Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 27.05.2007, 04:03 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Minimoog voyager

Anyone own one ??? what do you think ????????????
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 27.05.2007, 06:05 PM
Pro
Pro

I don't own a minimoog but I played one at a local music store. It is a nice looking and sounding synth but I wouldn't pay 3k for it if you don't already own all other synths and gear which you need for producing.

I have also been thinking about how the moog sound would fit in a trance/dance mix. Would it sound like old synth pop or something? Would it sound like "hey, he used a moog in that track"? I hate the sounds which the moog is mostly used for.

I have heard that the little phatty has a more raw sound than minimoog so I guess it could fit better in a mix. That's why I already was very close to get one but canceled the order because the delivery time was too long. Anyway, I will order one some day. If I could spend 3k for an analog mono synth, I would rather order a Studio Electronics synth module or something else.
Old 29.05.2007, 08:53 PM

I have one and I love it! My good friend and partner in making music has an original model D and they sound almost identical....The original does not always stay in exact tune so you sort of have an extra detuning type sound to it which makes a subtle difference. I can say I do not use mine to make the typicle Moog sounds, becuase the Voyager has massive storage (at least with version 3.0) I can save all my tweaked out creations which is a god send. It is pricy for a mono but True Analog yet new and stable with memory storage, Midi, X,Y,Z control pad...the list goes on. I also have a A6, and a DSI Poly Evolver (I am going to add a rack Poly or evolver to add at least one additional voice if not 4) so I am not one to back down to dumping $$$ on a synth if it is what I want and or need to get the sounds/Performance that I am looking for. F5D is right though if it is typical Moog sounds you are after the Studio Electronics module will work well for the moog sounds and the Little Phatty will sit in the mix better than the Voyager but the functions you lose on the LP are not something to look past with out verifying you will not need them. The voyager is not just a Minimoog it is also it's own synth and what can be done on it shows. I can highly recomend it if you have the $$ and are looking at one for your musical needs.

Why did my user status revert back to Newbie...? Strange..I have been around quite sometime I just do not get as much time to post as others....
Old 30.05.2007, 06:49 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by waketek View Post
Why did my user status revert back to Newbie...? Strange..I have been around quite sometime I just do not get as much time to post as others....
Take it like a man.... Newb!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 31.05.2007, 05:26 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waketek View Post
I have one and I love it! My good friend and partner in making music has an original model D and they sound almost identical....The original does not always stay in exact tune so you sort of have an extra detuning type sound to it which makes a subtle difference. I can say I do not use mine to make the typicle Moog sounds, becuase the Voyager has massive storage (at least with version 3.0) I can save all my tweaked out creations which is a god send. It is pricy for a mono but True Analog yet new and stable with memory storage, Midi, X,Y,Z control pad...the list goes on. I also have a A6, and a DSI Poly Evolver (I am going to add a rack Poly or evolver to add at least one additional voice if not 4) so I am not one to back down to dumping $$$ on a synth if it is what I want and or need to get the sounds/Performance that I am looking for. F5D is right though if it is typical Moog sounds you are after the Studio Electronics module will work well for the moog sounds and the Little Phatty will sit in the mix better than the Voyager but the functions you lose on the LP are not something to look past with out verifying you will not need them. The voyager is not just a Minimoog it is also it's own synth and what can be done on it shows. I can highly recomend it if you have the $$ and are looking at one for your musical needs.

I am Loving my MiniMoog VSTi like hell at the moment,so much so i wanna go one step further..I want it mainly for Electro House Bass sounds So Little Phatty or voyager?
i nearly went for a Minimoog D 1970 on Ebay the other day but it went for 2000 Euros so i left it... ( alot of money for an Antique)
With Which Sequencer are you using your voyager??
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 31.05.2007, 06:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
I have heard that the little phatty has a more raw sound than minimoog so I guess it could fit better in a mix. That's why I already was very close to get one but canceled the order because the delivery time was too long.
It definately has the moog character, but to me it also sounding much more modern, maybe a harder cleaner edge to edge? Hard to describe meaningfully.

Nick - as an electro bass synth - yeh definately. I wouldnt dump a load of loot for a voyager tho - too much of what I do needs some poly. LP on the other hand - maybe.

I actually use a Novation KS-Rack alot for bass sounds - if you have a chance - go play with one cos they can be had really cheap, though very hard to still find them new - probably loads coming up on ebay for next to nothing. There are also keyboard vesions - KS4 and KS5.

Only one filter, standard 12/24, LP/BP/HP but a very nice filter character. No substitute for a moog, but as far as digital synths go - there is definately something about it that puts me more in mind of an older analog - especially with its filter overdrive/q-normalise functions which allow for some very nice like tonal shaping through the filter that would be good for electro noises.
Old 01.06.2007, 04:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Cant beat true analog synths for proper bass and electro sounds. Those Arturia emulations and even the mini-monster sound complete shite in comparision.

Look at the Studio Electronics range of analog synths as they have the Moog LP filter and a very cool SEM lp/hp/bp/br filter.

Just picked up an 8 voice CODE(Omega) myself which sounds amazing. Also look at the SE1X for 3osc evil moog sounding bass's....lovely

tom
Old 02.06.2007, 04:11 AM

I use several sequencers for different reasons that I will not get into now but Logic, Pro Tools, and Acid 6.0... I record a lot of Audio straight up live turn stuff into loops and layers ect. I may work a little different than others but it is what works for me and the others I collaborate with. As for Electro House Bass lines, You could easily use the LP for this or even the SE...The voyager rackmount is not a bad option if you want the whole ten yards but want to save a little and use some other keys. Dpending on your definition of Electro Bass sound you may want to check out a Mono Evolver by DSI as well it can make some fantastic bass. Tough decisions I know it was hard dropping $$$ for a Mono synth these days but it is a Moog and for what the vintage ones are going for and the Maint and tuning involved with keeping them in tip top shape I went for new in 20 to 30 years time it will hold a steady value if you do ever decide to sell it.
Old 02.06.2007, 04:50 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Thats actually a very good point mentioning the DSI evolver - huge advatage with that thing - there is a very cheap desktop version of it around - plug it into your Remote SL.

This maybe a really odd thing to say, but my problem with the moog synth is its character - its not that its character is bad, its just so strong and I guess its got to the point of irratating.

I should think the evolver would make an excellent little electro bass synth.
If you were to go for the MEK (Mono keyboard), then there is the option of later buying a poly rack for it and turning into a 5 voice poly synth.
Old 02.06.2007, 06:59 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I had a play with a poly evolver before I bought my andromeda a6. The keyboard was great and it has some awesome features, the sound though was not so impressive. Its hard to explain but It sounded a bit digital to me, not the usual analogish feel at all and the curtis filters just didnt do a thing for me. Much prefer moog/sem/cs80 filters.

Worth playing with one to see if you like it tho, it still spanks VA sound

tom