Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 17.08.2009, 09:43 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Sub Bass Sinewave Phasing Issue

Hi Guys,

I want to create a clean deep sub which usually can be obtained by using the init preset, choose one single sinewave in a low octave. However when I hold the note down the sounds rises and falls and rises again. I first checked the LFO's, but that was not active. Then I double checked to see if I was really using one oscilator. this was the case. What is possible the problem???
I just sold my virus C, and I'l almost regretting this. I got mean subs by using the same method.

Im using the virus USB outs and have a EMU1820M soundcard.
The sound aind really sound deep n low either.
Old 17.08.2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_justice View Post
Then I double checked to see if I was really using one oscilator.
You've made sure you've turned Osc Bal completely anti-clockwise?

The INIT patch has both oscillators (1 and 2) active by default, and oscillator 2 is also slightly detuned by default, which gives phasing.

Just turn Osc Bal counter clockwise so you can hear only Osc 1.

Quote:
I just sold my virus C, and I'l almost regretting this. I got mean subs by using the same method.
Don't worry, it's only a setting that is different!

You may also be confusing the former patch called "START", with "Init". The START patch is everything zero'd. Whereas the Init patch is the same but with Osc 1 & 2 active, and with fine-detune.
Old 17.08.2009, 01:04 PM
New here

I'm afraid that i already have the osc 1-2 balance all the way to the lef, but i will try this on a clean project 2nite..

How do you load the start patch?
Old 17.08.2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_justice View Post
How do you load the start patch?
It's probably different to mine, then. On my Indigo there's a patch called START next to the Init patch.

So, you've selected the Init patch, turned Osc Ball to Osc1, made sure Osc1 is in "classic" oscillator mode (as opposed to hypersaw, etc.), changed the Osc1 waveform to Sine, and transposed the patch down a few octaves... Is that all you did?

There's no unison, or Osc3, or similar? I know you've checked LFOs.

Have you maxxed the amp sustain and selected zero sustain rise/fall time to rule out the amp envelope?

If you could post your Init patch up here, someone will be able to take a closer look at it for you. (Not sure if my Indigo will be able to load it, but I can try).
Old 17.08.2009, 06:30 PM
New here

well im very confused m8. cant find any source that should be causing the fase problems. Its not just with the sinewave, it's also with pilse and saw, but i never noticed since i always program with unison and hypersaw.
the rise and fall of the volume do vary depending on what note i hit, dont know if that should give a hint. 2 morrow i wil use the TI as a soundcard, see if that makes a diffrence, and i will also use the analog outs.
untill than i'll have a sleepless nite...
Old 17.08.2009, 11:19 PM
Veteran
Veteran

obviously check for phaser off and chorus off
Old 18.08.2009, 07:50 AM
New here

Already checked that.
Old 18.08.2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Jim, any chance you could post up the patch so we can perhaps have a gander?
Old 18.08.2009, 01:09 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Just an idea, but maybe you're hearing the Virus via USB outputs and analog outputs at the same time? This will most likely result in phasing.
Old 18.08.2009, 06:20 PM
New here

I found out this nex thing. on the virus device (not anywhere to be seen in the TI control) there is a Mono Button button next to the sync button.
only in mono mode i seem to be getting a single wave because the phasing problem dissapears. but in mono mode obviously i cant hit a chord.
Wont u guys check it out if u xperience this same phasing issue in the standard init mode? cant imagine that this is the way acces desinged it.