Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 08.02.2024, 11:43 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Virus Discontinued

A 15 year manufacturing run for a synth is pretty much unheard of!

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/02/rip...continued.html
Old 08.02.2024, 10:20 PM

Oh and and don't get all bummed and go selling yours It's after they stop making synths that they truly become legends. Synths often get better with age (and go up in value correspondingly).
Old 18.02.2024, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Hey MBTC

Seems vague, most of the gumpf contains no new information other than what was already known and posted several years ago: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showpo...72&postcount=2

.. in fact, that brief interview with Christoph is most likely the source information of much of the 'article' rather than any additional, independent journalism.

However, one wonders if it's just the Ti|2 that's discontinued or the Virus as a whole.

If the former, ceasing production could indicate a new version is imminent and the company are running existing stocks down, which would be pretty cool, bring it on... But if the latter - i.e the Virus being totally discontinued - that would indeed be a great shame.

Hardware synths still appear to be a mainstay, with consistent releases from the usual likes of Korg, Waldorf, Sequential, et al and independents. There's still room for a highly evolved Virus with a great LCD.

~Timo
Old 20.02.2024, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Hey MBTC

Seems vague, most of the gumpf contains no new information other than what was already known and posted several years ago: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showpo...72&postcount=2

.. in fact, that brief interview with Christoph is most likely the source information of much of the 'article' rather than any additional, independent journalism.

However, one wonders if it's just the Ti|2 that's discontinued or the Virus as a whole.

If the former, ceasing production could indicate a new version is imminent and the company are running existing stocks down, which would be pretty cool, bring it on... But if the latter - i.e the Virus being totally discontinued - that would indeed be a great shame.

Hardware synths still appear to be a mainstay, with consistent releases from the usual likes of Korg, Waldorf, Sequential, et al and independents. There's still room for a highly evolved Virus with a great LCD.

~Timo
I plan to keep my Ti2 desktop.. It would be great if a new Virus were the reason for discontinuing current models, but from what I've read, this doesn't seem to be the case. I think the market right now is probably tough going for "premium" VA synths... there are a lot of lower cost options with attractive feature sets (Hydrasynth, even maybe Arturia Minifreak come to mind). Waldorf also recently discontinued the Kyra (very similar to the Virus in many ways), which makes me think this particular genre of synths may not be selling well right now, giving way to other products in their line.

If anyone is looking for a true stunner of a VA synth and can swing the price, I picked up a Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave module recently and I can say I'm blown away. It is marketed as somewhat of a PPG Wave clone on steroids, and it is that but there are lesser-advertised VA waveforms (including supersaw) which simply sound fantastic run through the analog filters (same filters in the Prophet 5... so gorgeous sounding). There's something about it that seems to never be harsh on the ears.. 24 voices and 4 part multi-timbral with 2 effects available on each part. That may sound like lower polyphony compared to the Virus, but voices are not reduced with patch complexity so it has all the voices needed. As a wavetable synth there's nothing like it. You can make your own wavetables (either modern hi-res ones or crunchy PPG style ones).. You can plug any source into the audio in, sample the audio and hit a button and and there's the wave table, then you have tons of envelopes and modulation for moving through them.

It's a pricey synth, but I was able to score the desktop for around $3k out the door.. totally worth it, I will never let this synth go!

Highly recommend checking out some of the YT vids out there if anyone is looking for a viable (albeit not cheap) alternative to the Virus. Vids worth seeking out are MilesAway, Scott McAuley's sound sets, etc.