Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 24.11.2004, 06:36 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

I'm def. going to be working with Ableton Live 4 soon. It looks like it should be pretty easy to get down and dirty but i'm used to Sonar so i'm sure that it will take some time.
Old 24.11.2004, 11:11 PM
This forum member lives here

Cubase VST 5.

I'll make the switch to SX when I get myself a new computer.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 24.11.2004, 11:24 PM

HC is that SX version 3? Im not sure about the SX range......some have been saying it sounds colder than the 5.

I didnt know this...and maybe some of you could clarify this for me....but do softsequencers actually colour the sound....or is a figment of peoples imagination? Ive always wondered how a digital signal could be coloured. I guess through data loss or some kinda curruption?

Interesting....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 24.11.2004, 11:26 PM

Oh and another thing.....if you have a noisy computer and your using a soundcard that is housed in your pc...then you'll get noisy recordings right?

So if you use an external soundcard like a Delta 1010...then theoretically....it doesnt matter how noisy your pc is...because the audio is converted to digital outside of that noisy environment?

So why then do people spend $2000 on near silent pc's...when all you need is an external soundcard?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 25.11.2004, 01:25 AM
Pro
Pro

Default soft seq

DP 4.5, 2408 mk3
Old 25.11.2004, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
So why then do people spend $2000 on near silent pc's...when all you need is an external soundcard?
Maybe cos when you are recording an intimate singer/guitarist, and your mic gain is cranked, all you can hear is THE F*CKIN COMPUTER NOISE?

Just a thought

Quote:
HC is that SX version 3? Im not sure about the SX range......some have been saying it sounds colder than the 5.
HAHAHAHA.........VST is supposed to sound like shit by all the pro's...well, most people I have talked to think this. I agree....now though, SX2 is up to speed sound quality-wise, and now there is no difference between SX/PTLE/Logic.....

Oh yeah....as If you cant tell, I use SX 2

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 25.11.2004, 09:39 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

A lot of Cubase users here.

I use Digital Performer. I've tried nearly everything that can sequence a midi message, and for my time and money DP is it. For me it goes: DP, ProTools TDM, Logic/Cubase (tie), Live, Sonar (sonar would be much higher if they ported it to OS X), and then I kind of lump all the others into a tie for "progs that'd never get me through a project."

For two-track, I prefer DSO-Quattro over Peak (but once again, wish they would port SoundForge 7, I would almost buy a PC just to have it around).
Old 29.11.2004, 11:56 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Harkness
Quote:
After spending about a year using cracked copies of Cubase and Logic.....I then decided to buy Cubase 5 VST 32.
I like the honesty, I too had used a cracked copy of a few sequencers before I purchased Sonar 4.
I think most people at some point use cracked copies of software. I dont see a problem with it. Quite often cracked copies are unstable and you always get this kinda unsettling feeling that all the parameters are not working quite the way they should. I think cracked copies are better than the pissy 15 minute demos you get from official sites. At least with cracked stuff you can try and get your head around all the paremeters.

But ultimately....you always end up buying the version you like most.

DS

This is so true DS as I used cracked stuff for a while then settled on Cubase SL3 as I thought it was easy to get to grips with and didn't really have a choice after logic left us. Sonar is great but it's down to own personal pref I suppose.
Old 01.12.2004, 03:15 AM
Pro
Pro

Different sofware definately sounds different and its not about noise at all. All software has to use some form of algorythm to handle all that audio and different algorythms achieve different results. For example the latest version of Logic actually sounds alot different to the version before it. Cubase does have a somewhat cold sound to it, Acid has a warm mushy sound to it.

I hate cubase more the more I use it. I think I'm gonna try Sonar next. Don't really like logic, its not logical to me anyway even though its probably the best sounding sofware out there.

Can't get cubase sx 1 to work properly with midi. I try to do the same thing in Acid and it works straight away. But acid is an unstable piece of crap and it puts way too much strain on the pc. I can have 3 times the amount of tracks going in cubase and the pc is sweet as. Cubase is just a complete piece of crap to edit audio in.

Just having a rant anyway but its very true that different software sounds different. And remember, if it sounds better, it is better!!!
Old 01.12.2004, 03:28 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
I think I'm gonna try Sonar next.
Sonar 4 Producer Edition is quality! If you ever need a hand learning it in anyway let me know!