Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 06.12.2004, 01:17 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
Well how about this one...my buddy use to do tests to see if ppl could hear the difference between analogue and digital with synths...and everyone who listened to it missed atleast half of the answers...but of course you could just brush it off saying that all those 50 ppl who took the test didnt know what they were talking about but you guys do..
Not everyone will be able to hear it, or pick it 10 times out of 10, but you can get pretty close if you know what to listen for...

Michael Stavrou (The Police, Paul McCartney, Cat Stevens, John Williams) did some tests too......and they were able to pick analogue Vs digital everytime.

So what were they listening for???

The sound of the fingers leaving the strings (on the left hand) after playing a note on guitar

That kind of intimate detail is not picked up in the digital domain....and this intamacy, shines through using analogue tape, even with all that hiss down there....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 06.12.2004, 01:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran

no it was an analoge desk...but the problem being here is at some point it has to go to a digital format because it was on the net...so are you going to say that because it at some point was then its no worth anything?

peace
BLank
Old 06.12.2004, 01:19 AM
Veteran
Veteran

yeah give me a recording so intamite that i can here someones hands moving in subtle motion and ill believe it...

peace
BLank
Old 06.12.2004, 01:20 AM

Quote:
how did i know you were going to say that...

ok so what you all are saying is that you have to have an analogue instrument with an analogue desks...analogue everything otherwise its shit!

peace
Blank
No that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that just because the difference isn't perceived after the recording, doesn't mean there isn't a difference.

You mentioned "preference" before. Well I prefer the sound of an Analogue EQ and compression over digital. I think the people who are fighting for the digital are usually the ones who haven't sat down with analogue gear. Either that, or they are making music which is purely clean and clinical electronica.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 06.12.2004, 01:22 AM

You dont need analoge everything... (Would be nice though!)

Digital is great.... I love it! It has afforded us flexibility, and unimaginable control..

But once I added that Studer front end, it took on a new sense and meaning

And also given me a superiority complex, and made me a snob! Cos I have heard good analogue....and now I dont wanna go back!

To be fair, I still havent heard the best converters yet.....

Not all digital is created equal either! There is good digital, and bad digital

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 06.12.2004, 01:24 AM

Hehehe.....Blank, HC, and Jasedee going toe 2 toe!!!

I've got work to do guys.....stop posting!!!!!

Old 06.12.2004, 01:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran

then why are you guys continually tryin to prove to me that its better...i couldnt care less...i made a comment that it was preference...and you are still tryin to prove that its better...and you still have not defined this texture jasedee...because i dont know how far you are going...its noise to me either way, if i record a drumset with a digital desk ill get the reverbaration on the release...but what are you talking about drumset on a digital desk, drumset on a analogue desk...tr606 on a digital desk or a tr606 on an analogue desk...each of those are different senarios

peace
Blank

EDIT Versus what?
Old 06.12.2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Digital is great.... I love it! It has afforded us flexibility, and unimaginable control..
Yep, I agree. I love digital too. Specially the price point for recording.

What it comes down to is that we are basicly making demos, that maybe in the future someone may want to re-record to a pro format. Chances are they will run our tracks through a shit load of gear to get a nice sound.

I'm happy having my digital recording studio for getting down my art, but I would never kid myself into thinking that it's better than a nice pro studio running good analogue outboard (like some people).
Old 06.12.2004, 01:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran

ok but at the same time i wouldnt kid myself into thinking that all pro studios will use analogue!! I am sure there are plenty of digital studios out there that are being used on recordings and no one is the wiser...I like to think if it this way...keep my mind open...i would like a professional sound engineer mix down my music in a professional sound studio...whether its digital or not is pointless...i just want it to sound good...and with that in mind...if you cant make a decent song you could use all the analogue gear in the world and still not make it...which is why i "prefer" to focus on making the music not mixing it down...as long as the levels are straight it works for me...and i know my shit doesnt sound pro...thats what pro studios do!!

peace
Blank
Old 06.12.2004, 01:38 AM

Quote:
ok but at the same time i wouldnt kid myself into thinking that all pro studios will use analogue!!
Na, only the good ones use analogue.