Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.04.2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, maybe it's not even ready yet. Pretty much like the Pulse 2. However, Novation usually doesn't take long to actually release their products after announcing them. I do like the physical interface and the specs. Moog made a big deal out of having noise and distortion on their latest model. And this one has it to. The Korg, even though it's a reincarnation of a classic product, also has a wonderful sounding high pass filter and some extra modulation options with their semi-modular approach, with the patch bay. The Mini Brute ranks high in the filter department, it's actually based on very good circuitry and they took their time and hired one of the best for it - and it does deliver.

Pulse 2 has very good specs as well, but if I felt there should be a version of Blofeld with more knobs on it, I don't even think it makes much sense to have an analogue synth with such an interface - could be totally wrong though.

I don't get why DSI has dropped the MEK to, as it was meant to be very good competition to the Moog Sub line of synths - and priced a bit lower. In my opinion, they have much better specs on them.

So, I'd say Korg MS 20 mini, this new Novation and the Mini Brute seem to be the best bang for the buck for analogue mono synthesizers with small keyboards and affordable prices. DSI can easily compete directly with Moog in this department as well, but since it's a short company, they're probably more focused on the big brother prophet 12. But would like to see something in the lines of the MEK come up some time soon. Either pure Analogue (with knobs on it, not like the Mopho or Tetra please), or hybrids - which is probably the territory to go for nowadays, since most people like to have one foot on both sides of it anyways.
Old 09.04.2013, 01:29 AM
Pro
Pro

Yes, the DSI MEK is one wonderful instrument and has taken my heart as my favorite, incredibly deep and capable keyboard that is actually very much "modular" in nature when you start down the rabbit hole!

The first novation Bass Station WAS/IS analog, it just employed DCO's, just as most of DSI analog synths do. The Novation Super Bass Station was rack model only and DCO's and seems the new Bass Station 2 builds upon the architecture of it as about 2/4 of specs are same as Super Bass Station, then added even more great specs. What I see omitted is the CV in/out that both the rack version of first Bass Station and Super Bass Station had, giving you essentially a midi to cv converter. This is included on MiniBrute.

I personally did not like the miniBrute when giving it a good 45 minutes at Sweetwater, an hour North in neighboring State where my parents live and I grew-up. Sure, I certainly think it's incredible bang for buck but I for one, did NOT like the sound of filter. I will also admit that could change if two variable pulse width osc's AND a sub osc were implemented on whatever Arturia release from their labs next

Perhaps too, I am a bit already 'swooned' by the Korg MS20 Mini, knowing from using the original, how sweet the two osc's are and those two filters, coupled with modulation heaven with patch bay...yummm!

I actually find the Waldorf editing matrix very intuitive. Having a Blofeld Keyboard Black Edition, and had my first experience with same matrix on my first Waldorf, the Micro Q Omega (75 voice expansion model), and have absolutely no problems adjusting multiple parameters--it just takes familiarizing yourself in-use and it just *clicks*.

Yes, one has to wonder what likes of Roland and Yamaha will release, if anything, in the analog revolution! Yamaha makes a lot of their bread and butter in the educational instruments and is still right up there with Steinway in acoustic pianos. Roland would probably make a mint in making something tweaked in a real new TB. But Roland has a history of making money by making a person buy this and that if you want 'full features' and funny thing is that both Korg's orig. MS20 and Roland's TB were sold as "budget synths" and were almost considered flops as far as sales numbers go until little over decade post release, DJ's and New Wave groups such as The Cars, made people lust after them, not to mention minions of Depeche Mode cover bands...I know, as I was right in the mix.

Lastly, wouldn't it be kind of interesting now that the Kemper Amp Simulator project is a finished and available for retail sale; what if Access incorporated real analog filters alongside digital filters in which you could utilize 'hybrid filter-morphing'???
Just a little food for the gray matter! Anyone have any clues what Access is up to these days? Even hamburger joints have to do something unexpected rather than playing it safe and show-up at trade shows with same old burger and bun...just saying!
Old 09.04.2013, 01:43 AM
Pro
Pro

According to DSI, they discontinued the MEK in June, 2012 simply because it was not a 'big seller'. It certainly has a BIG sound on it's own, let alone poly chaining two desktop evolvers for three note poly. I personally think if one has other synths, the Poly Evolver could simply be 'too massive', and I will add that at least on USA Ebay, the MEK is holding value used at same or higher selling point when available new. Since the DSI Mopho x4 is NOT a keyboard version of Tetra, hence no multi timberal; it almost did not make sense releasing Mopho x4 when after reading a lot on unofficial DSi Forum now, seeing over and over in past, the most requested new product was a keyboard version of Tetra, of which, still has some major code rewriting in-progress for three years now and at least they are working on it, each beta O.S. introduces bugs never present...all this while still finishing Prophet 12! My take is if it were DSI that had introduced Total Integration, they would have worked night and day and fixed it or hired Sound Tower techs to help get it done properly...again, just saying and yes, I love my Virus C and it has been via digging deep in DSI MEK that has made me have a much proficient and creative approach with the virus architecture! Sorry so long and rant over!
Old 09.04.2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I've been looking for the MEK on ebay with no luck! There's simply nothing out there with such wild specs. I expect to see more products coming up with this hybrid approach.

The Evolver series uses a Curtis based circuit for the filter, same kind that was used in the Mini Brute - even though each manufacturer gives it his own touch. Funny that we're talking about filter circuits again, uh?

Would be interesting to see Access pull something out for this new analogue race. Hybrid would be cool, but I feel there's a lot they could try and implement even on the digital waters before going for that. There's room for smaller projects, in the likes of Waldorf's Rocket, or the Korg's MonoTribe, and stuff like that, to test the analogue waters - if they were interested in that.

Waldorf is somehow much more daring and they are quickly growing their line of products. Even though, I'll say it again, would make sense to see something in the lines of the Q keyboard show up some time soon: I know the Blofeld is pretty intuitive, a close friend of mine has one and I've had the chance to use it, but there's folks here that really want the knobs! Specially for highly complex sound engines, such as the Blofeld. They could do something in the lines of the MEK to, would be interesting!
Old 09.04.2013, 02:37 PM
Pro
Pro

Arturia MiniBrute is not shy about advertising that it *actually* uses the "Steiner-Parker-Filter", rather than Curtis but perhaps I misunderstand in that even the "Steiner-Parker-Filter" is BASED on or BUILT on the Curtis Circuit? Have never heard Curtis Filter used in association with MiniBrute but certainly correct me/inform me if wrong here.
I would wholeheartedly *welcome* an incredibly knobby editing interface to set on all the unused synth keyboard real estate, and believe have read where there's been mapping templates made by users for Novation Remote SL Zero. Access started making such editing interfaces before the Virus line released, with coincidentally, Waldorf being one of editors made specifically for the Microwave 1. Waldorf and Access have been technology bedfellows over the years, even assisting further development of the Virus when Waldorf went bankrupt.
I will say I have watched/listened to some demos of MiniBrute on youtube that were musically pretty cool just last night, so it can be in your face rude or soft and buttery.
Novation must have done something interesting with addition of different filters rather than re-releasing carbon copy. However, the Korg MS20 mini being a faithful reproduction by same original designers is Very welcome!
Old 09.04.2013, 04:47 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Nope. My bad. I thought its filter was based on the Curtis circuit, but instead it's the "Steiner-Parker" like you said. It's also a very famous circuit, but think it was redesigned for this specific model and is a full multi-mode analogue self-oscillating filter - which is a rare thing, specially on this price range. I never tested it in loco, like you did, so I really can't say much, but did like the sound of the demos and videos. And that "metalizer" function introduces some very sharp harshness to the sound, sort like FM sound, but with a different touch.

But it's more then natural. Some people like the sound of a given filter, and that's a big part of the character of a given synthesizer.

As for the Novation, it has the original circuit I think

One of the features that made the Bass Station, as Novation co-founder Ian Jannaway puts it, “an all-time classic of the synth world” was its filter, designed by Chris Huggett (who has been associated with Novation ever since) and based on the unique filter he had designed for the famous OSCar synthesiser a few years before.

And the new one, of course. Also multi-mode. Seems nice, but will have to wait for some sound demos and proper show off videos.
Old 01.08.2013, 01:37 AM
This forum member lives here

Here's the sweetwater demo vid of this synth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ezc0Ga_mlFw

Not going to single handedly replace the rest of your gear collection to be sure, but at the price point it seems pretty good.

Here's another vid as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZD0Q1UF7Eo
Old 01.08.2013, 05:39 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Here's the sweetwater demo vid of this synth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ezc0Ga_mlFw

Not going to single handedly replace the rest of your gear collection to be sure, but at the price point it seems pretty good.

Here's another vid as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZD0Q1UF7Eo
The guy demoing it has even less of a clue than me about synths, Lol!

The English guy knows his stuff though.
Old 01.08.2013, 08:02 AM
Pro
Pro

Yes, the second demo from actual Novation guy was much better. Kind of surprised they chose to not have cv/out/cv/in with plethora of analog gear and increased interest in modular systems these days. But then again and as he stated, getting best of analog and digital control here! Although have never owned a Roland Sh101 but have heard it in person played, this sounds like a bit more complicated "Roland-ish sound" and of course much more capable. I actually hear from the new multi-mode filter nuances of original Pro One especially in deep bass range. Here some "John Carpenter" like bass sounds from his early movies.
My Waldorf Pulse Plus analog rack has CV to midi converter with cv/in cv/out and am interested in something with keys to control it effectively, but may just resort to good old midi as fully spec'd in that department.
Bass Station 2 *is* a very sexy looking synth. Very cool there's an audio external input and that all the controls send midi cc and can be mapped for those whom use soft synths as well.
A bit off topic but certainly related: Korg's MS20 is being manufactured in China and what read on forums, seems that's where the quality control issues lay in order to mass produce at that price point. Hope they get that sorted because last thing a person wants is a new synth with pots becoming scratchy fast on a synth that begs to be tweaked.
Kudos to Novation for having after touch on the Bass Station 2 keys!!!
Old 01.08.2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
The guy demoing it has even less of a clue than me about synths, Lol!

The English guy knows his stuff though.
I got the "clueless" vibe from both, I probably should have put in the disclaimer that these should be used only for listening to the sounds.

Everytime I hear a "sales demo" of any synth, it's painful because they sit there and drone on about the obvious that anyone who has spent more than an hour learning synthesis already knows.

However, the English guy did show off some of the features better, but it makes sense because he is a Novation employee that has a smaller product line to get familiar with, whereas the other guy is a Sweetwater employee that has to try to sell a gazillion products from a gazillion vendors. And the Novation rep got the opportunity to try to sell us some other Novation stuff at the same time