Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 04.04.2005, 06:44 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid
Default in need of analog goodness...

recently ive been getting the craving for an analogue polysynth. i started to notice these things on ebay for less than ?250 and my virus hasnt quite satiated my desire for another machine. i want a nord lead 2x baaaad. but at ?750 thats not gonna happen anytime soon. and ive got a nice slice of aggressive VA action with my virus b. and i remember something DS once said about analog synths. what am i saying?! pretty much everything DS says involves analog synths. and the 80s

soooooo.

what are some good affordable MIDI'ed up analog polysynths? ive been looking at the juno-106s and the jx-8ps. and they look tempting.

the kind of sounds im wanting to create? bright. warm. almost guitar like. if that makes sense. i write mostly psy and the big gap i have in my tunes are distinctive, forward sounding leads. that arent 303s. i think im also trying to compliment my virus b with something quite different in a sense but one which will work well as a team. feel free to wander this thread into the land of analog appreciation. me = beginning to see some the nuances of analog synths. someone feed my addiction for analog goodness - throw this crack addict a sweaty analog rock! thank you! in advance!

(P.S. i wasnt sure what forum to put this in. i hovered over a few but settled on this one because it seemed like the most appropriate?)
Old 04.04.2005, 07:43 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Re: in need of analog goodness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Kid
what are some good affordable MIDI'ed up analog polysynths? ive been looking at the juno-106s and the jx-8ps. and they look tempting.

the kind of sounds im wanting to create? bright. warm. almost guitar like
Good, affordable midied analog poly's which spring to mind >> Sequential Prophet 600, Juno 60 (more reliable and warmer sounding than the 106), Roland JX10, Korg Poly6....all of these can be had for ?400 or under....

There are alot of others......but ive listed the ones which are probably the most gratifying to program and grace you ears. For ?600 you can get into Jupiter 6 territory........

Personally i think nowadays....1 VA is enough....ie your virus b. Definitely look into analog...beit mono's or poly's.....I think the simple authentic analog sound is what you probably need.

Personally I have use (albeit not enough use!) of a P5, JP8, MP and P1.....and i think they are amongst the sexiest sounding analog synths ever....

If you want help in sourcing them...pm

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 04.04.2005, 07:47 PM

Some resources for you....

http://www.vintagesynth.com/

http://www.soundonsound.com/readersa...owse.php?Cat=7

http://www.bluesynths.com/index.html

Analog dealer in UK (High prices but you can buy with 100% confidence from here....as all vintage synths have been fully serviced and restored and come with warranty) http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/

Sometimes you'll find analog synths crop up here too http://www.earthmusic.uk.com/products_list.asp?id=17

Hope this helps...

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 04.04.2005, 10:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

yea i heard the juno 60 was better. i saw 1 or 2 on ebay but they were in pretty beat up shape. i also heard they are more reliable than the 106s which always seem to have voice chip problems.

i heard from someone over at the somethingawful forums that people with tip top shape junos tend not to let go of them. the ones floating around ebay for sub ?200 i was told to approach with caution and ask about the elusive/dud 6th voice.

i ruled out the jupiters at the start - they always start higher than my budget and rule number 1 of budgeting - dont even THINK about going over budget.

also is the JX-10 the daddy version of the JX-8P? JX-8Ps go for cheaper than junos.

right now im inclined to agree that 1 VA is enough. it tends to function well as a workhorse synth. good for the stock stuff. now im more interested in broadening my sonic palette and looking for sounds which are for all intents and purposes, impossible to achieve on the synth ive got. at some point a sample playback synth would be awesome. unfortunately v-synth is out of my price range for the foreseeable future.

thanks for the advice so far - ive bookmarked those links. mucho reading to do.
Old 04.04.2005, 11:08 PM
Pro
Pro

I haven't been planning to buy another old analog synth since I opened my Juno106's cover and found out how it was built and in how poor condition the internal cablings were. I know people who's synths just don't work anymore. Those analog synths are great but you never know when's the day that it won't start up anymore. Not a huge problem with some mono-synths without integrated circuitry but Juno's and others which use special LSI's cannot be repaired if the parts are not available anymore. I'm not sure if Roland still make those filter- & oscillator chips but last time when I asked that from Roland service, there were only a couple of them left in the world and no idea if there will be more or not.
Old 04.04.2005, 11:13 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

i know they definitely dont manufacture the voice chips. there are still some in circulation. but when they run out. junos are out of luck :/

that news was a shitter alright. because other than that - it looks and seems to sound awesome.

the video for the infect mushroom song 'deeply disturbed' has a juno 106 in it. video here http://212.199.222.93/infected.co.il...kin/videos.php

is that actually the sound of the 106 or is he just using it as a controller for some other synth?
Old 04.04.2005, 11:45 PM
Pro
Pro

The sound quality is very low but it sounds like it can be the juno. I guess the sounds come from the laptop anyway.
Old 05.04.2005, 12:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

infected dont perform live and what you see is accualy an act.
why? because they use highly prossesed sounds which cant be played live thats one of the reasons.
they just tweak around with the synths and play audio tracks from laptop.
for bass parts they do use their juno.
Old 06.04.2005, 12:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

uhhh. they may not play all their instruments live but ive seen a few keyboards being played and it looks real. and i dont see why its not possible to play live with heavily processed instruments - especially so when theres alot of hardware effects on them. basslines seem to be sequenced though. they definitely do live vocals (which suck i should say).

but i digress. is that a juno 106? it sounds really lovely.
Old 06.04.2005, 03:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

theres stuff that can be done in audio only.

about the juno:it is a lovly sounding synth.