Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.05.2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Should be interesting. You can get a similar sound by smashing a tin tray against your head rapidly while whooping like a monkey Just add a touch of reverb & turn the low freqs up to 11.
Old 22.05.2013, 11:55 PM
Veteran
Veteran

XD yeah, many ways to skin a cat
Old 23.05.2013, 12:14 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Should be interesting. You can get a similar sound by smashing a tin tray against your head rapidly while whooping like a monkey Just add a touch of reverb & turn the low freqs up to 11.
Interestingly and without any "monkey business" nor harming my cat:
I have a square and flat Calphalon griddle pan that hangs with others rather artfully in my red-themed kitchen in which I learned that by using one finger in very center of that heavy, non-stick, flat surface, and tapping rhythmically, I get this really cool reverberating square/sine wave akin to way Waterford Crystal can be made to 'sing'.
THAT, coupled with plethora of birds pre-dawn where I live and a distant train, has made me realize will be using a still in the box, gift to me a year ago; a Zoom R24 digital recorder to SDHC to import these wonderful sounds into future ambient compositions.
Yeah, call me crazy for tapping my pots and pans but I remember one time visiting my brother, whom teaches at Univ. of Toronto, a street musician was using nothing but various older all metal vehicle wheel hub caps and only his hands to make some beautiful sounds
Old 23.05.2013, 10:41 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, that's the reason there's a toy box in some studios: you get exclusive sources that many times have their own story, thus emotional content attached to them. This picking up of sounds from space and making music with them reminds me of that scene in "Dancer in the Dark" with Bjork, you know? That's how creativity works, be sure to record those sounds and make something out of them.

A pretty nice recording device! Have you tried the audio interface on that? I'm asking because we're talking about audio interfaces the other day and you could test it with Reaper to see how it goes - just saying

Ok, back on topic: I own a Virus C and I don't have the sound driver installed (yet) so I'm going to look into these sounds and see what I can come up with, BUT, I'll only be able to give some advice for the sound design and not the patch file - until I get my MidiQuest software installed at least.

(btw, anyone else using it on the mac for storing patches and all of that? that's my solution, since the sound driver is not supported anymore on the mac... any input on this would be most welcome of course)...

and what about the others here? this used to be very busy when it came to sound design advice, no? let's not turn into gear sluts XD
Old 23.05.2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yep, that's the reason there's a toy box in some studios: you get exclusive sources that many times have their own story, thus emotional content attached to them. This picking up of sounds from space and making music with them reminds me of that scene in "Dancer in the Dark" with Bjork, you know? That's how creativity works, be sure to record those sounds and make something out of them.

A pretty nice recording device! Have you tried the audio interface on that? I'm asking because we're talking about audio interfaces the other day and you could test it with Reaper to see how it goes - just saying

Ok, back on topic: I own a Virus C and I don't have the sound driver installed (yet) so I'm going to look into these sounds and see what I can come up with, BUT, I'll only be able to give some advice for the sound design and not the patch file - until I get my MidiQuest software installed at least.

(btw, anyone else using it on the mac for storing patches and all of that? that's my solution, since the sound driver is not supported anymore on the mac... any input on this would be most welcome of course)...

and what about the others here? this used to be very busy when it came to sound design advice, no? let's not turn into gear sluts XD
Old 03.06.2013, 02:58 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post

The Zoom R24 is a much better recorder and even looper than audio interface...tried. The LCD on the Zoom is fine for stand alone but for DAW integration it's simply a crowded mess and not utilitarian for at least me. had it not been for that, I could have worked around the absence of midi. However, because plan to get Izotope Iris in future, it will be perfect for importing field recording samples. Where the R24 will be very useful in at least what I plan to be working on is recording different synth ambient/atmospheric tracks and then later while working on something going to Reaper in DAW via Scarlett 18i20 have output of the Zoom going to another input at same time, and using up to 24 different tracks on and off as a pad sampler, freeing myself to the dedicated synth actively played/tweaking knobs. The built-in mics are actually quite good for field recording and then you can edit starting and end points on that LCD before potentially importing .wav file into Iris or just as a looping sound to activate in and out...very nice gift.
Off topic, I know...I LOVE "Dancer In The Dark"!! I saw Bjork when she was with "The Sugarcubes" whilst stationed in USAF in Iceland 1985/1987 in downtown Reykjavik, performing on a large block of ice top level above the stairs of this public skating area in open area near around downtown. very surreal and wonderful and still love her voice and music. He movie was incredibly emotionally moving!

Last edited by namnibor : 03.06.2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03.06.2013, 04:11 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

I liked the jiu jitsu show she did at the BKK airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mJTdGE79I

Old 03.06.2013, 06:04 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Did anyone tried yet?
Old 03.06.2013, 06:33 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I liked the jiu jitsu show she did at the BKK airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mJTdGE79I

More bar room brawl style than martial arts I would say. There are some songs that I like her voice on but just as many that I find really hard to listen too due to her screechiness...if that is a word
I feel this one is also going sideways
Old 07.06.2013, 09:28 PM
Am starting to like this forum

anyone? Or is this too difficult?