Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 09.03.2014, 11:44 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Struggling with my current setup..

Hi all, hope someone can help me out. Really not sure if i must continue with my current setup, or sell some synths/modules to get a better/other workflow. My setup is as follows;

- iMac
- Virus TI (Snow)
- Maschine Studio / w Maschine 2.0
- Microbrute

One synth i definitely will keep is my Virus TI, love that integrated workflow and synth (Using the TI as Soundcard). I also like the workflow of Maschine 2.0, and using it more and more as some sort of DAW lately. (Havent booted up Logic since), hoped that the Maschine Studio speeded up my workflow but ended up using the plugin/computer screen more... Only thing which confused me, is that the Maschine 2.0 doesnt bounce in realtime... so i cant export my Virus TI (any advice how to get this working?)
The Microbrute is another problem, with this setup i cannot seem to get it right... i got the midi working, and am able to draw notes in Maschine, which triggers the Microbrute.. but i sounds a little "off", not perfectly tight.

I started looking at forums/youtube etc, and some synths/modules really got my attention, the Electron Maschinedrum, Electron Octatrack, Electron A4, and in particular the Teenage Engeneering OP-1.

Havent got the money for all unfortunately. And dont know which of these will integrate well in my setup. (With in mind keeping the Virus and Maschine 2.0 software, and selling the Studio and Brute)

So my question is, who can give some advice about my setup, and what would you buy / sell, and integrate in this setup?

Last edited by AXN : 09.03.2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09.03.2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Hi all, hope someone can help me out. Really not sure if i must continue with my current setup, or sell some synths/modules to get a better/other workflow. My setup is as follows;

- iMac
- Virus TI (Snow)
- Maschine Studio / w Maschine 2.0
- Microbrute

One synth i definitely will keep is my Virus TI, love that integrated workflow and synth (Using the TI as Soundcard). I also like the workflow of Maschine 2.0, and using it more and more as some sort of DAW lately. (Havent booted up Logic since), hoped that the Maschine Studio speeded up my workflow but ended up using the plugin/computer screen more... Only thing which confused me, is that the Maschine 2.0 doesnt bounce in realtime... so i cant export my Virus TI (any advice how to get this working?)
The Microbrute is another problem, with this setup i cannot seem to get it right... i got the midi working, and am able to draw notes in Maschine, which triggers the Microbrute.. but i sounds a little "off", not perfectly tight.

I started looking at forums/youtube etc, and some synths/modules really got my attention, the Electron Maschinedrum, Electron Octatrack, Electron A4, and in particular the Teenage Engeneering OP-1.

Havent got the money for all unfortunately. And dont know which of these will integrate well in my setup. (With in mind keeping the Virus and Maschine 2.0 software, and selling the Studio and Brute)

So my question is, who can give some advice about my setup, and what would you buy / sell, and integrate in this setup?
Hi there,

There is no way to bounce in real time Maschine projects as you say but a work around would be to open up the Maschine project in a DAW like Logic, pro tools etc. as a plug-in & bounce the audio out that way.
The Maschine software will work without the hardware but I don't think I would want too. I would miss the pads & real time knob tweaking plus the integration with all my other NI stuff, it really is a package deal.
As for the brute what you are experiencing is latency which can be fixed in the general tab of the Maschine prefs. from the manual...

Depending on variables such as the speed of your CPU, your audio inter- face, your MIDI interface and the value you selected in the Audio and MIDI Settings panel (see Audio and MIDI Settings),you may ex-perience a lack of synchronization between MASCHINE and the external MIDI Master. To compensate, you can adjust this Sync Offset Slave value in milliseconds. An easy way to do that is to play a 4/4 kick drum pattern or a metronome sound on both MASCHINE and the external MIDI Master and mix them together moving the slider until they are played at exactly the same time. As soon as you can hear a flanger-like effect, you know you are close to the correct Sync Offset Slave value. Keep on adjusting theSync Offset Slavecontrol until you can neither hear the flanging effect nor two separate signals.
Old 09.03.2014, 08:51 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Thanks for your reply, will try that out. About the Maschine.. i used to have an Micro MK2, which i sold when i bought the Studio. But really don't use the big screens etc a lot. I guess a regular Maschine would fit good also, hopefully the MK1 is good enough, that way i could save up for an OP1 and integrating in my setup together with the virus etc.
Old 10.03.2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Thanks for your reply, will try that out. About the Maschine.. i used to have an Micro MK2, which i sold when i bought the Studio. But really don't use the big screens etc a lot. I guess a regular Maschine would fit good also, hopefully the MK1 is good enough, that way i could save up for an OP1 and integrating in my setup together with the virus etc.
I have the original mk1 & works for me but now I'm a lot more into it I really thought about getting the studio but since the new software works with the mk1 I'm happy enough & good to see NI not abandoning the old models. I think you have a pretty good set up there just needs a bit of fine tuning.
At the end of the day it's not how much gear you have it's what you do with it. Nowadays you can make some great music with a very minimal set up...it's all about hearts & minds not gear