Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 07.10.2004, 02:43 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Production Project III [Finished-MASTER]

Hello all,

I have just done a 'rough mix' of a song that I recorded as part of my Production Project for school, and was hoping to get some feedback from you all.

LadyPeroxide-Mandy

The band recorded were called "Lady Peroxide" and are JMC students too.

The song was recorded using a Digi 001 (2 x Preamps), Behringer ADA8000 preamps (into the Digi 001 via ADAT)

Neumann, shure, sennheiser mics were used.....All FX added via VST Plug-ins, mixed entirely within Cubase SX, poorly mastered by me using Spark XL

Any feedback on mixing/processing will be greatly appreciated!!! please be honest, I wont cry.....

Cheers,

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 07.10.2004, 09:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i think it sounds excelent.
recording is good
mixing is good all tho i would have prosses the snare drum with some reverb and then squash it.
but thats just my personal taste
i like to mess around with drums.
vocal sounds good
guitars sounds good.

nothing accualy bad to say about it and theres no reason why there should be any
nice work...
Old 07.10.2004, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Tomer, the man of wooden ears. Hoho.

Guitars lack balls. It's like Type-O-Negative sound with even less balls. The guitars are also too much on the background. Drums are too loud. Everything seems to lack presence. Background vocals would be better when panned to the far sides to get it sound wider (same goes for guitars).

What I would change:

1. More balls on the guitars. Seems like there's some kind of weird chorus on the guitars.
2. Double the guitars (or quadruple, we need a guitar wall, not a puny whine on the background) and pan the doublings on opposite channels to get it sound wide.
3. Background vocals need extreme panning (more wideness). Also there were weird timing problems on the background vocals.
4. More vocal doublings especially on the chorus to get a clear verse-chorus division (even more wideness).
5. Drums are too loud.
6. Probably some room verb would help to get some presence on the mix. Now it sounds not-so-good.
7. Add a distortion to bass channel send. A light crunch on the distortion and mix the distorted bass channel just barely audible. That way the bass stays as bass but gains clearance. You hear better what the bassist plays.
Old 08.10.2004, 07:30 AM

you listened to this on a crapy hi fi?
because i did so...
thats the comment i can give on thos.
listening on a higher volume then yesturday the drums do sound too loud.
Old 08.10.2004, 08:29 AM

I definately agree with the drums.....I was experimenting with some sounds I heard from the "Queens of the Stoneage" album, where it is mainly kick/snare and VERY dry.....but maybe doesnt suit the song.

Guitars: A source of frustration for me, as I dont think we tracked a 'nice' guitar sound. There are 2 different tones here, one is darker, and panned mainly in the left channel, the other is 'brighter' and panned mostly in the right channel. Also, after doing some "comparison" listening to other songs of similar style, I have to agree with the guitars being too low in the mix. This is guitar music, and they are not present enough.

Bass: I agree, needs a bit of distortion to fill in those low's, where the distorted guitars dont reach.

Vocals: I actually cut out some of the vocal doubling/harmonies during the verse's....maybe I need to cut out more, and then bring them in hard during the chorus. I will experiment with panning.....

Cheers for the feedback, especially Juho, for NOT holding back! This is what I need, constructive (Harsh) criticism.....

Thanks again!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 08.10.2004, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
I did listen with crappy headphones. Does that apply?

Quote:
because i did so...
The problems on the mixing & mastering are clearly audible even on a poor system. It just isn't on balance at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
I was experimenting with some sounds I heard from the "Queens of the Stoneage" album, where it is mainly kick/snare and VERY dry.....but maybe doesnt suit the song.
Actually QotS came up to my mind when listening to this. On QotS the guitar sounds are rougher than on other records. It's weird heavy distortion still maintaining the timbre of the guitar. Pretty good production job on that record.
Old 08.10.2004, 12:37 PM

[quote="Juho L"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
I did listen with crappy headphones. Does that apply?

Quote:
because i did so...
ho yes it does
Old 11.10.2004, 12:05 PM

OK

I have taken note of some suggestions and made some changes....

If you have the time or inclination, please take a listen and feel free to bombard me with more criticisms......

One thing, I think maybe the guitars are too loud now? And maybe the drums need to come up during the parts where the guitars cut in (during the verse)

Please restrict all comments to the 'MIX' ie panning/balance/ use of FX and dynamics processing, levels etc.

The recording process has finished so I cant change things like 'type of distortion used' etc

Thanks!!!!!

Jase

P.S I have applied Multi-band compression to entire mix.

Old 11.10.2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
One thing, I think maybe the guitars are too loud now? And maybe the drums need to come up during the parts where the guitars cut in (during the verse)
Much better now. Now it seems that the drums lost some punch. You should try out something innovatinve on the drums. You could try that distortion on send channel(tm) trick on the kick & snare + set the overhead a bit louder. It could bring some roughness on the track. I'm not sure did you added the distortion to the bass, but if you did just a little bit more wouldn't hurt. A gritty soundscape fits well on this track and a growling dostprted bass fits fine with this. By the way why the bass sounds like it's a sub bass?

Solo guitar a bit louder. Vocals sound pretty good now althought they could be a bit wider on the chorus.
Old 12.10.2004, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Much better now. Now it seems that the drums lost some punch.
Cheers! Yeah I know, the drums get a little lost now.....I will experiment
Quote:
I'm not sure did you added the distortion to the bass, but if you did just a little bit more wouldn't hurt.By the way why the bass sounds like it's a sub bass?
Yeah, I did run the bass track through my bass POD on a real dirty fuzz distortion preset, I will bring it up a little. I agree with the 'sub' comment, the bass need more form, more character......
Quote:
Solo guitar a bit louder. Vocals sound pretty good now althought they could be a bit wider on the chorus.
Im actually thinking of starting from scratch.....I think I can do better if I take my time and 'listen' carefully. I think this mix is too rushed. I had to compromise, as with the processing I want to do, I had to mix the song in sections, and then bounce each section to stereo, then move onto the next section, and I think I created more problems by trying to conserve my CPU power cos I was running too many plug-ins.

Oh, I wish I had some UAD-1 or Powercore action!

Cheers for the feedback!