Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 05.01.2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Check this out..Speaker Sytem Modeler for Mixdown testing...

This is a post from another forum where a guy who developed a product posted to inform the other members of its existence: I am not advocating its use or promoting it, merely asking for feedback as to whether or not anyone thinks this will work...

Quote:
SOUND SYSTEM MODELER:

$29.98 available for download
Sound System Modeler is basically a DirectX plug-in that accurately models the listening environments of 27 different sound systems. It allows you to listen to a mix on everything from a boombox to a car stereo to a high end monitor without ever leaving your audio software.
Now, I will admit that I work for the company that developed the product so I'm just going to review my experience with the plug-in and hope that some other people will check it out as well.

First off, this isn't just a set of EQ settings but true impulse modeling of the actual systems. If you use a decent set of monitors, you will get a pretty good idea of how your mix will sound on a given system. Personally, I've saved time by getting it pretty close before burning a single CD. To me, it would be worth the price just for this alone.
It's been out for about a year, I would rate it a 10 (but I'm partial), the sound quality is great and the CPU usuage is very, very low. The next version will have a built in EQ and spectrum analyzer to allow for monitor balancing in real-time.

To listen to an online demo, go to:

http://www.bobtailsoftware.com/bobtailsoftware/ssm.asp

A trial version is available at:

http://www.bobtailsoftware.com/bobtailsoftware/ssm.asp
OK everyone, does this seem for real or somewhat fishy?

I know HC mentioned some issues in the Members Music forum where a the Ferosh song was giving him problems on various speaker systems. I am wondering if using a tool like this might give a better chance of releasing a track that is "universally compliant" with most common audio playback devices.

Thoughts?

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 07:07 PM
Pro
Pro

seems like a total bullshit
Old 05.01.2005, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Thank you very much!

How in the hell can some software emulate so many different speaker systems, especially not knowing what speaker system it is playing out of?

For instance, if this method were viable, it would be possible to apply a Mackie HR824 "filter" through some old Yamaha monitors and make it sound exactly like the Mackies.

I just don't believe this.

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 07:47 PM

This is not new stuff really....Amp modelling, speaker modelling, Mic modelling etc has been around a while now. POD for example does all that stuff but for amps/cabs

I think it is better to just know your monitors well, aand then reference your mixes on other systems.....car, Hi-Fi, friends monitors etc

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 05.01.2005, 07:54 PM
Administrator

I agree with you Jasedee.

It is best to know your monitors well and then jump into the trenches and see how your creation sounds.

I did not think of comparing this technology to amp modeling...DUH!

I actually own a Line 6 Flex Tone II as my main guitar amp as I do not play live anymore; it is perfect for home studio use.

Hmmmph! I still don't know what to think of this thing.

I guess I will download the demo and see what it does.

What the hell!

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 09:15 PM

When you buy monitors, you are not only paying for the companys code, but also paying for better components such as magnets, etc..... So, a simulation may be a good attmept, but not a replacement for btter monitors.
Old 05.01.2005, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Merlot wrote:
When you buy monitors, you are not only paying for the companys code, but also paying for better components such as magnets, etc..... So, a simulation may be a good attmept, but not a replacement for btter monitors.
I agree, I think these guys are trying to sell this concept as a way to simulate different speaker systems (monitor, walkman, car stereo, etc.) on your exisitng monitors.

Lord knows they might try to market it as a replacement for GOOD monitors next!

Anything to make a buck!

Here is a list of the speaker systems it is SUPPOSED to be able to emulate from their website:

http://www.bobtailsoftware.com/bobta...ssm_models.asp

-AlexHall74
Old 05.01.2005, 11:36 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
How in the hell can some software emulate so many different speaker systems, especially not knowing what speaker system it is playing out of?
Monitors are supposed to do a true 1:1 reproduction of sound. As a result, assuming all monitors that the software is used on (which is reasonably for the most part), you can simulate other environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
For instance, if this method were viable, it would be possible to apply a Mackie HR824 "filter" through some old Yamaha monitors and make it sound exactly like the Mackies.
My understanding is that it works the other way around. You have a pair of HR824's and you can apply an ye-aulde-Yamaha model to it to reproduce the sound as if it were those speakers.
________
Domani

Last edited by saba : 26.04.2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05.01.2005, 11:45 PM

i agree saba.

the point being that some 824's could emulate some shitty hifi sound, but the same shitty hifi's couldnt emulate the 824's
Old 06.01.2005, 12:23 AM
Pro
Pro

Every monitor has a different frequency responce, just as every room has
also different freq responce, so the final sound that you hear is 50% your
monitors and 50% your room, because your room is virtually one big monitor also.

Now, i don't see how a software tool can control such things...