Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 11.12.2005, 04:08 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Default Opinion(s) required...

At last! The first bits of my new studio arriving tomorrow, TI included.

The aim was to make the studio as virtual as possible - ie no external mixing desk. But seeing as the "total integration" on the Ti is not quite as good as it should be (at the moment) I will be using the 3 pairs of stereo outs - for the time being...

What would be a good way to get the three stereo outs into my system? I have been looking at the RME ADI range - I am thinking that I just need decent A/D (keeping in mind I already have an Apogee Rosetta 200 for my D/A mastering) But then I could be going down the wrong route.

Apple G5 dual-core (running Logic 7)
Apogee Rosetta 200
Access Virus TI (keyboard)
Mackie Control Universal
Dynaudio BM5a's

Any thoughts from the wise guys would be much appreciated.
Old 11.12.2005, 05:32 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

crap,
get some good old atari computer and a SID machine and start rockin',80s style! 8O

nah,just joking
awesome setup,do forget to spend some money on decent cabels and proper acustic treatment.
Old 11.12.2005, 05:50 PM
Amateur
Amateur

SID chip - C64. Sigh... now that takes me back. Martin Galway battling Rob Hubbard for the music crown, chocolate digestives washed down with coca cola, jumpers for goalposts... Out of interest it's either Delta or Wizball for me.

About 7 years ago I remember reading a review in Future Music of a proper dedicated SID synth hardware unit. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.

Cheers bud noted. Decent cables - and acoustic treatments.

Any ideas on the stereo input solution?
Old 11.12.2005, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan
SID chip - C64. Sigh... now that takes me back. Martin Galway battling Rob Hubbard for the music crown, chocolate digestives washed down with coca cola, jumpers for goalposts... Out of interest it's either Delta or Wizball for me.
http://www.hvsc.c64.org/

Days of reminiscing and shed loads of musical inspiration there. Awesome stuff.

Quote:
About 7 years ago I remember reading a review in Future Music of a proper dedicated SID synth hardware unit. I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called.
Elektron SIDStation

Spawned one of my very favourite club tracks of the late 90's, "Kernkraft400" by Zombie Nation (which, in turn, was inspired from the C64 game Lazy Jones).

The SID-Stations ain't half pricey units, though! I still lust after a couple. ?400 each the last time I checked.

Of course there are the "QuadraSID" and "Quantum64" VST-Is which were at least inspired by the SID chip, but I digress...

However, there are PCI cards with SID chips implanted on them for integrating with PCs. http://www.hardsid.com/
Old 12.12.2005, 01:31 AM

I personally don't have any experience with the ADI line but, in general, the rme lines have a very good reputation. I have been thinking about replacing my layla 24 (to go with a firewire solution) and the fireface 800, hands down, comes out on top. It's an expensive beast, but really seems to outshine all other competitors in it's class. I think the adi line is highly touted as well.
Old 12.12.2005, 06:46 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Cheers Doc. Yes I am seriously considering the RME Fireface 800 for my A/D - with the Apogee Rosetta 200 taking care of my D/A and mastering duties.

The Motu range looks very interesting aswell - particularly the Traveler. I have been reading some very good things about it - and it is considerably cheaper than the RME 800 - but this is making me seriously doubt the quality of the unit.

Too much bloody choice!

Timo that QuadSID sounds very nice - have you heard the Vanguard synth made by the same company? It is fucking awesome.
Old 14.12.2005, 04:12 AM

yeah, definitely let me know what you ended up going with and how it works out. I am thinking about replacing my layla 24 soon.
Old 16.12.2005, 09:17 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Doc. Sacked the Apogee Rosetta 200 and I'm going for the Apogee Rosetta 800 96k and the X-firewire board - job well and truly done. I can get all the TI stereo outputs straight in through a DSUB to 1/4 jack connector - and have a couple of inputs spare!

Just sorting out a deal with sweetwater.com - unless anyone knows a better US dealer to go through...
Old 16.12.2005, 10:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I used to have grand ideas of a virtual studio - then I decided it was a pain in the ass allways having to depend upon an overly stressed computer and millions of knobs (on DAW controllers) with no labels on them, then add audio lag/latency etc etc - came to the conclusion that its a dream for one day, but right now it just aint there - computers need to imporve alot.

So I've since gone down the integration route instead - external mixer thats also my daw controller and sound interface (also has channel strips and fx) - means I allways have a good monitor mix, have zero latency and very good integration - more or less everything in audio routing and levels is (or can be) controlled for my mixer. The huge advantage in this is I still have a fully functioning sound system for playing with the coimputer switched off (or otherwise engaged).

If you do want to go down the virtual route - consider hardware assist - RME PCI cards are definately worth a look as they have built in audio matrix/mixer in hardware. You will probably also want a good DAW controller - for larger rigs (or more spread out) maybe a main controller and a wireless one - which is where Im going so I can control DAW tracking from some distance away from the comp.

If I hadnt gone for combined external mixer/controller/sound interface - then I would have gone for one of the newer range or RME PCI cards and added an external digital mixer to it via light pipes.
Old 19.12.2005, 11:26 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Khazul - totally depends on what computer you are running your virtual studio on pal - and what you want to achieve/create.

I have just picked up a new Apple Mac DualCore G5 running Logic 7.1.1 and I have to say that it has totally blown me away. My TI arrived roughly at the same time and it has taken second fiddle (at the moment!)

The sheer power and usability of all of the many standard virtual synths, instruments, loops and excellent powerful FX (Space Designer reverb is awesome) IMHO is second to none out there at the moment. For what I want to achieve my virtual studio has arrived and will only gain more power and features with future updates. Logic runs so smooth on the G5.

Although dubious at first I am glad I sold all of my old external kit - even though it hurt considering what I originally paid for it! It is so much bloody easier.

Using Logic with my Mackie Control Universal has negated the need for me to ever consider getting another external mixing desk. The only slight issue I have is with regard to getting high-end D/A A/D conversion. My music production will be entirely electronic/dance based, no need for any mic inputs for vocals or drum kits - when I need to I will pop into a pro studio for vocals and just take along my Logic project with me on my external hd.

My research lead me to two units. The RME Fireface 800 and the Apogee Rosetta 800 96k. There are many features on the RME that I will never use, so I am swaying towards the Rosetta. I can use the Rosetta's DSUB to Jack connectors to get my TI's lovely audio outputs into Logic, and still have a spare stereo input. I need to get down a pro audio store and do a direct comparison between the two units and see whether the Apogee warrants the extra cash.

It would also be good to hear anyone else's opinion on using Apogee over RME. I suppose at the end of the day you get what you pay for...