Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 26.06.2007, 07:57 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

I'm with LivePsy, I have spent thousands on music gear, and none of it was to create the next big hit or to make me better, I just love sound. I have massive amounts of poly but most of the time I play just one or two sounds and jam away to myself, no computer norecording constraints just go with the flow, infact I have started recording now because it's easier with the TI but the songs I'm happier with are the ones that I record the each track as a freestyle, not a loop just the whole length of the song. Sunnypiano is just that me playing one of my favorite sounds and a favorite chord structure.

I will never be released/signed because that's not what I want, I use soundclick to get my recording kicked in to shape and I have managed a Number 28 not bad for in my opinion bad songs. As long as I know I can play the keys layer a couple of sounds and my eyes shut and fingers keep going then all the money/debt is worth it.

However I wouldn't mind releasing a hypersaw song with a bird dancing around topless, just for the fun of making the video and having something else to think about that would make me shut my eyes and keep my hands going
Old 26.06.2007, 08:27 AM
Veteran
Veteran

has nothing to do with my being hard, soft on myself or negative... and more to do with what is seen and understood, and sharing it here so that others can add to it, relate, see themselves (or not).
Old 26.06.2007, 09:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post
Don't hand out your music for opinions, its an opportunity for arseholes to feel better about themselves by putting you down. Any fool can call your music shite - in fact you can count on it.

sounds like you've been offended in the past?
Old 26.06.2007, 09:20 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopkris40 View Post
I'm with LivePsy, I have spent thousands on music gear, and none of it was to create the next big hit or to make me better, I just love sound. I have massive amounts of poly but most of the time I play just one or two sounds and jam away to myself, no computer norecording constraints just go with the flow, infact I have started recording now because it's easier with the TI but the songs I'm happier with are the ones that I record the each track as a freestyle, not a loop just the whole length of the song. Sunnypiano is just that me playing one of my favorite sounds and a favorite chord structure.

I will never be released/signed because that's not what I want, I use soundclick to get my recording kicked in to shape and I have managed a Number 28 not bad for in my opinion bad songs. As long as I know I can play the keys layer a couple of sounds and my eyes shut and fingers keep going then all the money/debt is worth it.

However I wouldn't mind releasing a hypersaw song with a bird dancing around topless, just for the fun of making the video and having something else to think about that would make me shut my eyes and keep my hands going
dude and happy father in the making... you can kiss your gear goodbye for at least the next two years if not more. well, thats been my experience recently anyway
Old 26.06.2007, 11:05 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvisibl View Post
sounds like you've been offended in the past?
Not really offended, and I didn't mean it as a grudge against the world. Its an observation of human nature (something best avoided IMO). You can put so much of yourself into something, and it takes no effort on the afore mentioned arsehole's part to put you down. The stupid thing here is that they actually thought I wanted their approval. Its only a put down if I was hoping they would like it. So I was rather amazed that co workers and friends would come out with tertiary education critiques like "where's the singer?", "I hate drum machines", "You should learn to play a real instrument". Or the ever popular condescending, "Don't you think the kick and bass are too loud, you should listen to some successful music". Yeah right.

Back to your wannabe post (which you are pretty much retreating from yourself now), trying to make music requires you to find something inside yourself. Relying on others to help you find it won't help. IMO they can set you on the path to failure if you let them. So I thought I would take a different point of view - don't let others hear your music. If it is really good enough, the world will find out about it

Cheers,
B
Old 26.06.2007, 11:58 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Whats kind of funny is how we (collectively) as producers seem to think the opinions of non producers dont matter.

I actually think its rather cool and feel kind of happy that loads of my non-producer friends have some of my few meagre noises on their mp3 players in their main playlists. Its also kind of funny going round to a mates house for a pissup/house party then half way through the evening, jumbled in with a whole load of well known stuff you suddenly recognise something of you own on and people are still dancing and not yelling "turn this shit off" or hitting the skip button - ok - so they probably so pissed they dont care - for those who dont know its something of mine I dont bother telling them - a mate might, but I dont.

Even better when it a local DJ you know whos playing it at a pub or party your at and several hundred people are still quite happily dancing away to it. Sometimes I cringe and think wtf you playing this for, sometimes its a real buzz to see people enjoying it - either way - I sure as hell cant get used to it.

I know the reality though - there a hell of a difference between people enjoying something that costs nothing and fit in with the modd and getting to folk out hard cash in HMV or via iTunes or whatever, so am under no illusions about trying to pedal my junk.

Oddly, with the few public sets/mixes etc that I have done recently - Ive never stuck my own stuff in them - maybe its just because I do it just for my own enjoyment and while happy to let them be heard, I never feel they are good enough - or imaginative enough to be worth forcing upon people.

And yes of course we all would probably welcome a A&R guy showing up on the doorstep one day with enough cash to tell my employers what a complete bunch of wankers they are - but I know that aint ever going to happen - same with most of us I guess...

As for my muse - its a very unpredictable one - I have my moments maybe, but most of the time its AWOL, so no illusions there either.

On collaboration - actually I would welcome it, but it would have to be someone of complimentary tastes, skills and personality. Very few of us are lucky enough to find a good long term production partner - and often those that do are so much the better for it - the sum does seem to be greater than the parts - people who dont colaborate actually become too set in their ways often, or dont stretch themselves enough - Im certainly guilty of that.
Old 27.06.2007, 03:52 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
Whats kind of funny is how we (collectively) as producers seem to think the opinions of non producers dont matter.
A "producer" does not necessarily have an informed or constructive opinion. Best to be unbiased and consider ALL opinions unimportant

Cheers,
B
Old 27.06.2007, 07:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivePsy View Post

Back to your wannabe post (which you are pretty much retreating from yourself now)
Retreating? no. Clarifying the initial intent? yes.
Old 27.06.2007, 07:57 AM
Veteran
Veteran

seems theres a lot of hangups about other people and their responses, wether they be good or bad. acceptance and or rejection playing part in motivation/ inspiration???

I reckon if you've been in the game a while then you know if yer stuff is good or not, or if something needs fixed etc... very rarely will someone point something out that you don't already know, or at least have an idea of.
Old 27.06.2007, 08:33 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

Yeah nvisibl, I start putting my gear in the loft last night, it brought a tear to my eye, but my TI and supernova with monitors and PC are now setup in a tight little cornoer, all piled up on the blank section of the ti, Can't play too hard or PC screen falls But actually a very good basic setup, I worry about keeping the TI as I may not get to use it much and it'll loose money, but since I've never sold gear I suppose I can cope.

As for others commenting on music, because my close mates have been around since the start they don't listen, but folk who I have met within the last few years all do, and I think there is nothing better than being up fishing a loch in Scotland and someone is whistling along to one of my tunes in the pitch dark because it's on the MP3 player. Also the other week I was at a party and a cd was put in, Personally I'm cringing thinking I should have changed this and that, but they liked it.

It's only fun for me and sure I'll get annoyed in future years When I finally get back to playing after changing nappies