Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 01.08.2013, 01:19 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Kudos to Novation for having after touch on the Bass Station 2 keys!!!
And $500 retail. It will be crazy if we see street prices of $400 for this synth a year after intro.

Novation seems good at understanding the need to provide bang for buck.
Old 01.08.2013, 07:07 PM

Here's a soundcloud demo to add to the above:

https://soundcloud.com/novationmusic...i-first-listen
Old 01.08.2013, 07:45 PM
Pro
Pro

All this would be quite moot if for some odd reason something either were to drastically change with our Sun and Earth to where electromagnetism and generation of electrical power were no longer possible because we would then be fighting off those that would be wanting to steal our acoustic instruments for firewood!

Yeah, my brain works this way; especially when listening to some fine Classical music and hearing what was done without electricity at all!

Now, are those VCO or DCO's on the Bass Station 2??? Think the original BS and Super BS had DCO's and know from looking at them in pawn shop once, the knobs were way too small and close together and the keyboard version of the first one looked like a toy compared to this new 2013 synth.

I too, agree that Focusrite and Novation can be more reasonable in bang for buck. However, I *still* think I paid way too much for my Remote SL 61MK2 controller. I love it but Novation seems ONLY concerned about "Automap" and not those of us whom use hardware synths and want to make our own templates because I sure wish I had known when I bought it that when NOT using Automap, a good percentage of buttons and such simply do not have ANY function. Seemed only 6 months post purchase, Novation then released *yet another* full line of cheaper controllers called 'Impulse' which definitely have crap-tastic key-action compared to the Remote SL MK2. Rant over and back OT; I see Bass Station 2 as a direct competitor to the Minibrute, and other than the 'brute's cv/in/out gate/in/out, being a much more versatile instrument because the 'brute's midi spec is nowhere near the Bass Station 2 either.
Old 24.09.2013, 10:22 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Hi everyone! We just finished our review and test of BS2 here: http://en.audiofanzine.com/analog-sy...tle-fatty.html

Comments most welcome!
Old 24.09.2013, 11:53 AM
Pro
Pro

Great review! I think the omission of key follow for filter and in a new "analog spring" to also omit cv/gate in/out, which would make it more utilitarian in working "outside the box" with the many options out there now, and the sharing of one set of sliders for both envelopes kind of sucky for live manipulation smoothly. Lastly, since part of the BS2 is obviously digital, it makes no sense as the review stated, "...the USB connection does not allow access to the outside world..." (paraphrased), which if that is fact, although there's midi DIN in/out, integration in DAW via USB not being possible, and USB 1.1 at that????
Well, the Waldorf Pulse 2, albeit $300. more, offers much more versatile options, to include CV/Gate, in addition to being able to use low pass filter and high pass filter in series.
BS2 seems like a great option on a budget and the added rather cool sequencer with 4 stored memories not locked to any set program just makes me think had Novation just made this a three octave synth, they could have had knob/sliders per function and a future buy for me. As it stands, find the Minibrute, MS20, and Waldorf Pulse 2 much more viable options for what I wish to do with synthesis and making music. Do not get me wrong, the sound is great but when a user interface is somewhat limited with so many shared functions, well, that's subjective I realize and others may not find these things cumbersome.