Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 10.11.2003, 03:40 AM
This forum member lives here

for the type of music u wanna make, u could always have a multi setup (as juho said), with each sound running a different appegiator for the drums...this way u will just need one note on each midi channel to trigger the beats off....

there are really many ways of getting drums down...and im sure most people do it differently.

experiment and find the way that suits u the best is my advice. have fun
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 10.11.2003, 04:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
There's no reason you can't get excellent results with the Indigo, sound-wise. Pragmatically, it will be easiest to get the best results using it in conjunction with some kind of sequencer; but you can certainly coax plenty of nice analog drum and percussive sounds out of the Indigo.
So, tell me how you do it! =)
You want to know about the sounds? or sequencer?
Old 10.11.2003, 02:39 PM
Pro
Pro

I'm having a nightmare getting drums sorted out to go with my Virus C. The sample CD I got for ?69 "Ueberschall Techno Essentials" is not really that crisp and you can get similar standard samples free on the net. Then I got NI Battery to play drum samples in Cubase, but it turns out my version of Cubase won't work with it and if I want it to, I will have to upgrade to Cubase SX and if I want to do that, I'll need Windows XP.......... It's swings and roundabouts at the moment.

If you find some decent, pro sounding drums then let me know (Please!!!)
Old 10.11.2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
I'm having a nightmare getting drums sorted out to go with my Virus C. The sample CD I got for ?69 "Ueberschall Techno Essentials" is not really that crisp and you can get similar standard samples free on the net. Then I got NI Battery to play drum samples in Cubase, but it turns out my version of Cubase won't work with it and if I want it to, I will have to upgrade to Cubase SX and if I want to do that, I'll need Windows XP.......... It's swings and roundabouts at the moment.

If you find some decent, pro sounding drums then let me know (Please!!!)
As you said, there's a lot of good samples and loops to find on the net. Well, why don't you try to make your own loops instead? I'll go for it, because I want every part of my music to be something I created. Ok, maybe not the instrumental sounds... but at least the composition.
Old 10.11.2003, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udenjoe
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
There's no reason you can't get excellent results with the Indigo, sound-wise. Pragmatically, it will be easiest to get the best results using it in conjunction with some kind of sequencer; but you can certainly coax plenty of nice analog drum and percussive sounds out of the Indigo.
So, tell me how you do it! =)
You want to know about the sounds? or sequencer?
Well, I just want to know how you loop sounds in for example cubase. I've never done that before... Instead I've been using others' loops, but I think it's time for me to learn how to do it. Btw, what kind of music are you doing?
Old 10.11.2003, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
for the type of music u wanna make, u could always have a multi setup (as juho said), with each sound running a different appegiator for the drums...this way u will just need one note on each midi channel to trigger the beats off....

there are really many ways of getting drums down...and im sure most people do it differently.

experiment and find the way that suits u the best is my advice. have fun
You're talking about the synthesizer and not about the sequencer? Just wanna make sure that I understand you. Well... I'm trying to find out how my indigo II works, especielly in multi-mode. The manual could be better . I miss the tips, but that's why I'm here to get some back-up and you seem to know what you're talking about.
Old 10.11.2003, 08:51 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Well, why don't you try to make your own loops instead? I'll go for it, because I want every part of my music to be something I created. Ok, maybe not the instrumental sounds... but at least the composition.
I never use ready made loops, Just samples of the individual instruments.
Old 11.11.2003, 12:17 AM

Quote:
You're talking about the synthesizer and not about the sequencer? Just wanna make sure that I understand you. Well... I'm trying to find out how my indigo II works, especielly in multi-mode. The manual could be better . I miss the tips, but that's why I'm here to get some back-up and you seem to know what you're talking about.
im talking about the synth itself....for example if u have a seperate drum sound on each of the 16 parts...then set the appegiator mode to "hold" on each of the parts...u can scroll through the parts in multi/multi-single mode and trigger each drum off....

having said all that though....my honest opinion is sequence in cubase rather than use the appegiators for this task...it will give more editing options and the like....

by the way, to loop in cubase..all u have to do is set the left and right locators to your desired loop length, and highlight the loop function...(im using cubase vst32 by the way) .....press play and your looped.....after u create your loop, then u can copy and paste the parts of the loop to create the general structure of your track..

hope this helps ya out a little....
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 11.11.2003, 04:09 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I use a Machinedrum from Elektron (Sweden). It's great for electro or industrial. You can check it at machinedrum.com. I'm giving you hardware examples. Another possibility is an MPC 1000 or a used MPC 2000 from Akai (Japan). These two are my choices for drums and sequencing.

As far as cubase goes, you are going to want a drum soft synth or sampler to make the loops. It is possible to make them on the Indigo, but it would be easier to sample the indigo and use a dedicated unit to put it together into a drum sequence or loops. Look around and try some demo versions of software to see what you like. Use www.synthzone.com for references.
Old 13.11.2003, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
im talking about the synth itself....for example if u have a seperate drum sound on each of the 16 parts...then set the appegiator mode to "hold" on each of the parts...u can scroll through the parts in multi/multi-single mode and trigger each drum off....

having said all that though....my honest opinion is sequence in cubase rather than use the appegiators for this task...it will give more editing options and the like....

by the way, to loop in cubase..all u have to do is set the left and right locators to your desired loop length, and highlight the loop function...(im using cubase vst32 by the way) .....press play and your looped.....after u create your loop, then u can copy and paste the parts of the loop to create the general structure of your track..

hope this helps ya out a little....
Yeah, thank you very much, that was very descriptive.