Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.06.2005, 06:48 PM
Pro
Pro

Harry, I bought the 7506 for $100.00? Why do you have a different price?
The frequency response of 7506 range from 10hz to 20khz.
Old 08.06.2005, 07:20 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to harrystainer

http://www.dv247.com/invt/9005

looks like they are cheaper in the US. $100 would mean they would be about ?50 which is already 1/3 of the price

Thanks for the info!
Old 08.06.2005, 11:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Its hard to go past the AKG K240 studios for the money and they are so bloody comfortable to wear. Also, certified flat response.

As for the sonys going down to 10 hz. LMAO!!!! at -how many dBs?

I can't hear below 25hz and I'll bet none of you can either
Old 09.06.2005, 12:03 AM
This forum member lives here

The AKG K240's are budget headphones.....mine are cactus and they never left the studio.

I would recommend a pair of Beyer headphones. Solid

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.06.2005, 06:25 AM
Pro
Pro

Jase, the AKG K240's were built to the exact specifications given to AKG by Deustche Rundfunk (German Radio) as their de-facto cans to be used when recording live orchestra gigs. Can't understand why they don't sound any good in your studio. What's your desk?

But beware anyone who's interested in a pair cos they are 600 ohms impedance. Trying to use these out of a soundcard would be like trying to light a truck's headlamp on a couple of Duracells.

As for the quality, I run them out of my mixer on a balanced system and they sound better than my genelecs used to. Not because my gennys weren't any good, they were great.
Old 12.06.2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsa
Jase, the AKG K240's were built to the exact specifications given to AKG by Deustche Rundfunk (German Radio) as their de-facto cans to be used when recording live orchestra gigs. Can't understand why they don't sound any good in your studio. What's your desk?
Never said they didnt sound good, they are just not built to last. I am very careful with my gear and they are broke. I run the headphones from a Rolls headphone amp, from a stereo output from my MOTU 2408mkIII. No mixer involved.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.06.2005, 03:07 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Gopal , it's not because you can't hear below 25hz that it's not a good thing that the headphones produce frequencies below that.
I read a book and it explains why the wide range of frequencies is important.
They did some tests with sounds and stuff where they compared the sounds with the frequencies below 20 hz and above 22 khz to the same sounds without those frequencies and there was an audible difference.
The theory was : tho we can't hear those frequencies , they have an effect on the frequencies we can hear , they slightly change them , so if we remove those frequencies , the sounds change.
Not that i'll ever be able to hear the difference , but hey , i ain't no mixing or mastering engineer you know.
Greetz...
Old 12.06.2005, 03:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

in addition leaving sub bass freq untreated (or untrimed for that matter) the lower end of your mix can sound moody because of these.

i usualy trim everything below 25-30 hz dou to the fact that i cant monitor them,rather be safe then sorry i say.

another question how exacly do you guys treat the lower end of your mix?
Old 12.06.2005, 07:34 PM
Pro
Pro

Jase, you're right there. they are a bit flimsy especially where the cable goes in the cans. I double wrap it around the frame to avoid yanking it out.

Tomer I never trim out the bottom like you do, but I'm gonna try it now. getting a great bass sound is worth its own thread - or messageboard even!
Old 12.06.2005, 09:13 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to harrystainer

Yeh I agree - could someone post some tutorials / guides on how to EQ frequencies properly? I would find it helpful as I usually mix by ear and it would be useful to know how to do it properly