Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 08.12.2003, 08:03 AM

100 audio tracks with 5 effects on each track!!!

HOLY SHIT!!

Maybe it is time to upgrade after all, but then again, I'm not recording gospel music

http://blueswan.mymusic.dk
Old 08.12.2003, 09:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The mac OS runs fast with less speed. It really doesn't matter what the comparison is. PCs will always need more powa'. Macs rock, nothing beats them. They NEVER crash.
Old 09.12.2003, 12:07 AM
This forum member lives here

my music pc never crashes uden! but it doesnt have n e games, or n e interent, plus it doesnt even have a burner! plus ill run softsynths on a seperate machine to the machine i record audio on too! hehe

ill tell you what though, the thing definately couldnt run 100tracks with 5 effects on each! impressive!

how many seperate effects did you use? and did you use any compressors, limiters or any other demanding plugins?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 09.12.2003, 08:26 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Im the same as Hollowcell where my system doesnt crash. Ive used a little app called XPlite to strip the OS of all the crap thats not needed. Also i stop all the services thats not crucial for a DAW system.

http://www.absdigital.co.uk/dloads/XPdawTweaks.htm

I can get around 80-85 tracks audio with 5 effects on each channel but i need to tweak the buffer sizes from default within Nuendo 2. But hopefully when steinberg make nuendo/sx available to use hyperthreading they`ll be more powerfull. I hope.

The 5 effects were: Mod Delay , Double Delay, Reverb, Q filter, DaTube.

All of these were Inserts

Old 09.12.2003, 08:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to nrgy

100 audiotracks with 5 effects! 8O
if there only where a pc that could do same thing. Then I would never need to buy another production PC ever. maby Mac is the way to go, if you're serious about producing?
but it's so expensive

do you know if it's possible to use audiophile 2496 with that Mac?
and how is it about musicapps, do you need to buy new or does the same version of cubase sx, reason 2.5 and v-station work with Mac ?

and one more thing, have you tried running alot of hardprocessing vsti and vst effects(waves etc.) ?
Old 09.12.2003, 09:17 AM
Administrator

http://www.opnlabs.com/omx64.php

That's a good PC for recording. Hoho.
Old 09.12.2003, 09:21 AM
Amateur
Amateur

If you go over to mac then you`ll need to get new software unless the cds you have are hybrid images aswell PC/MAC. Also if you use alot of software then theres not as much available on mac format compared to pc.

The audiophile should be compatible with a mac, just check on m-audio website. I know the delta series can be used on either machine.

I wouldnt jump on the mac band wagon just yet. Wait for the 64-bit processors to hit the market properly. Alot of the fact is the OS that the machine runs. Windows Os`s seem to be really resource hungry where as Mac OS`s can run smoothly without eating up as much resources.

But its up to you to make the choice. PC or MAC
Old 09.12.2003, 09:32 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Thats a pretty good system. In fact the best system available yet.

I see its running Nuendo 2. (well i think so). Also the Dual 64-bit cpu`s is a nice touch.

Some uad-1`s and it`d be even better
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

Quote:
Macs rock, nothing beats them. They NEVER crash.
Ohh! They dont? OS X = Sucks big time.. And macs arent that great either nowadays - explain how a G4 800mhz (with 768mg ram) only could run Reason 2.0 with 1 Redrum Drummachine, 3 synthesizer (1 lead, 1 bass, 1 pad) + 2 effects (delay, reverb) + 1 mixertable (with no other applications running) + no games installed + no other apps installed and the G4 processor is running at 75-90% of its capacity? and got a framerate that seems like a 486 is trying to run a game like Quake 3. I even had a friend over that worked for Apple and he said "there is nothing wrong with your macintosh, this is how they work"

Next computer i'll buy is going to be an P4 3.0, or the new 64bits processor - i dont know yet, the P4 processor gives me enough power. On my brothers P4 2.4ghz + 512 ram Reason 2.5 runs with 3 Redrums, 20 Synthesizers (both Subtractor + Malstroem - and i might ad that my old G4 where really bad at running Malstroem since it took almost everybit of the processorpower) + 4 mixertables + _alot_ of effects - probably up around 30 and no problems whatsoever.

a good tweaked PC is the best and will be the best way if you wanna use software stuff. probably the best is having an hardware sequencer and so on

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
I wouldnt jump on the mac band wagon just yet. Wait for the 64-bit processors to hit the market properly. Alot of the fact is the OS that the machine runs. Windows Os`s seem to be really resource hungry where as Mac OS`s can run smoothly without eating up as much resources.
Yup. And on the other hand that Mac Panopticon has, is dual processor version so there's no point in comparing it with single processor PC's.