Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 29.06.2005, 04:49 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default HELP!!! whats closer to TR-909, DRUMSTATION or MACHINEDRUM

well, i am just about to buy a Novation DRUMSTATION.

that will look real cool!!!!! in my studio.
(forget about composition!! strugglin)

I heard it not long ago-last weekend, and apparently it is very close to TR-909 which it is trying to imitate.

If I dont buy it because someone beats me to it, can the ELEKTRON MACHINEDRUM get that fat wall-burstin kick like the TR-909 apparently can do.

I have nevr heard the TR-909 live. (Anyone got some real cool mp3s of the TR-909)

i HAVE HEARD THE ELEKTRON MACHINEDRUM mp3's at their site, and it doesnt impress me that much anymore.
Is the MACHINEDRUM a tuff sounding drum module like the 909 or more so a drum module for subtle stuff.

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29.06.2005, 05:24 PM
Pro
Pro

The Machinedrum is more suited to 808 style I believe mainly because it's got quite a cold, clean sound whereas the 909 (and Drumstation) are warmer and sound fuller. It comes down to personal taste in the end but remember you can do way more on the Machinedrum than the 909 or Drumstation though.
Old 29.06.2005, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

The machinedrum isn't a TR-x0x! Bl?arfgh.

The machinedrum isn't just a machinedrum, you can make all sort of crazy sounds from FX, leads, bass and so on.

The novation drumstation (I had a Drumstation v 1) which sounds like 'rebirth' TR909/TR808, however the v 1 biggest fault is polyphony. I hated that it missed some of the drumsounds and stuff like that.

And comparing these two is like comparing toiletpaper to diapers. Which one do you prefer.

hoho.

And if you want hardkicks and is just after kicks get a Xbase (or whatever it's called again) but then again Machinedrum can make some serious kicks aswell even fatter than TR909.

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 29.06.2005, 06:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i hate the tr909 it sounds so round,its like the cheese of analog drum machines
tr808 now thats more like it,dark and massive sounding analog drums.

here is a question,why do you need a drum machine?
maybe if a reason is given a better selution can be offered...
Old 29.06.2005, 08:34 PM
Pro
Pro

Actually Technomonster if I were you I wouldn't get the Drumstation. If you've got money for a drumstation, stretch it a little bit more and you're in Jomox territory which are funkier and more powerful.

www.jomox.com
Old 29.06.2005, 08:53 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The Machinedrum is a brilliant, special drum machine that can sort of sound like a 808/909, but it isn't as close as the Novation clone, of course.

I suppose that was one of my irks since I love the 808/909 sounds but they are a bit difficult to coax from the machine.

Having said that though, the Machinedrum can make more drum sounds over a larger sonic palette than any of the mention so far. It's a wild crazy box that can do many a special thing.

The best way to understand what I'm saying is to listen to the demo mp3s and hear for yourself what its possible of:

http://www.machinedrum.com/mdsound.php

Keep in mind there are multiple pages, and one of the mp3s is the 12 minute long demosong from the machine.
Old 29.06.2005, 08:56 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
Actually Technomonster if I were you I wouldn't get the Drumstation. If you've got money for a drumstation, stretch it a little bit more and you're in Jomox territory which are funkier and more powerful.

www.jomox.com
The jomox material, while it doesn't have the same sonic variety as the Machinedrum, is analogue, and as such sounds powerful. The kicks and hats and such you can get from those drum machines is closer to what the OP is perhaps looking for. The kicks are deep and kidney shaking (which isn't to say that the machinedrum can't do that, its just different).
Old 29.06.2005, 09:03 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

After relistening to those mp3s, they don't capture how deep the MD's kicks can go. I was very surprised when I heard the MD in action for the first time live in front of me. Sounds much more... crisp and clear in action.
Old 01.07.2005, 03:48 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

i am just hopin that if i get the DRUMSTATION by Novation it can be big and nasty as anything else, infact can it be potentially the biggest.

i want to hurt the audience if i have to, if you know what i mean.