Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.04.2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
It was two stereo to begin with but then marc bumped this up to three depending on samplerate/bitrate I think. Even though it would of been nice to have all 16 over usb2 or firewire. Three is a bit wanky considering you have a 16 multimb synth.

ten
You know......Access is no synth light weight in the industry....im very suprised that they were unable to get a good deal on USB 2 (at the very least)....considering they sell synths in relatively large numbers.

This does add a little bit to my concerns... Undoubtedly the TI-2 will have an upgraded spec. I really do hope that the USB1 is not some kinda built in design limitation just so they can market the TI-2 as being more powerful. Because.....as much as I like Access and their synths....I would just find it so unacceptable that I'd probably never buy again.
I concur. Earlier I said that, if the TI had Firewire or USB2, it would have ensured it to become a future classic.

....Otherwise if the TI-2 has the additional bandwidth, second hand prices of the original TI may not be good for the seller (seeing as, in two years time, making music solely with computers will be even more prevalent than it is now, and hardware keyboards will perhaps have a more tough time being sold second hand - especially with more inferior integration than they could easily have otherwise have had. This could have been Access' last chance to make a storming hardware synthesiser, who knows?).

For example: How many (even brand new) standalone USB v1 soundcards sell well today? Which follows that, how many USB v1 soundcards will sell well in two years time?.....

The TI is a great synth, otherwise. Kicks ass. The only other shortfall, in my mind, which I would've loved it to have had is a ribbon or XY-pad controller for different modulation effects other than just linear knob twisting.

You know, I really honestly can't believe that Access haven't taken the opportunity to improve in this aspect with each incarnation of the Virus, right from the Virus A. It's an expressive synth, but there aren't many expressive "real-time" controls to take advantage over it, and it just hasn't been improved in this area. At all.

...Imagine controlling the wavetables with a ribbon controller by stabbing at it in different places with your finger (as opposed to smooth knob-transitions), or modulating this to another parameter like filter cut-off for gated/stuttered effects. If it had pressure sensitivity you could modulate filter cut-off in the X plane (left to right), and resonance in the Z (pressure) plane. Heaps of potential expression, all with using one finger.
Old 24.04.2005, 06:54 PM

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 25.04.2005, 02:14 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

I know this has been done a million times over but here is a message I just recieved from sweetwater.com:

I got this message from my purchasing agent last week and figured you
would want to see it:

Virus TI ETA has been pushed out based on the below message:

04/20/05 From Geoff Farr @ GSF Agency "I met w/Access in Frankfurt
during the trade show. Since they have missed a couple of ship dates they
were reluctant to give an ETA, but out of my meeting w/them it is my
opinion that the TI's hopefully will ship in 4 to 6 weeks." jag

I tell you what if I come back from Hawaii, May 26th, and that puppy is not here I am more than likely going to cancel and get a bunch of shit off of e-bay.
Old 25.04.2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
??

(PS > Of course, if it has customisable/importable wavetables I'd forego the shortcomings, hehe. )
Old 26.04.2005, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Harkness
I tell you what if I come back from Hawaii, May 26th, and that puppy is not here I am more than likely going to cancel and get a bunch of shit off of e-bay.
may as well cancel now and start your buying spree nigel

access are reluctant to give promises on shipping dates that they know they will only break....

if this info in regard to a possible total OS rewrite has any validity then I think there is a chance we will be waiting for at least another 3 months

cheers

blay
Old 26.04.2005, 12:08 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Harkness Send a message via MSN to Nigel Harkness Send a message via Yahoo to Nigel Harkness

They are totally rewriting the whole OS?
Old 26.04.2005, 01:39 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

http://www.thomann.de/iw_smb_suche.h...HBEGRIFF=virus

the wait is fuckin' too long, it's unbearable.
check musikthomann.
i guess we will get the gear earlier in europ? than in the US.
Old 26.04.2005, 03:40 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I called Thomann and they just forgot to change their information about the shipping date.
So everything?s back to "never"...

MarcTale
Old 26.04.2005, 03:45 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
Old 27.04.2005, 04:30 AM

expect the worst and anything else you get is a bonus...

there is no way you will see access admitting to a full OS rewrite.

cheers

blay