Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 07.06.2013, 09:29 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Anyone? Or is this too difficult?
Old 07.06.2013, 09:56 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolz View Post
anyone? Or is this too difficult?
Do you have the copy of the second manual for the Virus Series titled, "Programming Analogue Synths", by Howard Scarr?
If not, it's a free download at least I know it's in both Virus B and C downloads with manuals under that title and it along with, if you have to download it too, the type of Virus and User Manual--they are very well-written. Then, once you go through all those exercises within those, especially the Virus Tutorial By Howard Scarr (Programming Analogue Synths), you can listen to the sound over and over and use what learned from those valuable resources to create THAT particular sound or better yet, YOUR version with your gut and soul in it to establish YOUR own sound.
That Howard Scarr book is only 130 pages but it has volumes of information and he takes you step by step with each of the tools and blocks of synthesis with actual exercises to create certain sounds to see how they and why they do what they do...kind of like a recipe book, but we are not making brownies here as it take practice, failure, repeat and rinse!

Those exercises and wealth of knowledge is applicable to other synths you may have or will have and what it teaches you about the different components and their interaction and modulation to the positive or negative values is also applicable to other types of synthesis and whether a seasoned veteran synth-god, novice, or anywhere between; everyone gleans a better understanding when reading something this concise yet packed with what you need to know rather than a bunch of opinionated egos.
Just my suggestion and do not mean to come across crass, just thought that perhaps you may not have been aware of that excellent resource as did not know if that was shipped alongside the Ti manuals as it apparently was with Virus KC, as bought mine used from first owner and he relayed this to me when he sent these manuals with the keyboard synth...the former owner used Howard Scarr's book so much that it will stay flat no matter what page you turn it to and am finding it invaluable because we never stop learning, well hopefully!
Have fun and twist those knobs until you bleed!

Last edited by namnibor : 07.06.2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08.06.2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran
Veteran

You can use this link to get the manual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Synths.pdf

it's really the best suggestion! when you're reaching for some particular sounds, if you get a good grasp on synthesis you don't have to relly on anyone else for your musical creations. Best advice you can get!

But while I'm at it: the first sound you ask about has some stricking characteristics that should point you in the right direction. Leaving distortion asside for now, you need a really noisy source:

try having two sawtooth waves, tune the second one octave appart (+12 semitones) and detune it to taste, add some noise into the mix. The sound almost speaks something like "peeeooooouuuu", suggesting there's a movement from higher frequencies to lower ones. So, begin with filter one and choose an analogue kind of filter (say 2 poles for starts, but you can experiment), your resonance needs to be set way up (screaming territory) and your filter cuttoff somewhere round 3'o clock. Ok, so try settings like: 0 attack, some decay like 9'o clock or something, no sustain, some release. When you hit a key now, you should feel the quick byte and agressivness of the filter rapidly closing. Try to adjust the env. amount (amount of filter modulation) to find the sweet spots. Once you're happy with that, experiment with the analogue boost, that's turning OSC MIX to a position past 12'o clock. If you like it, fine, if not, try to choose another kind of distortion for the filter, like rectifier or hard (I'm guessing here all the way, so experiment with these). Almost done here. Add some unisson, with some detune and pan to get big and wide. Add some distortion, choose its type carefully while playing keys. If you find this is to static, assign the distortion's amount parameter to the filter envelope (same envelope in this case makes for tighter results, also the case in many many kinds of leads.

Ok, to much low end content there probably for a lead. So, filter mode in serial, filter mix all the way right. Choose high pass, set it so that some of the low end rumble gets away from the mix entirely. Add some resonance. What this will do, I think, is it will enhance the grit of low'mid range you set it to, after the filter movement takes place.

Almost done now. Set a very short attack, so that it doesn't click. You need that setting that's called punch (something, don't remember exactly) turned up for extra sharpness, don't know if I'd leave the oscillators running free or not (test it), if not just set some phase inicial value to the oscillators (that's menu digging or clicking if using VC), and violá, you should be close enough.
Old 03.07.2013, 01:55 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Yep, that's the reason there's a toy box in some studios: you get exclusive sources that many times have their own story, thus emotional content attached to them. This picking up of sounds from space and making music with them reminds me of that scene in "Dancer in the Dark" with Bjork, you know? That's how creativity works, be sure to record those sounds and make something out of them.

A pretty nice recording device! Have you tried the audio interface on that? I'm asking because we're talking about audio interfaces the other day and you could test it with Reaper to see how it goes - just saying

Ok, back on topic: I own a Virus C and I don't have the sound driver installed (yet) so I'm going to look into these sounds and see what I can come up with, BUT, I'll only be able to give some advice for the sound design and not the patch file - until I get my MidiQuest software installed at least.

(btw, anyone else using it on the mac for storing patches and all of that? that's my solution, since the sound driver is not supported anymore on the mac... any input on this would be most welcome of course)...

and what about the others here? this used to be very busy when it came to sound design advice, no? let's not turn into gear sluts XD
Hi! Did you already tried?
Old 03.07.2013, 02:11 PM
Pro
Pro

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by erolz View Post
Hi! Did you already tried?
Do you have the manuals downloaded from Access Music that were HIGHLY recommended for you so that you can get in-depth familiar with all the readily available knobby interface to use with ears and go through ALL THE EXERCISES in it? It really would serve you well and is applicable to just about any hardware or software synth you may use in future.
Not meaning to be crass but it seems you are not taking very helpful advice so you can make YOUR signature sound rather than using the awesome Virus to make "me too sounds", when the virus BEGS to be tweaked and explored.