Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.03.2005, 05:05 AM
New here
New here

Default Stupid Midi Questions

Hey Guys,

I've got a virus keyboard (b) that I would like to use as a controller for my EMU sampler all in conjunction with Cubase VST. I've got 2 sets of midi ports into computer. Is there anyway to use the 16 channels of Virus, 16 of the sampler whilst still controlling both from the virus keyboard?

And if not, how can I "shut off" a midi channel in multi mode for sequencer use. (Those "off" channels would then be used for the sampler)

Much thanks,

Paul
Cubase VST
Old 29.03.2005, 07:34 AM
This forum member lives here

switch the keyboard local to off in the main EDIT menu.
Old 29.03.2005, 03:06 PM
New here
New here

The problem though is that if I select channel 5 in Cubase, it will play both channel 5 on the virus (midi in/out of virus to midi in/out on computer) and on the sampler (midi thru from virus). On the sampler I can disable a channel, so I can get just Virus- but is there a way to do that on the Virus?

Paul
Cubase VST
Old 29.03.2005, 08:45 PM

are you hearing the virus on every channel or just channel 5. Did you try the keyboard local off. It sounds like what you are describing that it is turned on.
Old 30.03.2005, 11:12 AM

There is no real way to use 16 channels on your Virus, and another 16 on your sampler, if you are running them both from the same sequencer (well, VST anyways - I use VST too by the way). You can sync up 2 seperate sequencers to get the job done though. I have never tried anything like this from a single computer though - only hardware sequencers when jamming with mates.

You can however disable midi channels in your Virus and sampler not to respond to incomming midi. This will give you 8 channels for the Virus and 8 for the sampler for example. Unfortunately I haven't used multi-mode (in the way it was intended) for ages, so I can't give you the specific menu presses at the moment because I'm not infront of my gear.

I'm sure one of the other guys can answer from the top of their heads though. If they can't, I'll take a look in a few days and let you know.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 30.03.2005, 11:25 AM

I may have misread what he is asking, but if you are looking to use 16 midi channels with your virus and 16 with your emu simultaneously, then I would recommend getting a midi patchbay like the midex or midisport (sic). Each one of these gives you a discreet "midi buss" each with 16 available channels. So, for example, with 3 busses you can theoretically have 48 available midi channels.
Old 30.03.2005, 04:59 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
You can however disable midi channels in your Virus and sampler not to respond to incomming midi. This will give you 8 channels for the Virus and 8 for the sampler for example. Unfortunately I haven't used multi-mode (in the way it was intended) for ages, so I can't give you the specific menu presses at the moment because I'm not infront of my gear.

I'm sure one of the other guys can answer from the top of their heads though. If they can't, I'll take a look in a few days and let you know.
OK- this sounds like what I need to do- besides with the available polyphony, I would never use 16 channels at once anyways. I'll take a look in the manual and see if I can figure out how to disable the channels. Thanks!!!

Paul
Cubase VST
Old 30.03.2005, 05:02 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Jones
I may have misread what he is asking, but if you are looking to use 16 midi channels with your virus and 16 with your emu simultaneously, then I would recommend getting a midi patchbay like the midex or midisport (sic). Each one of these gives you a discreet "midi buss" each with 16 available channels. So, for example, with 3 busses you can theoretically have 48 available midi channels.
With such a midi patchbay would I still be able to control the sampler from the virus keyboard? Maybe that is possible with a clever midi patchbay?

Paul
Cubase VST
Old 31.03.2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldirks
With such a midi patchbay would I still be able to control the sampler from the virus keyboard? Maybe that is possible with a clever midi patchbay?

Paul
Yup! Get a decent MIDI interface though.....will save on future drama's. There are a large range of multi I/O USB MIDI interfaces, depending on what you have and what you hope to get, 4 or 5 I/O is usually good. I use a MOTU Microlite, and am very happy with it. I control my Virus and Motif from my X5D

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 31.03.2005, 12:51 PM

Well just checking in on this thread again, and I happily stand corrected!

So it is possible from a single computer using an interface like the Microlite. VST will support this though?

Now I have another question.....

Can these interfaces work as standalone units? For example, not switching the computer on at all and using it as a standard patch bay?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut