Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 05.05.2005, 11:02 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Send a message via MSN to Garym
Default gm meltdown mac 2 - professional analog vst synth

Ok guys, how can I break the news.

gm productions are planning on teaming up with graphical designers, and hardcore programmers to produce what is yet to be the most powerful biggest sounding vst synthesizer in the world. With unmatchable specs in mind (including that over some va hardware), we are planning on setting up a dedicated vst synthesizer with the professional producer / sound designer in mind. A feature we have in plan (and one of many) is a gm stack mode, Where you can stack over 40 oscillators working out at (10 waves x 4) (4 oscillators + 1 sub) to create the biggest supersaw sound software can offer. With that said, I am working on building a more general feature list for the meltdown (which should be in production within under 2 months), providing we find the right people to help us create it. This will be one hell of a synth, and we are working very hard to plan it carefully. The finished interface combines a simple, but very sleek new look with a digital screen in the middle for visual data display (which will really work!!). The backend of the synth comprises a beautiful mahogany finish to make a modern analog type look and feel. Again, this will be a feature packed synth with tons of features for creating the best sound you ever heard from a software synth. 10 realtime assignable controllers make sure that you can assign features to each realtime controller, such as filters, lfo's / osc's / effects and features under the hood. The dedicated oscillator section provides powerful editing possibilities and you even have a sync mode where you can sync in oscillators at different speeds and time. We want this synth to be the best. So many features to be explored and planned for this vst (currently making a list of them).

And now to the serious stuff. In order to make this possible, gm productions are looking for dedicated programmers and designers who know what they are doing, willing to contribute to the project. We will be using the prototype image as the finished product, but we require programmers and designers to rebuild a bigger working version (exactly as shown in the image) and code all the features this vst will be offering. We are thinking of offering this vst at a cost, and, if after test phases, gm productions become heavily established, we can devide cash between programmers and graphical designers for valid reasons, such as all the hard work we put into making this synth. Before we can market this product, or offer for download, we need a test version first. The installation program will include a setup.exe, where it will extract the vst dll file to a dir for plugins (just like any other normal vst would).

for a full info rundown on the meltdown, or if you have any suggestions on making this the next big thing in the soft synth industry, let me know, email me at: im_a_devil19@hotmail.com

-

if you can contribute in anyway to the project, or are a programmer / graphical designer willing to help make this synth (GIVE ME A SHOUT STRAIGHT AWAY). The sooner we have the right people to make this, the sooner we'll have the finished product. We are looking for people like you...

to see what this fantastic vst will look like go here: (ip address logged)

http://81.104.36.58

or

http://81.104.36.58/index.html

regards

g.m
Old 05.05.2005, 02:01 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

hi garym

this is a good project, i hope you took in mind the computing power limitation that may handicap such a project.
as far as programming go, i am a programmer but i have absolutly no idea on DSP programming and the mathematical part of sound design. I don't think i can help on that!
I hope you'll find the right people for the right task as soon as possible so we can test your beast!

cheers!
Old 05.05.2005, 08:59 PM
This forum member lives here

My input on this....

1) Sound quality first and foremost
2) Vesatility/flexibility
3) User interface
4) Forget onboard effects.....

Can you do this? Or are you going for a totally commercial product here?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 05.05.2005, 10:30 PM

Sounds cool Gary....keep us posted with developments. Which forums have you posted on? Try www.darksonus.com !

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 05.05.2005, 10:50 PM

Is this a synthedit synth? Or will you plan on programming it in C++ or java?
Old 06.05.2005, 05:12 PM

Dont know mate. As there are a million + 1 subtractive vsti's available now. You need to make something different to set yourself apart from the rest. Whether that is a nice GUI + fx, or 2 different kinds of synthesis molded together, but definitely need something to get noticed in the large world of subtractive vsti's.
Old 06.05.2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garym
maybe the 40osc idea was abit OTT for software, I dont know. They suggested making just 1 decent sounding oscillator. But how the hell, can you get the sound you want with just 1 osc?, pft.
Wasn't the TB303 a one-oscillator, monophonic synthesiser?

I can kinda see the 40 oscillators being maybe a bit OTT. It's like unison - if you over do it, it begins to sound like a "wall of noise". A lot of patches tend to retain their character considerably moreso by just using fewer voices, and then later enhancing that patch, as opposed to 16 x unison with 4 oscillators, or whatever.

I think the graphics should be the last thing you consider. In the initial stages, concentrate on getting a good working concept, and a great sound foundation to work and build upon.

Best of luck
Old 06.05.2005, 10:20 PM
Pro
Pro

You beat me to it Timo,

Thats exactly what I was gonna say
Old 07.05.2005, 03:57 AM
Pro
Pro

You will need to make it a whole lot slicker looking, but thats the last thing I would worry about. When you've got it sounding mint and functioning bug free, get a graphic designer to spend 15 minutes and make it look sick.
Old 07.05.2005, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Gary, ignore the graphics. Get your priorities in order.

How much of the coding/programming have you done so far regards the actual sound?

What experience/skills have you got?