Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 19.02.2009, 08:35 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I was just looking at this beasty last night. How is it? The front panel looks really nice..

-Annikk
Old 19.02.2009, 08:10 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

So far, so good.

It really is a expressive as any "instrument" out there. It's easy to be totally connected to it when you're playing and the immediacy and spontaneity that comes from the Minimoog has been unparalleled.

The backlit panel in the "electric blue" is so cool to look at too. That should become standard on all keyboards with lots of knobs, as it makes it much easer to see on a darkened stage.

I feel like i was right back playing my Model D from the 70s and there was no learning curve. The sound is simply amazing and for what it does, it does it better than anything else out there. If that Moog sound is what you're after, you need a Moog.

I haven't had this much fun with a synth in years, although when I first got my Virus Ti, I felt very much the same way. It's just the Minimoog is a simpler beast to use than the Virus, (and also more limited in its application, by the virtue of it being monophonic, no effects, arps or other more advanced digital goodies).

Anyway, between the Virus and the Minimoog, it really sounds like the aliens have invaded my neighborhood.

More to come, I'm sure!!!
Keyboards: Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10.

Studio Gear: iMac G5, Protools 7.4, Logic 8, Reason 4, Live 7, Digidesign 002R, Digidesign C24 Control Surface, Mackie 824HR's, Dynaudio MB 6a's, Presonus Eureka, Universal Audio LA-610 Signature, Neumann TLM -103 (pair), Groove Tubes GT-66, et al
Old 20.02.2009, 11:54 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

What do you find it's best for?
I've always imagined that bass sounds would benefit the most from being true analog...

-Annikk
Old 20.02.2009, 04:35 PM
Complete Newbie

Annikk -

The bass sounds on the Minimoog are pretty much unmatched. I've done a little experiment using the Minimoog, the Arturia Minimoog V VSTi and the Virus Ti, on a typical three osc moog style bass (think Edgar Winter's Frankenstein). I wouldn't call the other two "thinner" sounding, because they're plenty FAT, but I would just say that the analog version has more "there" in there. Hard to describe, but easy to hear.

The real Minimoog hits it just right (as it should). Don't get me wrong, the Virus and the Minimoog VSTi do an amazing job, and by themselves (not in the same room with a true analog), not many listeners who aren't familiar with the analog version would likely know the difference. Hearing them side by side, it's pretty obvious where the pure analog contribution comes from.

Aside from the bass lines, I love it for both searing leads, as well as interval patches. Lastly, there's something really cool about the Moog S&H too.

I could NEVER replace the Virus TI with the Minimoog, as they're two different animals, and if I had to choose only ONE to use, I'd have to take the Virus (if for no other reason than it's polyphonic).

When on the other hand, Moog gets it together and comes out with an multivoice Polymoog replacement (at some outrageous cost, no doubt), then that might just be the one to beat.

Then again, for certain kinds of music and applications, the Virus is the one to beat, so it's great having choices, and even better having BOTH!

Your mileage may vary.
Keyboards: Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10.

Studio Gear: iMac G5, Protools 7.4, Logic 8, Reason 4, Live 7, Digidesign 002R, Digidesign C24 Control Surface, Mackie 824HR's, Dynaudio MB 6a's, Presonus Eureka, Universal Audio LA-610 Signature, Neumann TLM -103 (pair), Groove Tubes GT-66, et al
Old 22.02.2009, 08:42 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Can you get decent overdriven/saturated sounds out of it standalone? Any processing/effects that are pretty crucial to give it a good sound?

-Annikk
Old 24.02.2009, 01:18 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I have a TI and voyager also and think they are the perfect compliment.

Voyager is limited but soo expressive (and the way it goes from clear bell tones to bowl cleaning bass in the twist of a knob is a beautiful thing). I personally find them completely different beasts.

Hope you enjoy your new puchase

-Dan
Old 25.02.2009, 02:34 PM
Complete Newbie

Annikk -

Overdriven sound? Not really, although with the VX351 & 352 voltage expanders, you can "reprocess" sounds back through the Mini to even give it more "oomph", but a true overdrive, no.

Saturation is definitely possible with the oscs' and those filters. Thick, room filling, wall of sound possibilities exist with the mini.

With respects to effects, while a dry mini can be a beautiful thing, a little effect never hurt anything. The higher quality the better and I've heard some of the Moogerfooger effects with the Mini and they're pretty hot.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 25.02.2009, 02:52 PM
Am starting to like this forum

for some saturation
i do either headphone output into ext. in
or
right output into ext. in while using left output.
adjust to taste.
Old 12.03.2009, 09:55 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Are you sure that's not just the same dog, pictured twice with different hair styles?

-Annikk
Old 15.05.2009, 04:18 PM
Am starting to like this forum

hey guys, check out my side-by-side comparison between the Voyager and the Studio Electronics SE-1X.