(x/12)
x=-0.317666594733664

Which is the cents below the reference 440 kHz, so you should set the fine tunning to -32
Old 21.07.2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I believe Timo has done it looking at the tuner, making the A hit 432Hz, presumably with a sine wave. The way the scale is distributed from that should be "equal tempered", so it all should go right... I'm also puzzled now, will try tomorrow to (to tired right now...)
Cheers
Old 21.07.2012, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarPabl View Post
Considering the definition of the Equal Tempered where a semitone is calculated by dividing the octave relation (2:1) on 12 semitones on a equal scale.

Therefore, a semitone, based around the 440 kHz, is calculated by:

st=440*2^(1/12)

And then, you need to solve the equation, for x:

432=440*2^(x/12)
x=-0.317666594733664

Which is the cents below the reference 440 kHz, so you should set the fine tunning to -32
I don't think it's as easy as that. Even the tempered scale is logarithmic rather than linear, otherwise octaves would simply be the same value summed accumulatively rather than doubling each time.

The way I did it was as Tweakhead mentioned. i.e. selected a reset template patch, used sine-wave waveform on Osc1, made sure OscBalance pointed to Osc1 only, selected PureTuning from the CTRL menu, loaded up several software tuners, set them to use 432Hz as their reference frequency points (instead of 440Hz), then pressed note A4 on the Virus and used the MasterTune to alter the tuning until I hit 432Hz. If A4 is tuned to 432Hz, nothing else matters as the rest of the notes settle either side of it relatively.

Other people are welcome to try their own methods to double check and make sure.