Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 27.06.2007, 10:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran

you sound pure jammin mate.... happy days ahead.

Today I said to my wee one... okay what do you want to do, walk in the park or go on a bus. She chose bus.... so i'm getting us ready for the big bus outing.. packed lunch n stuff...we don't get to go on public transport much because we're toffs. *cough... aye right ye are lol
Old 28.06.2007, 08:23 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

Ah the joys of getting your bones rattled. I'm looking forward to those sort of days
Old 01.08.2007, 12:53 AM
New here
New here

Interesting topic.
For me music is more like a break from real world. I unfortunately don't have a job I like. I'm not complaining $$ wise but still that isn't something that I enjoy doing so when I get home, play with my kid (very often my 3 year old daughter brings her Korgmicro X to me and asks for a mic so she can sing to the patches and that's quality time ), help my wife, do whatever I have to do and then after all day just put my headphones on and build some sounds on the TI or just listen to old vinyls looking for samples and etc. Few hours per week if I'm lucky but they are mine. I don't give a crap if I'll ever release any of the stuff I do it but I will surely keep doing it. Not for others but for that quality time I have doing it.
In my opinion anybody that starts to work under pressure will in most cases fail in the long run or music will become 'another job/hobby' cause of the stress related to it and not enough entertainement.

As for gear... In Future Music (not sure which issue) one guy stated something like this. '...the more gear I had the more time I was spending setting/tweaking it all up just to realise that in the end I was making less music than before when I had just one synth...'

It's so true.
I only have a Virus B and Virus TI, Gigastudio for natural sounds and MPC for beats and cuts and honestly I'm not looking into expanding my setup anytime soon. There is simply no need to. creativity is what makes the difference. just my .02

PS hope you all understand what I just wrote lol as my English isn't very good.

Last edited by D4F : 01.08.2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01.08.2007, 03:17 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4F View Post
As for gear... In Future Music (not sure which issue) one guy stated something like this. '...the more gear I had the more time I was spending setting/tweaking it all up just to realise that in the end I was making less music than before when I had just one synth...'
Yeh there is alot of truth in that, but you can also burn alot of time trying to coax sounds out of gear that just cant do the job. Its fine balance between a broad sound palette that you can still usefully work with and a simply too much stuff to get anything done.

Im very much coming round to the view that the ideal core setup is a decent rompler, drum machine, very good and flexible VA (ie virus ti at the moment) and a real analog synth. Not sure that the drom is quite characterful enough to be that real analog - maybe sunsyn, code8 or voyager. Anything on top of that is the occasional and/or simple to use stuff or a synth that does something really unqiue - v-synth for eg.

BTW - what do you keep your virus B for?
Old 01.08.2007, 05:37 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4F View Post
PS hope you all understand what I just wrote lol as my English isn't very good.
You takin the Mick ???
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 01.08.2007, 06:53 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
BTW - what do you keep your virus B for?
I got used to it
I am actually thinking to sell it and get something else but honestly nothing catches my eye.
Old 01.08.2007, 06:54 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The girl next door View Post
You takin the Mick ???
What means 'taking the Mick'??
Old 18.08.2007, 12:01 AM
New here
New here

It means you must be joking because your english is great!
Old 19.08.2007, 06:12 AM
New here
New here

This is a great thread and honestly, kinda brought tears to my eyes. In an attempt not to be too sentimental, I can so relate on so much of what has been said.

I keep pressuring myself to do this stuff and of course, it never gets done. I also hate my job and play way too many video games to release myself from it. Well, not as much as I used to I guess. I know I want to do music, but damn, it sure isn't the easiest thing to do. I suppose I've had way too many instant gratification things thrown at me over the years.

It is such a major effort to get me into my little studio. Once I'm there, time can pass by and I do accomplish things. It's the matter of just planting myself on the bench, turning on my synths and getting to it.

Hmm, I don't know what I'm trying to add to this discussion. Perhaps another angle. People with low motivation?
Old 20.08.2007, 12:23 AM
New here
New here

Lol, confession time. Apologies in advance - I just feel like expressing myself and letting it all out!

Making music is actually a big problem of mine, like an unhealthy addiction.

It keeps me up all night, fools me by making me think I'll enjoy it and be good at it. I get depressed because I can't even write a simple arpeggio over two chords. My drums sound thin and crap. I play it far too loud through my headphones, I think I'm addicted to the intensity of the volume. I've been writing for about 6-7 years and have deleted every track I've ever made because when I listen back they sound terrible. I'm learning how to be a web developer and a programmer and the added pressure of learning compression, eq, sound design, music theory etc leaves my brain no time for rest. I'm far too determined for my own good, I can easily loop a chord progression for 3 hours without taking a break, and at the end of it have made nothing and go to bed. I have a ridiculous amount of samples and software installed that cost me loads of money and time to aquire.

I've quit loads of times before, and when I do I get out more, meet mates, exercise etc. But like an alcoholic I get sucked back in by the 'just a little' idea and the vicious circle continues. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy and I love music so I figure I should be able to write good music, but it's just not that simple.

Anyway, it's only a few months since I realised I have an OCD problem with producing. I've been so ignorant for so long. I sold some gear but never got round to selling my virus, so I'll do that ASAP. I'm just about to get rid of all my software and samples and I'll have to have the self discipline to say no in the future. The cognitive dissonance is crushing me and I'm better than that, my life isn't too bad otherwise.

Do I win the most depressed post of the year award or what! I hope no-one else feels this way and you all have a great time making music.

All the best.