Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 09.03.2005, 08:41 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default classic or 2nd hand C?

Thought I'd tap into all the wisdom here. Which is better in your opinions, a classic virus, or 2nd hand C? They are roughly the same price to buy on e-bay. (the C is a little more). Just wondering If I'll regret the classic as it has a few less options.. Plus Virus seem to be changing the product line to phase out the older syths a,b,c etc. Hmmm. Musically I tend to go through waves, glitch hop, dub, deep house, progressive trance. I expect the new machine to be a staple of my home studio...
Old 09.03.2005, 09:18 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

It depends on if you wan?t the extra features of the C. Both are great synths and either way you will get the Virus sound. The Classic is actually "just" a B in a new wrapping. Check: http://www.accessmusic.de/comparisonchart.php4 for the differences. Anyway, a second hand C (in good condition) is still better than a Classic due to the extra features and the more polyphony...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 09.03.2005, 11:45 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Yeah the C has a little more polyphony, which I think I can get around. Its easy enough to layer up sounds from it on a sequencer program for example. Not quite as elegant but it'll work.

Apart from that the only major difference is the number of Mod Matrixes, which to be honest I have no idea about. How important are they anyway? I know more is best but what would the C enable me to do with the extra 3 sources?
Old 09.03.2005, 01:55 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by c mode
I know more is best but what would the C enable me to do with the extra 3 sources?
Just about anything You can route just about any parameter to any source for interesting and wild things. Make one parameterchange control another etc. Only the imagenation limits you. Some sounds from the C won?t sound the same on a B because of this. Anyway you will get EQ?s on every channel, Moog-filter and more polyphony is alway good. Actually i tend to use less unison than i really like to because i don?t want to run out of voices and that?s on my C I actually thought the same question to myself when i wanted to buy a Virus and i don?t regret that i ended with a C. If you wait some months the C might fall in price when the TI comes out. But if you can live with a Classic then this is also a great synth. The C just adds more flexibility...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 09.03.2005, 07:37 PM
Pro
Pro

The moog filters are really really nice as well, if the price is similar i'd take the c.

There is always a risk with second hand gear, but it seems to be most people's opinion that virus' are pretty hardy, so you shouldn't have any problems there.
Old 09.03.2005, 08:10 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hamstar

I would definately go for the c if I were you. I bought a virus indigo a few months back and the virus cs were only just a little more expensive. If I could go back I would have saved just a little more for the virus c because it does sound alot better than the b.
Old 10.03.2005, 01:05 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Ok, good info all around. Definitley the C takes the cake by all accounts.

I've decided to buy a classic tho..(shock! Horror!).

I'm living in Tokyo at the moment and prices here range from 180,000yen-206,000 for a new classic. I made a deal with an online music shop...hehe. They had advertised cheap N.A.M.M demos but had sold out..they offered a new boxed one for the discounted price. This works out to be 97,000yen including shipping. So I've saved half the price. I figure I can get a taste of the virus sound, sell it second hand here in Japan and still make a profit..maybe then I can get a C.

I'm just unsure about any hidden trade tarrifs or taxes. I'm guessing I'll have to pay something as Japan must really protect their electronics industries to the hilt. Otherwise this place would be filled with cheap chinese knockoffs. On that note there may even be a day when the Virus is copied.... well ok maybe not for a long time but thats an interesting idea.

Anyway if anyone knows about the Import fees etc let me know.

Thanx all.
Old 11.03.2005, 06:56 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by c mode
Ok, good info all around. Definitley the C takes the cake by all accounts.

I've decided to buy a classic tho..(shock! Horror!).

I'm living in Tokyo at the moment and prices here range from 180,000yen-206,000 for a new classic.

Anyway if anyone knows about the Import fees etc let me know.

Thanx all.
First off - too expensive for the classic in Japan. I bought my C new for 240,000 when it was top of the Access range about a year ago. You can get Cs for much cheaper than that now. Much, much cheaper!

As far as import laws go for Japan. I was told that musical instruments evade the importation taxes (even electronic instruments).

One thing though, you being in Tokyo specially, I would forget about new stuff all together. The second hand market is bloody excellent in Japan - I wish I didn't buy the VC when I did now. For the same money I could have bought things I would have never gotten at home! Hind-sight is always clearer though.

EDIT: Tell you what, if you would pay 200,000 for a second hand C (never gigged, smoke free studio use only), let me know.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 11.03.2005, 03:21 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Well basically you are right. Second hand gear here is fairly cheap and generally excellent quality. Theres some great stuff in Akihabara as I'm sure you know.

The Classic prices I quoted were for new ones from shops in shibuya. Ishibashi and Rock on actually. They throw on a hefty profit for sure. Still I can make a buck or two myself I think.

I saw an sh101 second hand at Ishibashi for 30 000yen. Seemed an ok price for such and old (but still handy) synth. Don't have the table top space tho..

Anyway let me put your offer on hold till I get the classic. I'll see what its all about, then if I outgrow it I'll hit You up for the C. I'm guessing you'd like to upgrade to a Ti?

Do you know the japanese list price btw?

Cheers!
Old 11.03.2005, 04:08 PM

HC...if u hadnt of bought the VC...what would you have bought? Im guessing a Jupiter 6 for starters. THey are cheep in ur neck of the woods. Japanese analogs go for alot more over here in the West. Just as the american poly's (sequential, oberheim etc)....go for alot in asia.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....