Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.05.2013, 07:43 PM
This forum member lives here

Another tidbit, I keep forgetting that Cubase7 was a major product overhaul of Cubase (not being a user of prior versions).

Given how recent some of these posts are, I have to assume they have not yet worked out the official Automap fixes for Cubase 7. Seems some people are successfully using it with C7, but it still seems like a relatively unexplored frontier.

http://archive-forum.novationmusic.c...?f=40&t=194865

I guess as long as everything is a known work in progress and they are indeed working toward fixes, I can certainly live with things the way they are.

To be honest, I may end up preferring Cubase Quick Controls to Automap, because it's much easier to set up assuming you don't mind being limited to 8 controls, and that's more than I would ever need during playback/realtime automation control. I don't care as much about using knobs for non-playback sound sculpting, because I use a wireless mouse that doesn't get in the way at all, and generally offers better control for my purposes. The other nice thing about Cubase QC is you have the list of what's what right there on your left pane the whole time, with Automap I need to click the view button. Yeah I know, why not just map every plug-in consistently? Sounds good but practically impossible, i.e. some plugins have cutoff for F1,F2 etc while others have a single cutoff, etc.

I may end up preferring to avoid Automap in the long term. Would love to be able to switch between faders controlling mixer versus instrument with one button on the MKII, but its no biggie if I can't.
Old 09.05.2013, 05:16 AM
New here
New here

What do you people think of Alesis QX keyboards?
http://www.alesis.com/qx61
Old 09.05.2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llest View Post
What do you people think of Alesis QX keyboards?
http://www.alesis.com/qx61
I eyeballed them briefly during my search - probably okay for the money, but no aftertouch, non-weighted keys and I really wanted a stick for pitch & mod.
Old 09.05.2013, 11:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post

Let me ask you this, when you're in Automap mode on the MKII, does your plugin indicate you're receiving MIDI data?
Yes, it does. Didn't thought of that myself, that's a good indicator that things are working well.

Another thing that could have gone wrong is that you need to install an "automap" version of each plug-in you want to use it with. Nowadays, that's done within the Automap application itself. Then the DAW detects them just like it would for any given plug-in, and I'm given the choice between, say, "Massive" and "Massive automap" - the former having full automap functionality.

And what about Cubase 7? Haven't tried it myself but I've used Cubase here and there. It's still the DAW of choice for a lot of producers, and sometimes I need to use it for tracks with other people - but never got to update it to the last versions, mine is v5.

Think it's very similar to Logic in depth and functions and maybe the best audio editing around - very fast and easy.
Old 10.05.2013, 01:37 AM

I was familiar with the Automap plugin wrapping thing from my old Remote SL 49, so yes I was loading the Automap wrapped versions.

I'm not sure if you were asking what's new in Cubase 7 or not? Apparently Novation is still working out some issues with Automap compatibility. I'm traveling for a couple of days and plan to play with it when I return.

Hard for me to comment on what's new, since I hadn't used Cubase since decades back in the Atari ST days (its changed a lot). I know they completely re-did the mixer, added things to accommodate customer requests, etc. Supposedly a major difference from 6.5 and before.
Old 10.05.2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, was also asking about Cubase 7. Bet it's got some new killer functions. Never got to test it myself - it would be crazy to go the extra mile and update that as well XD.

But it's one that's close to my heart. For one, Quadrafuzz is something special, I know it's old, but it gives a special timbre to the simple psychedelic bass (KBBB) sound. Makes it instantly solid and it sounds good. Even the good old VB-1 was used to oblivion for that, and that combo produces a classic sound you see on many many tracks.

Same thing could be said about Logic's ES1 and ES2, or even the ESM - which doesn't recycle the notes - resampled and used on a sampler instrument. That one also has some tasty bass tones you find nowhere else.

This can sound crazy, but for some uses it's the best sound you can get. It's like when people say the Nord Lead 1 sounds better then the later versions. It probably sounds worse, since it's got better converters now, but the old gives it some kind of digital grit that people have grown used to and lush after. And it's the same with this bundled plug-ins, specially Quadrafuzz. If we compare it to FabFilter's Saturn, for example, it's a ridiculously simple plug-in with much older algorithms - but it's just the right type of saturation for some sounds. I know that because I've processed it with it, and made sampler instruments with that one on the chain for that particular sound XD. Also love the sound of the good old Tonic filter, with its own overdrive sound that's also used to oblivion but sounds very good imo. And this and that...
Old 11.05.2013, 02:43 AM
Pro
Pro

Tweak, just copy the .dlls over. I copied over a bunch of Cubase plugs that got dumped from SX3 to 5 (quite possibly quadrafuzz).

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 21.05.2013, 10:11 PM
Pro
Pro

Just wanted to state although I presently use all hardware synths, have been learning little by little as suggested here on my DAW of choice Reaper and am thrilled that my Novation SL 61 MK2 is a pretty nice controller, minus the crappy response of x/y pad for my taste at least.
Also, although I may not use Automap and create my own templates for my needs, Automap 4.7 totally supports Reaper **AND** in the Automap Mappings Library, there's actually a 100% mapping for my hardware Waldorf Q rack monster synth...happy happy, joy joy ("Ren and Stimpy reference)

The audio interface I had purchased well over a year or more ago, Avid Fast Track C600 has worked but when M-Audio and Avid recently went separate ways in a mass sell-off of "prosumer products", their driver is not being updated and support for it seems to be a joke so am pretty well sold on the new Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio Interface.

With that said, I know there's some Focusrite interface users here and wondering if anyone has some experience with this particular interface that will also allow me to use the Alesis Fusion Synth's ADAT output because this sleeper of a synth actually has 8 one quarter inch inputs to a built-in mixer as well as an 80 GB SSD that could be used in future, making this 18i20 last me a long time (theoretically). Some people I have been conversing with on homerecording.com have this new interface and is rock solid on similar PC set-up and hardware synth-based.
Old 21.05.2013, 10:56 PM

I have the Saffire Pro 24 which I guess is similar to the Scarlett 18i20 except FireWire instead of USB and less mic preamps (and lower cost, I think the Saffire Pro 40 would be more of a Firewire equivalent in cost and features).

Overall I have nothing but good things to say about it, only thing I would do differently if buying right now is opt for the DSP version because its not much more in cost. As you know I don't have a lot of hardware to connect so the Pro 24 might not be an option for you.

I ended up with both the audio interface and monitors I have (M-Audio BX-8 ) mostly after seeing a friend's good experience with same setup. He creates some insanely clean mixes, doing some tricky stuff with vocals and acoustic instruments too, so I figured I couldn't go too wrong, plus the setup was relatively cost effective compared to other options.
Old 21.05.2013, 11:25 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I have the Saffire Pro 24 which I guess is similar to the Scarlett 18i20 except FireWire instead of USB and less mic preamps (and lower cost, I think the Saffire Pro 40 would be more of a Firewire equivalent in cost and features).

Overall I have nothing but good things to say about it, only thing I would do differently if buying right now is opt for the DSP version because its not much more in cost. As you know I don't have a lot of hardware to connect so the Pro 24 might not be an option for you.

I ended up with both the audio interface and monitors I have (M-Audio BX-8 ) mostly after seeing a friend's good experience with same setup. He creates some insanely clean mixes, doing some tricky stuff with vocals and acoustic instruments too, so I figured I couldn't go too wrong, plus the setup was relatively cost effective compared to other options.
You are correct as Novation/Focusrite state the new Scarlett 18i20 **is** the USB equiv. of the Pro 24 and excellent preamps and DAC. USA pricing is $499. but I can get it for about $50. less from zzsounds but kind of rather wait until it's in-stock at Sweetwater because although they are in my neighboring State, they are only an hour North of where my parents and brother's family lives and they have an excellent return/customer service/extended warranty. I also would not have to pay sales tax if I ordered from them online/phone and free ship UPS. FYI--our politicians are attempting to make it a requirement for ALL online sales to be taxed by each respective State's rate...meanwhile huge companies such as Apple and G.E. get out of BILLIONS in Fed taxes--legally! Sorry, another rant for another place!
Matter-in-fact a person whom I have been writing back and forth had the Pro 24 until a fateful day playing out without a power conditioner and the club's house electrics fried both his laptop and his Pro 24. Needless to say he recommended to me what I already have been doing in using Furman power conditioners as pretty inexpensive insurance since Furman will replace fried gear you have registered with warranty...meaning they would not have such a generous warranty if they were not shy of bullet proof .

Thanks for your input as I thought you had posted your use of Focusrite and your contentment with them!!