Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 14.04.2005, 11:59 AM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to myrva
Default Making different sawleads.

Okay, I've been messing around with the virus b presets and soundsets for about 3 years. I'm fed up with that shit (sorry).. My dream is to MAKE my own sounds, not just browse through the banks hoping to find a sound that fit's my song. damn I'll make my own sounds from now on.

This is the deal. I know a bit about programming va synths. I've read a lot etc. And I can also MAKE sounds... All i have is a couple of questions.

Making the ultimate "you have never heard this one before" supersaw sound.

*imagine*

I put all osc to saw, play with detune and osc mixer, add unison, hell even a bit of chorus. It sounds like a supersaw. Now I have to access the filters. Tweaking the envelopes and env amount, cutoff, resonance... yeah. this is the way....I just made the same sound that I made yesterday, and the day before that... etc. etc.

*end imagining*

Now, to the question.

What settings of the filter change the sound most? is there REALLY a difference which filter you use in your virus. How can you make the sound different from others? LFO's? Pulsewidth? those are just questionmarks to me... How can you (for example) create a synced sawlead, like M.I.K.E guys use on their songs... I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right knobs.

Please help me Pimp My Sound.

+ antti
Old 14.04.2005, 12:36 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Re: Making different sawleads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrva
Making the ultimate "you have never heard this one before" supersaw sound.
your post got me thinking....

i wonder what it would sound like if it went to your local electrical store and sampled all the hoovers turned on at once - if maybe, just maybe, it would be *phatter* than the TI hypersaw?

its late - im bored...
...and i just had to beat jasedee to it
welcome to virusforum

cheers

blay
Old 14.04.2005, 12:48 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Blay, you may mock - but I remember trying exaclty that.

About 7 years ago I got my Mum's Dyson and tried sampling it!

I learnt not to place the microphone in immediate vicinity of the suction path as you get the sound of a lot of air rushing past a mic.

I also sampled Dremel multi-drills against metal and alsorts of tools I found in my Dad's shed!

Forgotten all about that! Ta,

Drammy
Old 14.04.2005, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy
Blay, you may mock - but I remember trying exaclty that.

About 7 years ago I got my Mum's Dyson and tried sampling it!

I learnt not to place the microphone in immediate vicinity of the suction path as you get the sound of a lot of air rushing past a mic.
Not to mention absolutely wrecking a condensor mic! if you tried to use one of them instead of a dynamic, that is.
Old 14.04.2005, 02:44 PM
New here
New here

I've been reading this forum for months now...Today I just decided to make my first post...

First of all, I wan't to thank all of you for these great responses. I went to my local electrical store and sampled 17 hoovers, 10 dish washers and a microwave with a couple of 57's on each corner of the room and a solid tube in the middle of the room... I was getting pretty good samples until the police came thru the windows and started shooting everywhere.

I had to hide behind a 42" plasma screen.

But.. does anyone have any REAL answers to this post?

+ antti
Old 14.04.2005, 03:30 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to thedjfx

One word - DISTORTION
Depends what music your making really but for D+B its all about crunching up that waveform!
I find the distortion it the VirusB a bit lightweight sometimes for what I want, so I will run a nice fat saw or PWM'd square into Logic and tear it to shreds there - theres limitless possibilities, pedal, tape saturation... etc

Just some thoughts tho, I dont know what type of sound your trying to end up with - obviously you can discard the above if your trying to make a dreamy pad or string patch!
Old 15.04.2005, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
its late - im bored...
...and i just had to beat jasedee to it
welcome to virusforum
Huh???

Which part did you have to beat me to? The part where I make a sarcastic comment, or the "Welcome to Planet Virus" bit???

Anyways, I dont know enough about programming synths to help with this question, I just hang around here cos I have nothing better to do

~Welcome to Planet Virus~

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 15.04.2005, 07:55 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

Quote:
Now, to the question.

What settings of the filter change the sound most? is there REALLY a difference which filter you use in your virus. How can you make the sound different from others? LFO's? Pulsewidth? those are just questionmarks to me... How can you (for example) create a synced sawlead, like M.I.K.E guys use on their songs... I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right knobs.
You said you've read a lot, so you should know there are different types of filtering: LP, HP, BP, BS , each one or any combination of those results in a totally different sound. Now it's up to you to make the right choice because only YOU know what sound you are after
As you may have guessed, all params on your virus share the same purpose: to change the sound! so just play with them until you learn!
This is a general answer to a general question..... be more precise about what you are looking for!

BUT, as far as the synced lead go, i don't know that MIKE thing, but try doing this: sync the osc1&2 and try modulating the osc2 pitch classic!
Old 15.04.2005, 08:09 AM
New here
New here

Thanks for all the answers...

hatembr.. I've been playing with Hipass, lowpass etc... I was just talking about the SER buttons next to the filter settings... what the hell are those.. are they different filter emulations?

I've played with the sound and my OWN sawlead always sounds "the same" (different in a way, but always I can identify it as a sound I made).
When browsing through the presets, there are many different sawleads.. I just wanted to know WHAT parameters make it sound so different...
Cheers.

And btw, what do you think about soundsets...? I've been playing around them for 2? years... Kinda getting fed up with tweaking someone elses sound

+ antti
Old 15.04.2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I was just talking about the SER buttons next to the filter settings... what the hell are those.. are they different filter emulations?
Diagrams are in the manual, but they basically are different filter routing options. Allows for seperate filters on different OSC's and such. Check out the manual for a visual explanation.