Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.03.2006, 02:03 PM
New here
New here

Default At the risk of looking silly... (about bass mp3s)

I've noticed a number of posts where people are asking questions about which synth gets a good bass sound. It often ends with a request for an mp3 expample. I have a couple of points for your consideration:

1) Mp3s are often so compressed that I would not trust what I hear and

2) If you are downloading the mp3 samples on your computer, you are probably listing to them on computer speakers. Even if they are high end gaming speakers they will not tell you the same story that studio speakers will.

3) When comparing synth bass sounds, the differences can be very subtle but meaningful to you.

Therefore

a) Go to a music store or your friend's studio if you can. Hear the beasts in person on a good system.

b) If the previous suggestion is impractical, at least move the mp3 to as good of a playback system as you can.

c) If possible, get a sample with loss-less compression or no compression.

Otherwise, you might be in for a shock when you actually purchase your new synth.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 24.03.2006, 02:40 PM

Or better yet, learn that getting a good bass sound has less to do with what synth you use, and more to do with how good your synth programming and audio engineering chops are

I haven't heard a synth in ages (RedSound Darkstar is the only one that comes to mind) that wasn't capable of awesome bass if you know what you're doing.

Just my $.02 though, feel free to 'buy' the best bass you can.
Old 24.03.2006, 03:19 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith
I haven't heard a synth in ages ... that wasn't capable of awesome bass if you know what you're doing.
I agree. I own several hardware and software synths and I never say "synth 1 is good for bass but synth 2 is bad for bass." I do say synth 1 is good for this song.

For example, you might choose a DX7 bass sound, even though FM is not known for fat bass, because you like how it sits in the mix.

I think you would agree that not all synths sound the same when playing similar patches. That's one reason why people often own more than one synth.

All I'm saying is that mp3 examples on computer speakers may not be as helpful as one might think in choosing a musical instrument.

I really do agree with your programming comment though. Than again, I can get very fussy about my drum sounds. I guess every one has their own point of view and quirks. I know I do.
Old 24.03.2006, 03:52 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith
I haven't heard a synth in ages ... that wasn't capable of awesome bass if you know what you're doing.
For example, you might choose a DX7 bass sound, even though FM is not known for fat bass, because you like how it sits in the mix.
Hmmm - Ive allways thought that FM and actually every variation on additive/contructive sysnthesis is extremely good for bass sounds, and generally alot more energetic/punchy as well, without the need to engage in extreme compressor abuse.
Old 24.03.2006, 03:54 PM
Am starting to like this forum

FM is used for like all hardcore house bass
Old 24.03.2006, 04:43 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Hmmm - Ive allways thought that FM and actually every variation on additive/contructive sysnthesis is extremely good for bass sounds, and generally alot more energetic/punchy as well, without the need to engage in extreme compressor abuse.
Your right of course. That's why we all make different choices as musicians.

Keep in mind howver, that I'm not trying to start another thread about what makes a good bass sound. Rather, that listening to mp3s on computer speakers may not be the best way to judge audio.

Khazul, have you tried NI's FM7?
Old 24.03.2006, 07:16 PM

Also, I recently switched to analogue outs from usb outs.. and damn you really can tell the difference especially for bass. You can instantly notice the dynamic range increase after using usb for months.

Can anyone recommend some good studio speakers? I've been using spdif altec|lansing gaming speakers for like 5 years.. I think new speakers are a must for me to eq bass right.
Old 24.03.2006, 07:39 PM

mnj, how much do you want to spend?
Old 24.03.2006, 09:13 PM

like 300$ max
Old 24.03.2006, 09:14 PM

Studio Speakers!