Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

View Poll Results: Got a Virus synth?
I have. Wouldn't sell it. 17 68.00%
I have. Wanna sell it. 2 8.00%
I had one. Sold it. 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.01.2006, 08:31 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Virus poll

There was also the option to vote:

I haven't got one, but I want one

but it didn't show up..

I had a "C" but got rid after just 2 or 3 months.
Old 06.01.2006, 09:28 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I have one and wouldn't sell it for the following reasons.

It's German.

I love the action of the keys.

The synth sounds great and is very versatile.

Although I can't design sounds worth snot (yet) it will be fun to learn once I have some time.

I never sell gear unless its utter shite; I am a gear hoarder.

I just bought a Motif ES Rack and am nuts over it.

Is it better than the Virus? Nope, apples and oranges comparison there, it is a great compliment to my Virus.

Will I buy a Nord Lead or an Ion or another hardward VA?

Nope.

I might not buy another hardware synth.

Whatever sounds I can't get out of the Motif ES/Virus combo I will look for in a soft synth or soft sampler.

There's my long-winded (as usual) post.

-Alex
Old 06.01.2006, 11:02 AM

I had a Virus KC for 12-14 months and eventually had to sell it (I litrally had no money to live on at univeristy). The fact Id already got through 4 KC's by that point made my decision all the more easy. Despite all my ramblings (from time to time) about the Virus and VA's in general....I will buy another at some point because I enjoy sound designing.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 06.01.2006, 01:11 PM

I have a VC and I've thought about selling it many a time.
I use it mainly as a synced filter box these days (although it does do some pretty great sounds too), but I just think I paid too much for the thing.

The money I'd get for it now though it's not worth getting rid of. I'd never spend that sort of cash on another VA again though, that's for sure.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 06.01.2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I bought my Indigo off ebay for 400 quid and had several years use out of it now and consider it to be my best buy. Would've hated to have paid the RRP price of ?1200 when it was current, though. I learnt my lesson after buying an MC505 new at ?700 in 1999. The Korg Trinity I bought for ?1400 in 1998, new too, but I still love that and it's taught me a lot so I still think that was an OK deal for its time.
I would have bought the Indigo when it was new, but Turnkey wouldn't budge from the ?1200 RRP, so I ditched it (as I couldn't pay that much at the time). They lost out.

But synths depreciate so fast in value. Now, I reckon it's always best to get stuff second hand. You could grab a mint, fully loaded Trinity for ?500 or less, which is peanuts compared to its original RRP. There are always good bargains in the 2nd hand market now, loads of good synths less than 10yrs old. Second hand values of synths initially plummets (like a car from a new showroom) but after several years they reach a certain level where they hold their 2nd hand prices well thereafter. I think I could probably sell my Indigo on again without a loss.

But something like the TI is always tempting. However, I still don't reckon Access have drastically added enough to it yet for people to ditch their Bs and Cs. I think they would do well to re-juvenate the fascia and add more controllers (ribbon, joystick, etc.), and making the synth engine more modular. Aside from the Integration aspect (which doesn't affect the synth engine and the sound of the Virus itself), the designers seem stuck in a rut, a little.
Old 07.01.2006, 11:46 AM
Pro
Pro

Interesting. I wouldn't buy another hardware VA again either. I would defo make room for a real analogue synth though.

Btw.. I thought the manual of the Virus was like every manual I've ever had from a German product. Wank.
Old 07.01.2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Matsa wrote:
Btw.. I thought the manual of the Virus was like every manual I've ever had from a German product. Wank.
Yup. It's basically a nazi elitist snotbag's Cliff notes designed for someone who has 10+ years experience with MIDI and subtractive synthesis. I hate it and I have to look at it for an hour or two today.

The Germans are great engineers, they just can't write a user manual to save their life.

I think it's a limitation of the language, it just sounds awful. When I hear songs with German lyrics I cringe.

I'm half German so I can say that!
Old 07.01.2006, 11:14 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I have 2 and want to sell one and love them both, virus b and virus TI. Guess what one I want to sell.
Old 08.01.2006, 12:27 AM

TI?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 09.01.2006, 02:35 AM

I have a Virus Rack XL (C Series), and dont really wanna sell it, but I do wish I had bought the C Desktop, or KC, cos it sux not having access to all the knobs. If I can pick up a KC or Desktop, and can definately sell the RackXL, I would.

But I would never be without a Virus in my setup. Too damn cool...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60