Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 20.04.2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default OLED - Next generation computer screens/displays!

OLED

Organic Light Emitting Diode. Is self-emitting (self electro luminescence), and thus doesn't need any backlighting like current laptop LCDs, and can use just 2-10 volts to generate light as bright and sharp as CRTs!!

Refresh/response rates are as fast as CRTs, and have a huge 160-degree viewing angle (unlike LCD equivalents), and again there are no dead pixels or dead pixels either. Can even be mounted on flexible surfaces!:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

Small, high-end devices (mobile phones, digital cameras etc.) are going to get a look in first, but eventually I guess we shall see these trickling down and making a debut on consumer laptops, and maybe in home-cinemas. Just as we've seen that LCDs have lowered in price over the past few years as consumerism for them has taken off.

Should also surely increase the battery lifetime of laptops by a great deal, as and when it happens. The screens are incredibly flat and light as well, making it awesome for portability, along with its flexibility.

Timo
Old 20.04.2005, 10:01 PM
Pro
Pro

They have had this technology for a decade or so now but have never been able to get the reliablility of the product or the manufacturing process to a point where it is economically viable. This is one of a few new technologies fighting to be first to replace LCD.

Just remember, Plasma was invented over 20 years ago and how long have we had LCD in our little calculators before they developed it far enough to get colour or any reasonable size out of them, and they still cost too much. Even modern LCDs have close to a 50% failure rate during manufacture of the raw panel, which is one of the main reasons they still cost so much and haven't dived in price like plasmas have.

Old 20.04.2005, 11:00 PM
Administrator

One of the things I read was to do with the blue colour reproduction. Apparently they can get the reliability of the red and green cells to last in excess of 20,000 hrs usage, but the blue cells only garned 1000 hrs lifetime, which is fairly dire. You need all three colours to make up a full colour spectral image.

Still very funky to see what they're working on. However, I just read that the OLED concept was initially conceived by the Kodak co. in around 1980!

Which other display technologies are there vying to fill LCDs' boots?
Old 21.04.2005, 05:17 AM
Pro
Pro

I saw something once on LPD which is Light Particle Display.

It has like a red, green and blue dot inside each pixel and is an organic material like LCD. Minute wires connect it all up, but the whole screen can be rolled up like a piece of paper. Saw it years ago and they said they had sorted everything except the lifespan wasn't enough for commercial viability.

I just googled it and got nothing though so maybe that one's been dead in the water for some time now.

LEDs seem to have alot of unrealised potential though. The next generation of projectors will have LED bulbs putting out 1000ANSI Lumen plus I expect. Dunno how far away that will be though. Won't it be nice when 3 chip DLP projectors with LED bulbs that live forever become affordable though?
Old 21.04.2005, 04:56 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Listen up everybody to this thing i have to say , and we're gunna play some music gunna do it my way, i'm the dj here tonight and ive got my own style , got some 808 beats to make the bitches go wild .
Let me explain to you just what i mean , let me teach you all a lesson about this drummachine , so get up on the floor and get down to my groove , shake your ass bounce your titties and ya let me see that body move .
Gopal
Dave clarke : world service -> Tobias von hofsten : I love my 808

Greetz...
Old 27.04.2005, 05:20 AM

the possible applications for organic circuitry are scary.
how do you think a kmart catalog will look in a few years time? it will be yelling at you from your mailbox from the moment it arrives.
there is also extensive research being done by the US army into utilising organic circuitry for camaflauge purposes....
organic circuitry - for the good of all man kind.

cheers

blay
Old 28.04.2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

The human body is nowt more than an organic computer.

.... Think about it.

It would therefore be entirely possible (theoretically - not realistically [yet]) to create a 100% organic computer that didn't even run on external electricity as a power source (just as the electricity in the human nervous system doesn't require hooking up to a PSU)... you could feed it McDonalds big mac's and it would still run.