Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 03.05.2013, 03:45 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Recommend a USB MIDI controller for me?

I've discovered that my Novation 49-key Remote SL Compact, which is about 4-5 years old, has developed a problem in one of the keys (specifically the G#/Ab key that's about at midpoint).

The velocity is too eager to go to 127 on that key, if that makes sense. You can make it hit lower velocities, but for example if you hit three keys to the left then the key in question and three keys to the right with enough force to target about half of max, in effect the velocity registered might look like:

62-61-59-127-58-60-65

I may explore repairing this particular controller, and any other suggestions to salvage it are appreciated, but since I was eyeballing 61-key controllers anyway, I thought I would put in a request for suggestions.

What are you guys using for a controllers and what would you buy right now if you wanted a new 61 key and why? 49-key solutions considered but 61 preferred.

My primary wish list can be summed up as overall QUALITY! Willing to pay more for it if necessary. I want it to last. Who makes the "best" these days?
Pots for knobs a plus.
Old 03.05.2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

The new launchkey from Novation looks pretty tasty...

http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/launchkey
Old 03.05.2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I'm sure you can easily fix it. Sounds like it's got some dirt on it. Take it to some repair service that can handle keyboards, maybe just some cleaning will do it.

The new Impulse seems good to me. It's got the same keyboard and two wheels instead of the joystick. Doesn't have the useless X/Y pad on it, and the knobs and faders seem better. They say the pads are useful now (for more then triggering clips on live or on/off dutties lol). Don't really know about others.

Old 03.05.2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Just thought about it: doesn't the UltraNova work as a midi controller as well?
Old 03.05.2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
The new launchkey from Novation looks pretty tasty...

http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/launchkey
These are on my watch-list for now. The Remote SL MKII is currently getting my attention the most because of the mod/pitch stick, and it has both pots and endless encoders for knobs.
Old 03.05.2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Just thought about it: doesn't the UltraNova work as a midi controller as well?
Definitely, it can work Automap just like the other Novation controllers if you want, but it's still only a 37-key keyboard. It could get me by for a few days if I decide to take the Remote SL Compact 49 apart, but would seriously cramp my style over the long term. I really want a 61-key, that's one reason I'm looking to just pick up a new one and maybe repair the 49 and either use it, or maybe sell it or give it to friend/family if I can get it working as new again.

I tried blowing some compressed air under the keys to see if I could dislodge anything, but no good, I'll probably need to get out the screwdriver.

The Impluse line of Novation boards is on my watch list as are the others, although supposedly they are one notch down in quality from the Remote SL MKII, and I saw an online comparison that said the Impulse has a heavier feel to the keys. The pots and the stick on the MKII are pulling me in that direction right now.
Old 07.05.2013, 01:18 AM

I ended up getting a Remote SL MKII. Really love the feel of the keys and especially the stick!

I think the board itself is a keeper but Automap is a filthy bitch and I mean that not in a good way. I'm not yet sure why it doesn't seem to want to behave. I used Automap for a while with my prior keyboard and don't remember having any problems with it.
Old 07.05.2013, 05:10 PM

Slight update, I no longer wish death upon Automap, because I think I've figured out my workflow now in Cubase, and therefore Automap will be irrelevant to me in the long run (which is where it landed with my prior controller and DAW). Even still, I think the fiddly nature of it was really not the software's fault anyway, as much as a lack of familiarity with the controller.

The Quick Controls feature of Cubase will be my best friend going forward it looks like.
Old 07.05.2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Automap works fine for me. I just edit the templates myself and make them standard for the machines I want to use it with. I tend to edit the number of points for the knobs and encoders, so as to get a more natural feel - to much points and you can't turn the filter like you would on the virus, for example. So I always tune that to taste. After I save those settings, everything works fine. I don't really use the mixer template in logic that much, sometimes I use the transport buttons and recording and all of that. Enabling the click from the keyboard and that sort of thing! But I think Automap works fine once you lose some time with it to really dig the options there - it's just not as instant as they say it is to get best results. But I prefer that to using the midi learn on the daw or the machines themselves, honestly. It's much more streamlined and it gives some important feedback on its screen and on the screen if you choose to with the pop ups - useful for live act.

And I think it's got a lot better with the years to. But I'd really like to have some superior grade knobs, I don't like the encoders as much, I don't really care much for the lead lights showing where it's turned at - I just get a better feeling with the pots I guess. Wish they'd start making controllers more synthesizer based and less generic usage. And with better quality. Automap seems to be evolving just fine, I'd like to see ribbon and great knobs, faders would be ok in a JP8080/SH101 design I guess - not the cheap plastic ones though eheh.

I've looked around and there's simply not a lot of options when it comes to controllers. It all looks like the same S#$%!
Old 07.05.2013, 06:55 PM

Do you have the same keyboard (Remote MkII)? Wasn't sure from your post.