Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 25.03.2006, 01:54 PM
New here
New here

Default I need an honest opinion about the TI

Hello community

Its been some time since I last logged in. Ive been on the fence regarding the TI and I need some opinions now. Please take 1 min to read this

The TI had a delayed launch or what 8 or 9 months? During this time Accesss where having some software related issues with the OS running stable? Ok, so the TI has been available to buy in shops for about 6 months now.

What is the likelihood of Access getting a stable OS up and running given that they've already had about 18 months (more if you include the R&D leading upto the TI's conception). I want a TI but there is no way I can accommodate the current work arounds (ie. just reinstall everything on your computer and see if that works). I produce music for a living, it would take me 2 weeks to reinstall all the packages I run and I cant take the risk of introducing system instability to accomodate just one piece of equipment

I suppose like others, I have been waiting for OS1.1. to surface. I am a little worried however that the TI may never be fully operational. I cant see TI2's selling well unless TI is 100% perfect. Is OS1.1. supported by Pro-Tools?

Peter
Old 25.03.2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: I need an honest opinion about the TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cunnah
.... it would take me 2 weeks to reinstall all the packages I run and I cant take the risk of introducing system instability to accomodate just one piece of equipment.....
Hi, if you haven't already got it, I very strongly recommend grabbing Norton Ghost, then this wouldn't be a problem in the slightest.

Norton Ghost allows you to make a backup image of the entire OS, or other hard-disk, so in the event that something goes wrong afterwards you can simply use the backup image to restore your setup back exactly to when you took the image. A perfect restore. Ghost compresses the backup image(s) too, so they takes less space on your DVD-R discs or HD.

You'll never have to re-install Windows ever again. Even after wiping the HD (or in the event of HD failure), you can use a Ghost startup emergency disk to boot up the system and copy the backup/restore image of the OS back onto the hard-drive (or a new HD) and it takes mere minutes.
Old 25.03.2006, 02:22 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Timo"[quote

Norton Ghost allows you to make a backup image of the entire OS, or other hard-disk, so in the event that something goes wrong afterwards you can simply use the backup image to restore your setup back exactly to when you took the image. A perfect restore. Ghost compresses the backup image(s) too, so they takes less space on your DVD-R discs or HD.

You'll never have to re-install Windows ever again.

Hi timo,
so about this norton ghost....lets say I format my windows hard drive and now its completely blank can I put the ghost straight on the formatted hard drive and my set up will load? if yes how would you go about doing this ?
Old 25.03.2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Sorry about that, I just edited my previous post to answer that before you asked it.

Yes, so long as you've created a Ghost emergency boot disk too (a self-executable floppy disk, for example), then that will allow you to boot into a simple DOS mode of Ghost, to then let you re-copy the backup image to completely restore the whole OS or hard-drive again. I think there's the option to create self-executable CD-Rs or DVD-Rs along with the backup image all on one disc, too, so you can re-install the backup completely from cold.

If the OS is bigger than one DVD (when compressed), it will allow you to span across multiple DVDs. I've never had to do that, though, for OS backups. They generally all fit on one DVD-R. If you were taking a backup of a non OS disk, ie. with loads of data on, such as Wavs or AVIs or the like, then you can span the backup image across multiple DVD-Rs.

Also hard-disk size isn't a problem. If the hard-disk containing your Windows XP operating system is 50Gb, but the OS takes up just 7Gb of that, Norton Ghost only takes a working image of the data, not the free space, so the files are much smaller. A 7Gb WinXP OS would typically compress to about a 4Gb Ghost image. You can even use Ghost to browse your compressed backup images to retrieve any files on there again, should you need them.

You can even restore Ghost images back to different sized hard-drives, so long as there's enough space for the original data to be restored. It doesn't worry about the remaining free space.

It's a damn good prog.
Old 25.03.2006, 02:38 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cunnah
Hello community

Its been some time since I last logged in. Ive been on the fence regarding the TI and I need some opinions now. Please take 1 min to read this

The TI had a delayed launch or what 8 or 9 months? During this time Accesss where having some software related issues with the OS running stable? Ok, so the TI has been available to buy in shops for about 6 months now.

What is the likelihood of Access getting a stable OS up and running given that they've already had about 18 months (more if you include the R&D leading upto the TI's conception). I want a TI but there is no way I can accommodate the current work arounds (ie. just reinstall everything on your computer and see if that works). I produce music for a living, it would take me 2 weeks to reinstall all the packages I run and I cant take the risk of introducing system instability to accomodate just one piece of equipment

I suppose like others, I have been waiting for OS1.1. to surface. I am a little worried however that the TI may never be fully operational. I cant see TI2's selling well unless TI is 100% perfect. Is OS1.1. supported by Pro-Tools?

Peter
Again, the problems that people are having aren't necessarily the fault of the TI. Different systems (computers, OS, applications, etc.) creates a magnitude of different scenarios, which obviously is impossible to predict (even for a company, take a look at Microsoft). As long as people are communicating their problems to Access, of course they will either solve particular issues or state that certain combinations or devices are not supported. This is not unfair in any way, since they do not control the systems, nor does ANYONE have the capability of testing all systems before launch of products. Hence there are going to be some unfortunate people out there that are going to get "screwed" (if you will), but again, that goes for ANY product combo out there.

As a matter of fact; a good example is my Novation SuperNova 2 ProX (rack) that has a (part of the reason I got it) an option slot in the back for digital out (S/PDIF) which I intended to install. The hardware option never even got into production. THAT sucks.

Access-Music will take care of business. Some will enjoy it (like me), others will have to find alternate sound sources, if their systems aren't compatible (or switch systems if they are adamant about the TI). That's life. You're in it!
Old 25.03.2006, 08:01 PM
New here
New here

The reality is more darkest than that.

The TI's bug not only produced by external third party softwares but some are inside the TI itself and happen when the TI is not plugged with computer. All of my "stand alone" TI bug appears randomly.

- the Flashing logo in the back of the TI keyboard : Sometimes when i power off the TI the ligth stop blinking but stay on

- Sometime when i power on the TI, the screen stay blank and the only way to exit this issue is to remove the power cord and plug it again.

- Sometimes notes hangs up and the "Panic button combination" do nothing. Also something power cord unplg/plug action to do.

I get my TI on the first day it was avilable in my country, and none of the OS upgrades give me more stability. it nearly six month that i purchase my TI and Major bugs are not solved.

At last if you are a synth newbie you have to be advised that the owner manual is only a list of the functions but it is also incomplete (no midi implementation, no midi chart, the patch list is incomplete and helpless).
Sonar 5 PE/Reason 3.0.3
Old 25.03.2006, 09:10 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

wow i'm really looking into this norton ghost ...sounds awesome.