Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 25.02.2008, 08:06 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default RME 400 vs. 800

OK, so I'm sacrificing half of my gear on the alter of eBay in the quest for better sound and the hopes of streamlining my workflow.

I've decided to go back to mixing OTB with a Speck Xsum and an RME 400 after the auctions end. I'm using ADAM A7's and Monster Cables, so I'm alright on that side. Probably need some more room treatment eventually.

Before I buy these though, I'd like to get some details about the whole 400 vs. 800 debate. I've been searching some posts on audio forums and some say the 400 sounds worse than the 800. Others say they're the same. Then there's another camp who say the A/D conversion on the 400 is superior to the 800, but the D/A conversion on the 800 is better than the 400. If I email RME and ask them, they'll probably say they're the same.

If anyone's interested, here's what I decided to keep:

Access Virus TI (desktop), DSI Evolver (desktop), Waldorf Blofeld, Spectral Audio Neptune II, Focusrite Trakmaster (with A/D card), TC Electronic Triple C (multiband comp), ESI M4U (MIDI interface), Monster Power 2500 (x2)

Keeping my live setup the same:

(MPC-1000, Waldorf Micro Q Phoenix, Alesis Photon X25, Lexicon MX 400, Ashly line mixer)
Old 25.02.2008, 09:19 PM
This forum member lives here

I use the FF800. Sound quality in the 400 is exactly the same. Specs wise there are some differences.....but your getting the same convertors.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.02.2008, 11:43 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Are you going to use Firewire 800 as well?
Old 26.02.2008, 01:20 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Thanks for the input, Digital.

Drammy, I'm just using an Intel MacMini right now, so no FW 800.
Old 26.02.2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I tried using a FireFace 800 over Firewire 400 and found a number of problems. I was never satisfied with it. I ended up buying a PCIe Firewire 800 card and then all was well.

I was using a PC, but it was an excellent build, just let down by the Firewire 400.

I recommend checking this out first. RME have some excellent newsgroups accessible via their website. There are some very knowledgeable guys on there that will give you an honest answer... I'd check that out...

Actually, thought I'd find the link for ya instead: news://news.x-networks.de/rme-audio.forum

Cheers,
Drammy
Old 26.02.2008, 08:26 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy View Post
I tried using a FireFace 800 over Firewire 400 and found a number of problems. I was never satisfied with it. I ended up buying a PCIe Firewire 800 card and then all was well.

I was using a PC, but it was an excellent build, just let down by the Firewire 400.

I recommend checking this out first. RME have some excellent newsgroups accessible via their website. There are some very knowledgeable guys on there that will give you an honest answer... I'd check that out...

Actually, thought I'd find the link for ya instead: news://news.x-networks.de/rme-audio.forum

Cheers,
Drammy
Thanks for sharing your experience and the tip. Nice of you to provide the link. It's much appreciated.
Old 04.03.2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Thanks for the input, Digital.

Drammy, I'm just using an Intel MacMini right now, so no FW 800.
Actually I need to qualify something here...and to quote Daniel Fuchs of RME Support:

The FF 400 uses a combined ADDA chip (AK 4620), while the FF800 has separate chips (5385/4395). S/N and THD for AD are almost identical, DA specs are marginally better on the FF800. The preamps, however, have been slightly improved.

In other words, nothing to get caught up on

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....